Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 01:40 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
It’s activism. I do not know if he is miserable with his own life or if he is why he is. Maybe you are more familiar with the 2 teens’ story and can comment.
Yeah, it sucks for her. I agree with that to. She did bring it on herself and it was not a random act of aggression for doing nothing.
I don’t agree with him being despicable. Vengeful yes, but maybe he has a good reason. Again, I only know what I read.
If I knew her, I would encourage her to use this as a pivotal situation in her young life and to make it work for her on her own path. She did seem stuck in the one story that read and that is really a shame. This could be defining in a positive way.

How do you think he should “pay”?.
What he did was pretty shady but she should have not said that, let alone doing it on video. i'm sure its not her only time doing this.

Its not acceptable whether your 10 or 50 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 01:42 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just imagine if every stupid thing we have done in our lives was video taped.
I would be utterly screwed. Honestly.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:43 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I think this young man may find people reluctant to grow close with him, teachers unwilling to challenge him but more likely to push him through courses, and maybe even a reluctance of employers to take a chance on such a vindictive activist.

Most likely by the time he graduates this will be forgotten. Except on the internet. He may one day wish there wasn’t evidence of his actions left behind ... just like the girl.
Hard to know how these kind of viral stories change the people who are involved.
I can’t make any predictions or how either of their lives will unfold. I understand the motivations and feelings of both of the actors. That is what makes it interesting to me.

As for my own story, I remember how bad it felt to have pennies thrown at me when I walked down the hall of my high school being the only jew in my class. I can tell you I still remember the anger and shame many years later.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:46 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
What he did was pretty shady but she should have not said that, let alone doing it on video. i'm sure its not her only time doing this.

So, is that word acceptable to be used or not? If the answer is no, then everyone who uses it, including black rappers, should be similarly shamed. But if the answer is "it depends," then consider the context in which she used it. It was just a word, used (as far as I can tell) without any malice toward any person or group. How is her use of the word any worse than when black rappers use it? And please don't say that black people can use it but white people can't, because that is blatantly racist.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post

Had she used the word in a derogatory fashion I might agree with you, but she used the slang version in an extremely common manner to describe her excitement. Context matters. She is a white girl who attended a school with many black students (and apparently even staff?) who used the term constantly. The music her schoolmates listened to uses the term constantly. There was nothing malicious about her action. She was a girl who just received her driver’s permit and recorded the moment for a friend.

This isn’t an incident that rides to the challenge of racism. Not even close.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:49 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Social media was a game changer.

Moral of the story is don’t engage in behavior that one day may be posted to YouTube.

I strive not to offend and take no offense.
Gee what a glib response. No biggie right? That girl should have thought twice before saying a common phrase to her friend when she was a kid. Geez, we give more allowances for juvenile criminal offenses than this. It should be unacceptable, but people just pass it off like no big deal.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Hard to know how these kind of viral stories change the people who are involved.
I can’t make any predictions or how either of their lives will unfold. I understand the motivations and feelings of both of the actors. That is what makes it interesting to me.

As for my own story, I remember how bad it felt to have pennies thrown at me when I walked down the hall of my high school being the only jew in my class. I can tell you I still remember the anger and shame many years later.
I’m ethnically Hawaiian, married to a Jewish man. We both know the kind of subtle prejudices that exist and even directed our way in our lifetimes. We are both hard bark people though, and rose above it. In my day I would have simply beat the ass of anyone going racial on me ... with my parents’ approval. Things are much different now.

In my opinion this event should have never risen to the level it did. That’s the power of our media and their desire to keep division alive and well. I can think of so many ways the University of Tennessee could have handled this to the satisfaction of all parties. Instead they went with current cancel culture dictates and cut bait with her.

2,313 posts, read 2,508,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
So, is that word acceptable to be used or not? If the answer is no, then everyone who uses it, including black rappers, should be similarly shamed. But if the answer is "it depends," then consider the context in which she used it. It was just a word, used (as far as I can tell) without any malice toward any person or group. How is her use of the word any worse than when black rappers use it? And please don't say that black people can use it but white people can't, because that is blatantly racist.
The black rappers are not the ones applying for college. You or her can use the word and post it on video if you want but be aware of the consequences.

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Yep, but people will still vilify the poster of the media.

I had the sense to instill in my child that having thoughts and saying (posting, etc.) thoughts are two different things. The internet is forever.

Poor parenting in my opinion.

I get it cancel culture is way overblown but by the same token you want to play stupid games (and say stupid things) you win stupid prizes. Congrats.
Yeah, that kid who held onto a video and waited until it would do the most damage was really great huh? What a hero for ruining someone’s opportunities over a word that wasn’t even meant in a negative way. GMAB

Old 12-29-2020, 01:52 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
It’s activism. I do not know if he is miserable with his own life or if he is why he is. Maybe you are more familiar with the 2 teens’ story and can comment.
Yeah, it sucks for her. I agree with that to. She did bring it on herself and it was not a random act of aggression for doing nothing.
I don’t agree with him being despicable. Vengeful yes, but maybe he has a good reason. Again, I only know what I read.
If I knew her, I would encourage her to use this as a pivotal situation in her young life and to make it work for her on her own path. She did seem stuck in the one story that read and that is really a shame. This could be defining in a positive way.

How do you think he should “pay”?.
I was born in Montgomery county, just north of Loudoun.

My cousin went to school in that county.

Upper middle class, with a black kids from Scotland (public housing).

This Galligan kid is privileged but miserable.

Times are different today, most kids who are depressed are slackers, while popular/happy students do most of the work.

I know girls like Mimi, they work hard and want to achieve something, and she DID!

So he went along and destroyed her future, because everyone must be as sad and miserable as him.

I have no sympathies for him, he has all the tools to better his life if he wants to, he is a slacker who uses his own family. At least the girl could have gotten some joy and happiness out of life, but he just ruined it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies