Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 01:54 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Gee what a glib response. No biggie right? That girl should have thought twice before saying a common phrase to her friend when she was a kid. Geez, we give more allowances for juvenile criminal offenses than this. It should be unacceptable, but people just pass it off like no big deal.
I dont know where your from but most kids dont say that word. If your going to say it and post it on snapchat then make sure only your friends can see it not the general public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 01:55 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Right.

The "internet is forever" message is an important one to learn early. Unfortunately, many people have to learn the hard way.

I think cancel culture has gone way too far. But I do think it's important that people learn accountability for their actions. Should a college student potentially have their life ruined for uttering a slur when they were 15? No way. But the rest of the world should use these examples as lessons - think about what you say, and make damn sure you don't record/post anything that can be used against you later on.

I do find it odd that a bunch of (presumably) grown adults on this thread wasted zero time before speculating about a teenager's sexuality. That's more telling to me than any of the "news" about the way this video was used. The kid definitely leveraged the system for maximum effect, but maybe focus the conversation on what's wrong with the system rather than trying to guess what's making him tick sexually... that's just weird.
Accountability for saying a stupid word that wasn’t even meant in an offensive way? Yeah sure. If she would have only been convicted and sent to juvi her record would be sealed. You people are ridiculous.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:56 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,247 times
Quote:
Accountability for saying a stupid word that wasn’t even meant in an offensive way? Yeah sure. If she would have only been convicted and sent to juvi her record would be sealed. You people are ridiculous.
How about you make a video of you saying it and post it for us to see?

Old 12-29-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I dont know where your from but most kids dont say that word. If your going to say it and post it on snapchat then make sure only your friends can see it not the general public.
Where I’m from is reality. Kids who listen to hip hop think that word is acceptable slang. I’m sorry if people can’t handle a freaking word. I don’t say it and I tell my kids that they shouldn’t either, but to ruin a girl’s life over it is messed up in the extreme.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:58 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Please stop being antagonistic. It serves no purpose.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:59 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
My understanding is he only had the video for one year and he tweeted it after she had sent out a pro BLM message. He was trying to call out her hypocrisy. I don't know that it was related to her college admission. But even if he did want to effect her college admission, it still does not justify the level of hate, bullying and death threats he is getting. I can say he was wrong to send his original tweet without hating him or wishing ill on him. I think this is where adults step up and act like adults.
You and apparently many other people on here did not read the NYT article.

—The boy held on to the video for THREE years. He timed the release to cause maximum damage to the girl.
He admits this freely.

—The boy regrets nothing. The article concludes with how he is proud that he has ruined her life and that he has taught her a lesson. He is a self righteous prick.

—The boy’s father is white. At gatherings with his mother’s (black) family, the n word is thrown around. His father said it once, jokingly. The boy then took his father aside privately to explain why he couldn’t say that word. A grown man is given the benefit of the doubt, but not a girl who was 15 at the time.

—The boy now attends Vanguard University, a Christian college in California. The school is virulently anti- LGBT, which some might say is hateful. More to the point is that the boy, in his rush to pass judgment, publicly shame, and hurt someone, is hardly the mode of Christian behavior.

I hope the girl sues him and UT and wins a pot full of money.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
No thanks, because people are nuts. I’m an adult though. This girl was a kid and the intent of the word should matter.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:00 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Social media was a game changer.

Moral of the story is don’t engage in behavior that one day may be posted to YouTube.

I strive not to offend and take no offense.
What a relief to know that you are perfect.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:02 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Where I’m from is reality. Kids who listen to hip hop think that word is acceptable slang. I’m sorry if people can’t handle a freaking word. I don’t say it and I tell my kids that they shouldn’t l, but to ruin a girl’s life over it is messed up in the extreme.
I love Dave Chappelle and I’m not going to lie: when I repeat funny quotes from his skits in his goofy voice I say it just the way he did. Without care or concern.

Do I do it on video for the public? No. I have no reason to. But the word is one with many contexts. It’s not always intended as a racial slur. Young people identify with the phrase “my n***a” as a term of endearment for a friend. It’s been used this way for many decades. While I don’t recommend it’s use, I will defend its use when done in such a manner.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I love Dave Chappelle and I’m not going to lie: when I repeat funny quotes from his skits in his goofy voice I say it just the way he did. Without care or concern.

Do I do it on video for the public? No. I have no reason to. But the word is one with many contexts. It’s not always intended as a racial slur. Young people identify with the phrase “my n***a” as a term of endearment for a friend. It’s been used this way for many decades. While I don’t recommend it’s use, I will defend its use when done in such a manner.
I agree, though I have strived to make my kids understand that even though their friends use it (they’re black), they cannot do it. I just have a hard time understanding how people put so much power into words. People tell me dumb blonde jokes all the time and I just laugh with them. I know they don’t mean it in a negative way. We are creating victims left and right, and the newfound freak out over name calling is adding to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies