Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 06:30 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jimmy Galligan is an 18-year-old college freshman from Leesburg, Virginia. He may also be cancel culture's Count of Monte Cristo.

Some months ago, Galligan—who is biracial—posted a years' old, three-second video of a white, female classmate using a racial slur. Galligan had sat on the video for a long time, waiting for the moment it would do the most damage. After the girl—a cheerleader named Mimi Groves—was accepted to the University of Tennessee, the time had come.

"I wanted to get her where she would understand the severity of that word," said Galligan.

The video depicted Groves, who was 15 at the time, and had just obtained her learner's permit, saying "I can drive, [slur]." The remark was not directed at anyone in particular. The brief video clip featuring it circulated on Snapchat until it was obtained and saved by Galligan, who had grown furious at how often he heard his white classmates using the N-word.

Galligan shared it publicly in June. In response, Groves lost her spot on UT's cheerleading squad. Then the university pressured her to withdraw from the school entirely. The admissions office had apparently received hundreds of messages from irate alumni demanding blood. Groves is now attending a community college.

https://reason.com/2020/12/28/new-yo...n-mimi-groves/

The mainstream media are partners in the Left's Cultural Revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 07:31 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
What's disturbing is the number of white people who are on board with this. I think what's happening is that whites are so afraid that someone somewhere will call them a "racist," that they are now quick and eager to point at others and cry "racist!" They think that engaging in such will take the heat off themselves.

Pandering and virtue-signaling aren't a shield.

Last edited by Absolom; 12-29-2020 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-29-2020, 07:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
This boy Jimmy strikes me as an effete little hater who had it out for this girl through high school. She was a pretty blonde cheerleader and he was a biracial boy with some sexual confusion. She said “I can drive, n****s” after getting her license. For this grave offense he held the 3-second video clip for over TWO YEARS, waiting for his big moment. That’s the behavior of a very angry and messed-up young man.

The University of Tennessee reacted in a most typically woke fashion: get themselves away from the girl as quickly as possible. Imagine that. An institute of higher learning didn’t feel like turning this into a teachable moment.

This young man will get his some day. Oh yes he will.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:47 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
This boy Jimmy strikes me as an effete little hater who had it out for this girl through high school. She was a pretty blonde cheerleader and he was a biracial boy with some sexual confusion. She said “I can drive, n****s” after getting her license. For this grave offense he held the 3-second video clip for over TWO YEARS, waiting for his big moment. That’s the behavior of a very angry and messed-up young man.

The University of Tennessee reacted in a most typically woke fashion: get themselves away from the girl as quickly as possible. Imagine that. An institute of higher learning didn’t feel like turning this into a teachable moment.

This young man will get his some day. Oh yes he will.

Yes. I saw this on the news last night and thought the same thing. The boy is twisted. He probably had a crush on her and she wouldn't give him the time of day. He looks like a troubled kid. The school kids are lucky he didn't have access to guns because he has issues for holding a grudge like that for so long.

It has to be tough for kids these days with rap music being so popular. How does a white kid rap along to her favorite tune without uttering the N word? Do they just skip it or say it? The N word is so prominent in the black culture that white kids are trying to emulate of course they will pick up the word and use it.

It's not like she was a member of the KKK and was seen setting a cross on fire.

The girl was 15 at the time and the Left is poised to destroy her for making a stupid mistake.

She has a lawyer and I hope she can sue the pants off the university making them rethink their knee jerk reaction to nonsense like this. They really missed a teachable moment.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:49 AM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Welcome to the world of social media where everything is placed under a microscope and the most minor event becomes front page news. There was a time when these minor incidents would have never seen the light of day but now every small transgression deserves national attention. The boy who posted this sounds very vindictive and no question this was premeditated, if it bothered him so much at the time he should have acted then not only on this incident but all the others he claimed.

I understand the difficulty in a university standing up to this but they really need to pass judgement based on the severity and other extenuating circumstances.

Students do so many foolish things on social media including posting compromising pictures of themselves, you wonder what they are thinking. What do they think will happen when they apply for a job, the first thing is to search on their history.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Welcome to the world of social media where everything is placed under a microscope and the most minor event becomes front page news. There was a time when these minor incidents would have never seen the light of day but now every small transgression deserves national attention. The boy who posted this sounds very vindictive and no question this was premeditated, if it bothered him so much at the time he should have acted then not only on this incident but all the others he claimed.

I understand the difficulty in a university standing up to this but they really need to pass judgement based on the severity and other extenuating circumstances.

Students do so many foolish things on social media including posting compromising pictures of themselves, you wonder what they are thinking. What do they think will happen when they apply for a job, the first thing is to search on their history.
Great post, Goodnight! Very well-measured response.

My kids are grown now, but oy, if they were still in school we’d be having some very serious discussions with them about the importance of clean conduct.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Social media was a game changer.

Moral of the story is don’t engage in behavior that one day may be posted to YouTube.

I strive not to offend and take no offense.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:05 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,219,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Social media was a game changer.

Moral of the story is don’t engage in behavior that one day may be posted to YouTube.

I strive not to offend and take no offense.
Yep, but people will still vilify the poster of the media.

I had the sense to instill in my child that having thoughts and saying (posting, etc.) thoughts are two different things. The internet is forever.

Poor parenting in my opinion.

I get it cancel culture is way overblown but by the same token you want to play stupid games (and say stupid things) you win stupid prizes. Congrats.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:07 AM

If we as a nation are going into the business of treating children like adults we may as well let them start smoking, drinking, and joining the military at 15.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:12 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
"I’m going to remind myself, you started something," Jimmy Galligan told the paper. "You taught someone a lesson.”
He may learn a lesson himself, the cancel culture moves in multiple directions.

We need new laws for our new technology. Sharing videos and pictures of minors without permission, especially ones which have been deleted by the original poster, allowed to be grounds for a civil suit might have to be a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies