Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 06:47 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Let's be very clear here..there is NO such thing as canceling,slashing, or eliminating student debt. It only means transferring that cost to other taxpayers. Costs don't disappear, so if the students aren't paying; someone else is.

Exactly. How can they justify stealing from tax payers to pay for others choice? What about tax payers who didn't take out thousands of loans? What if they get free college and are still useless and provide nothing to society? Is it deducted from their welfare? Do they have to pay it back via their taxes since you are automatically successful after going to college? Is there a cap? Can you go forever? Do they refund just the cost of tuition and books or do they also subsidize peoples room and board and partying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 07:53 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I think you are right about that. His words often got him in trouble. Even if they were truth, thats beside the point.

It got really bad toward the end when his frustration and anger (which a lot of us had too) permeated his speeches, and the constant re-litigation of all that went on in his last rally on the 6th.

However, some people listened to news that was always slanted with hate against Trump, and never good news. If you listen to those CNN, MSNBC, etc, you will automatically develop a whole different opinion of Trump than if you listed to Fox news. so with that, already it is biased against Trump. You will hate him if you listen to those. so already, thats going to work against him for 5 years. People loved him when he was the Apprentice.
Surely you can appreciate being a fan of "Boss who can definitely be an a-hole on a reality game show" where you passively watch and it doesn't affect you at all unless you are a contestant or employee is far different than having said person now being the actual president of your country, where it can now affect your life in different ways.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:03 PM

1,018 posts, read 511,275 times
If he sent out stimulus in last week of October.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Surely you can appreciate being a fan of "Boss who can definitely be an a-hole on a reality game show" where you passively watch and it doesn't affect you at all unless you are a contestant or employee is far different than having said person now being the actual president of your country, where it can now affect your life in different ways.
Good point! and you actually wrote my game plan to survive whatsoever comes from the daily happenings. As long as things are outside my environment, and my activities, it doesn't really affect me, but lets say those same people raise my taxes, now they have invaded my environment and yes it will hurt. Hmm maybe that gives me a clue about why Trump was a nonthreat to me.. because nothing he did really affected me in a bad way. But truth be told, i am very concerned about how total Dem control of the government will affect me.. there are some pretty scary things they are trying to make law.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:31 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times
Quote:
Good point! and you actually wrote my game plan to survive whatsoever comes from the daily happenings. As long as things are outside my environment, and my activities, it doesn't really affect me, but lets say those same people raise my taxes, now they have invaded my environment and yes it will hurt. Hmm maybe that gives me a clue about why Trump was a nonthreat to me.. because nothing he did really affected me in a bad way. But truth be told, i am very concerned about how total Dem control of the government will affect me.. there are some pretty scary things they are trying to make law.
You can take heart that the Dem control in all 3 won't be as much of a majority as it could be. I'm a moderate Independent, so I'm not hoping for everything someone in the D party would want or anything. It's tied in the Senate and maybe Kamala can break a tie, but it's not like 67 D and 33 R or a bigger disparity where it would be much easier to pass.

Honestly, I am at least pleased that McConnell won't be Majority Leader any more since it means there won't be a pile of laws not even getting to a vote. Sure, they may not be passed necessarily, but they shouldn't be so hampered in this manner. Small but important.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
You can take heart that the Dem control in all 3 won't be as much of a majority as it could be. I'm a moderate Independent, so I'm not hoping for everything someone in the D party would want or anything. It's tied in the Senate and maybe Kamala can break a tie, but it's not like 67 D and 33 R or a bigger disparity where it would be much easier to pass.

Honestly, I am at least pleased that McConnell won't be Majority Leader any more since it means there won't be a pile of laws not even getting to a vote. Sure, they may not be passed necessarily, but they shouldn't be so hampered in this manner. Small but important.
I think the moderate Dems will probably keep some things in check. time will tell. The House is pretty closely split too so perhaps there is some help there. I am one who believes in checks and balances and not having total power like what i perceive could happen in the next 4 years.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I think you are right about that. His words often got him in trouble. Even if they were truth, thats beside the point.

It got really bad toward the end when his frustration and anger (which a lot of us had too) permeated his speeches, and the constant re-litigation of all that went on in his last rally on the 6th.

However, some people listened to news that was always slanted with hate against Trump, and never good news. If you listen to those CNN, MSNBC, etc, you will automatically develop a whole different opinion of Trump than if you listed to Fox news. so with that, already it is biased against Trump. You will hate him if you listen to those. so already, thats going to work against him for 5 years. People loved him when he was the Apprentice.
And I believe that's the error that got him elected in 2016. I never saw that show. It was barely on my radar, but I knew it existed, and it seemed like something that this goofball egomanic who loved to get himself in the newspapers in NYC would do--have one of those stupid reality TV shows. No biggie, except that he came to realize that he could get even MORE attention by running for President. Laugh laugh. Donald Trump is running for President!

But all these people who aren't from the NYC metropolitan area and only knew him through the reality TV show thought that whatever they saw on that TV show would make a good leader. I didn't really realize how big an influence that show had or that most of the rest of the country didn't see the same person

People probably most watch the news source that aligns with their own opinions.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:11 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
By taking Covid seriously from the very beginning and not f'ing up the response. That was all he had to do to get a second term and he blew it.

This...also his first debate was so hate filled with anger and the constant interruptions against Biden...showed his true self in a very negative way that was another nail in the coffin.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:37 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
By Trump saying he learned a lot from Ronald Reagan, rather than from Richard Nixon!

Old 01-13-2021, 12:01 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Trump's combative personality and wildly inflammatory racial and cultural rhetoric turned off many people who would otherwise be open to supporting a Republican. A $2k check gambit may have helped him at the margin and might even have put him over the top. But, Trump had burned so many bridges that it was always going to be an uphill climb for him.
Republicans would do well to find a less inflammatory and divisive candidate next time. Biden or Harris aren't exactly great candidates. The GOP should be able to take either down if the dial it back the culture wars stuff and run a candidate that can win more working class minority voters and suburban voters of all colors.

Last edited by jpdivola; 01-13-2021 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies