Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 01:07 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
And so will you. Oh yes you will.

What exactly is wrong with being sexually confused or biracial. It’s not exactly in the same league as calling people ******s. If he were to posted on Facebook that he was sexually confused, and you feel personally hurt by that admission, forward that to his college choice and stand back while nothing happens.
Slow your damn roll here. Nobody has made ANY derogatory remarks about this young man’s sexuality OR his race. Are you suggesting that we can’t even have a conversation in which the topic comes up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 01:13 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
And so will you. Oh yes you will.

What exactly is wrong with being sexually confused or biracial. It’s not exactly in the same league as calling people ******s. If he were to posted on Facebook that he was sexually confused, and you feel personally hurt by that admission, forward that to his college choice and stand back while nothing happens.
The kid is a rat bastard if I've ever known one.

He sat on this video to sabotage the poor girl's life.

She had dreams, in Tennessee and elsewhere, with friends and family who loved her. She cussed because she was excited, not because she wanted to hurt anyone.

This isn't civil rights, this isn't activism. This is domestic harassments, and that monster should pay.

He is a despicable miscreant who is miserable with his own life and wants to destroy others.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:15 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Why do you think he waited for over two years until she announced her admission into that school to “out” her? What do you suggest he thought would happen when he did what he did?
My understanding is he only had the video for one year and he tweeted it after she had sent out a pro BLM message. He was trying to call out her hypocrisy. I don't know that it was related to her college admission. But even if he did want to effect her college admission, it still does not justify the level of hate, bullying and death threats he is getting. I can say he was wrong to send his original tweet without hating him or wishing ill on him. I think this is where adults step up and act like adults.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
My understanding is he only had the video for one year and he tweeted it after she had sent out a pro BLM message. He was trying to call out her hypocrisy. I don't know that it was related to her college admission. But even if he did want to effect her college admission, it still does not justify the level of hate, bullying and death threats he is getting. I can say he was wrong to send his original tweet without hating him or wishing ill on him. I think this is where adults step up and act like adults.
Have you actually read the NYT piece on this? Do you feel there is some substantial difference somehow between one year or two years when we’re talking about someone premeditating a course of action to destroy another person’s young life?

His actions were nothing short of malicious and even a little sociopathic. He’s an adult now himself, and will have to accept the consequences of his actions. He went proudly public over it. That’s on him.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:26 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If they are going to brand as "racist" and deny admission to every single person who ever uttered that word, the number of black students at that school is going to drop. This is a fact.
If they were caught on video like she was then I would agree.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:27 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

She had dreams, in Tennessee and elsewhere, with friends and family who loved her. She cussed because she was excited, not because she wanted to hurt anyone.

This isn't civil rights, this isn't activism. This is domestic harassments, and that monster should pay.

He is a despicable miscreant who is miserable with his own life and wants to destroy others.
It’s activism. I do not know if he is miserable with his own life or if he is why he is. Maybe you are more familiar with the 2 teens’ story and can comment.
Yeah, it sucks for her. I agree with that to. She did bring it on herself and it was not a random act of aggression for doing nothing.
I don’t agree with him being despicable. Vengeful yes, but maybe he has a good reason. Again, I only know what I read.
If I knew her, I would encourage her to use this as a pivotal situation in her young life and to make it work for her on her own path. She did seem stuck in the one story that read and that is really a shame. This could be defining in a positive way.

How do you think he should “pay”?.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:35 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I read the article. Here is a pertinent part of it:

I tend to take any complaint of racial injustice with a healthy helping of salt, thanks to all the exaggerations and outright hoaxes there have been. But let's take this at face value. Galligan attended a school in a county where there used to be slave auctions (how this is relevant, I have no idea) and that racial slurs are widespread. OK, sure, that would be quite annoying. So maybe Galligan was massively aggrieved. But nowhere in the article does it say that Groves, specifically, said or did anything against him, specifically. In fact, it is not even stated whether the two of them were acquainted or not. So how does his free-floating irritation against a climate of name-calling justify his specifically targeted attack against her?

Oh, and I saw nothing in the article about any incidents at the University of Tennessee. I hope that Groves sues them, and I hope she makes them feel some of the pain they inflicted on her.
You can take the claim of racial injustice with a grain of salt but there was an independent study by the district confirming the problem. I'm not defending Galligan quite the opposite , there is no excuse for the way he handles this so vindictively waiting years to raise the issue.

The fact that this school tolerates this behavior in general is in an area where slaves were auctioned is relevant to the story as is both of their parents and other background.

This is an story that raises many issues but the NYT isn't the story, this was all over social media and the local newspapers for months but the NYT is the problem?

Quote:
A report commissioned last year by the school district documented a pattern of school leaders ignoring the widespread use of racial slurs by both students and teachers, fostering a “growing sense of despair” among students of color, some of whom faced disproportionate disciplinary measures compared with white students.
as far as UT, you can see there was reason for the pressure to deny admission but I think they were wrong.

Quote:
For the University of Tennessee, the outrage over Ms. Groves followed a string of negative publicity over racist incidents at its flagship campus in Knoxville. Last year, Snapchat photos of students wearing blackface and mocking the Black Lives Matter movement went viral, shortly after a student was suspended by her sorority for referring to Black people with a racial slur in an online video. In 2018, swastikas and other hateful messages were painted on campus, months after white supremacists hosted an event during Black History Month.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:37 PM

I think this young man may find people reluctant to grow close with him, teachers unwilling to challenge him but more likely to push him through courses, and maybe even a reluctance of employers to take a chance on such a vindictive activist.

Most likely by the time he graduates this will be forgotten. Except on the internet. He may one day wish there wasn’t evidence of his actions left behind ... just like the girl.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:40 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

That is not a fair comparison: To despicable miscreants.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:40 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Great post, Goodnight! Very well-measured response.

My kids are grown now, but oy, if they were still in school we’d be having some very serious discussions with them about the importance of clean conduct.
I am old but just imagine if every stupid thing I did in my life was video taped, thank god we didn't have social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies