Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 08:13 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Social media was a game changer.

Moral of the story is don’t engage in behavior that one day may be posted to YouTube.

I strive not to offend and take no offense.
The problem with that is, what you may find to be non-offensive and even innocuous is completely offensive to someone somewhere. And if that person ticks of the right boxes on the victim chart, your life and reputation can be turned upside down.

I would suggest keeping one's head down and never saying anything, but then they say "silence is violence."

You can't win. That's the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 08:13 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
If we as a nation are going into the business of treating children like adults we may as well let them start smoking, drinking, and joining the military at 15.
Hell, why wait that long? Once they are able to start posting stuff - they should be responsible, right? (sarcasm)

The problem here appears that this girls slur was not directed at anyone and she was using a "typical" (albeit offensive) vernacular among friends (and yes, we've all seen this on the internet).

In the end, they are condemning people for what they did while young with the assumption that one never learns anything beyond that one point in time. I'm sure many people who support this young man also believe in the rehabilitation of prisoners.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:14 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:

Moral of the story is don’t engage in behavior that one day may be posted to YouTube.

And don’t be a white kid who thinks using the word n****r is cool just because black people use it.

For the record, I think this kid who did this to this girl is absolute scum.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:16 AM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:

Even in the era of "social media," expecting kids to conduct themselves like they possess fully developed and flawless adult sensibilities while they navigate some of the most difficult times of their lives so that absolutely no deviation from perfect conduct will haunt them in their adult lives is absolutely asinine. If you can't be stupid when you're 15, when the hell can you be? It's hard enough for adults to live in a world with a quickly vanishing sense of grace, never mind teenagers. If the online mob decides one day you've offended them in some way, they won't care a whit how hard you strove not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
And don’t be a white kid who thinks using the word n****r is cool just because black people use it.

For the record, I think this kid who did this to this girl is absolute scum.
The people who run the institutions that gave him this kind of power are the scum. The the pitchfork-wielders at the NYT and the spineless cowards at UT should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by Bitey; 12-29-2020 at 08:27 AM..

Old 12-29-2020, 08:17 AM

25,776 posts, read 18,834,175 times
What BS.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:37 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Yep, but people will still vilify the poster of the media.

I had the sense to instill in my child that having thoughts and saying (posting, etc.) thoughts are two different things. The internet is forever.

Poor parenting in my opinion.

I get it cancel culture is way overblown but by the same token you want to play stupid games (and say stupid things) you win stupid prizes. Congrats.
Right.

The "internet is forever" message is an important one to learn early. Unfortunately, many people have to learn the hard way.

I think cancel culture has gone way too far. But I do think it's important that people learn accountability for their actions. Should a college student potentially have their life ruined for uttering a slur when they were 15? No way. But the rest of the world should use these examples as lessons - think about what you say, and make damn sure you don't record/post anything that can be used against you later on.

I do find it odd that a bunch of (presumably) grown adults on this thread wasted zero time before speculating about a teenager's sexuality. That's more telling to me than any of the "news" about the way this video was used. The kid definitely leveraged the system for maximum effect, but maybe focus the conversation on what's wrong with the system rather than trying to guess what's making him tick sexually... that's just weird.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:43 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Right.

The "internet is forever" message is an important one to learn early. Unfortunately, many people have to learn the hard way.

I think cancel culture has gone way too far. But I do think it's important that people learn accountability for their actions. Should a college student potentially have their life ruined for uttering a slur when they were 15? No way. But the rest of the world should use these examples as lessons - think about what you say, and make damn sure you don't record/post anything that can be used against you later on.

I do find it odd that a bunch of (presumably) grown adults on this thread wasted zero time before speculating about a teenager's sexuality. That's more telling to me than any of the "news" about the way this video was used. The kid definitely leveraged the system for maximum effect, but maybe focus the conversation on what's wrong with the system rather than trying to guess what's making him tick sexually... that's just weird.
Again, anything you say can later be used against you. Even the most innocuous statement or sentiment can be turned against you.

It's not what is said, it's who says it and who's offended.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:46 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Right.

There’s photos on the internet of him wearing lipstick and pouting like a woman into the camera. I think it’s fair to deduce that he may indeed be suffering from sexual identity confusion.

If it’s ok for him to ruin this girl’s life over an internet video then he is certainly game for discussion of his sexuality based on photos he himself has posted online.

These are the unintended consequences of bringing national attention to ones self.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:04 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Again, anything you say can later be used against you. Even the most innocuous statement or sentiment can be turned against you.

It's not what is said, it's who says it and who's offended.
So what? It doesn't take a neurosurgeon to understand the varying degrees of risk/consequences here, right? If you're a white person and you use the N-word on social media, it's not going to end well. Period. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Was the dude who blew up her spot petty and vindictive? Absolutely. Should she have been dropped from the cheerleading program and pressured to leave school? Hell no. All of that is indicative of a systemic problem.

Both of those paragraphs can be true at the same time.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:09 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:

just an end around via "social media" to bring about "1984" reality........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies