Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 11:02 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,102 times

Advertisements

Aside from all of his other bad character flaws he could’ve easily won if he had tried the slightest bit to address covid, but he had to lie and gaslight us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 11:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Probably would have won if he stayed off twitter and wore a mask. Will haunt him every day that he could have so easily won re-election. But you can’t fix stupid.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:05 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't think the idea of cancelling student debt would have helped Trump. He could have wiped it out entirely and the "students" still would have voted against him because they have been trained to hate him.

Cancelling student loan debt is a ridiculous idea. These people choose to go to college and take on the expensive burden of loans. Perhaps we should be demanding answers from the universities as to why they charge so much in the first place but a better idea might have been to ask the banks why they charge so much in interest.

The average loan is 5.8% and given the current state of interest rates that is high. You can buy a car for 0%, buy a house for 3-4% and if you have a savings account you are lucky to get a small percentage of 1%.

What if the Feds buy down the interest rate by 1% point. That would save millions literally millions of dollars in the long run.

None of this would have saved Trump against the unprecedented fraud that we have seen.
I just finished reading Colin Powell's memoirs, and one of the biggest thanks he gave, through the years, was a free university education in NY, at the time. Yes, free, subsidized by taxpayers. At one time, in California, if you established residency for one year, the Universities were free!

Something to think about!

Unprecedented fraud? If that's what it takes to Make America Great again, rather than Grate again, then so be it! Consider it a victory for the country!

Old 01-19-2021, 02:10 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
I think a case could be made that bad polling hurt Trump's chances.

Trump started acting like a sore loser even before Election Day and that behavior probably turned off a lot of people who may have voted for him.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Liar, liar pants on fire. Repeating a lie as you did in #2 doesn't mean people will believe you.

As for your first paragraph, that is your opinion. I believe the only thing he really mismanaged was communication. President Trump is impulsive and often says whatever goes into his head. That can cause confusing messaging. He should have left more of that to VP Pence.

It was the Democrats who politicized the virus. And played games. Do I really need to remind you of "peaceful protests" don't spread the virus? Of the Michigan governor kneeling elbow to elbow with a couple of people not wearing masks? Of the Pennsylvania
governor saying it was all political theater when he thought he was off mic? Of Sen. Feinstein telling everyone they had to wear masks in airports but not wearing one herself? Of Pelosi illegally getting a haircut and not even wearing a mask while doing it? And all of them attacking President Trump when he didn't wear a mask?

And do you think its anything other than politics that New York and Chicago are opening up restaurants with Biden safely certified? The virus is killing more people than it has at any time. In the US. In Europe. Germany's deaths have gone up 500% in the last 4 months. Yet now, it is safe to open up? They wanted to destroy the economy in order to hurt the president. They didn't care how many lives they destroyed. I had doubts they were that evil, but people have been predicting this for 6 months. Now they have proven it.
He lost. Obviously he played something wrong.

Why do YOU think he lost then since you reject any other opinions as to why he lost.

In your mind, is there anything he could have done differently? Or is he just perfection and it's everyone else's fault?

Old 01-20-2021, 04:25 PM

676 posts, read 649,217 times
Trump absolutely lost it for himself, it's almost unbelievable how bad of a political blunder this was. Here was a guy fresh off surviving impeachment, riding an economic high that STILL continues to pump money through an unending US stock market rally, and facing a disaster that, if managed soundly like north of the border (and that is extremely relative, Canada's COVID handling is hardly the standard bearer for the world. It's just that the US bungled it so badly, Trudeau now walks around with near impunity) he'd be running an election where a country unified around him to tackle the post-COVID recovery.

For all the supposed claims of his political genius and calculus, this guy just refused to acknowledge evidence contrary to his beliefs and has shown pre and post election. There were so many opportunities to carve a path to victory it's "like a miracle" he blew it up himself. Getting Biden as your opponent could have been gift wrapped for him - here is another old white guy with nothing terribly new to show that was put up solely to be the safe choice against you. Trump likely had advisors telling him he just needed to keep his calm and shoot straight during the debates, emphasize unity against the pandemic response that, by October, should have yielded results similar to Canada at least if he wasn't anti-mask. Nope, instead he went full bore lunatic for almost the entire campaign.

His base it needs to be understood can never constitute remotely the majority of the population. If it was, the US would be set back 50 years and nowhere near the world powerhouse it is today, it'd be a "banana republic" as Bush put it. His base also wouldn't go anywhere else in the polls on a two party system, short of deeply offending them, Trump could have largely ignored mentioning them while making gestures and overtures throughout the year that he took COVID and the economy very seriously, picked up a few % points of moderates in the mid west and we'd be seeing a different outcome.

All in all, Trump, as dislikable and unappealing of a president as he was, had all of the ingredients for a second term. On top of all the other stories, his failure to win it, much like Clinton in 2016, should be a case study for political scientists for years to come. The simple explanation of "he just was a terrible person" doesn't quite fully illustrate the situation.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:44 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,343,092 times
When he first announced the stimulus his approvals jumped. Had he taken the FDR approach and ran solely on economic relief and let Fauchi and Brix take control while staying in the background instead of trolling, whining on Twitter, picking fights with the media and putting Wall Street over everything else, he likely would have won.

While I'm not pro-mask, him coming out in the spring and saying "I may dislike it, but if it keeps you and I safe, I'll wear it," it could have impacted the Milwaukee and Detroit suburban counties.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:26 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times
Bottom line: Trump wasn't going to change to win an election.

That's why people love him, and that's why people hate him.

Billions upon billions of dollars was spent and every effort the Democrats, DC establishment, Elite Tech, and Elite Billionaire class could muster, they did.

I don't think there was ANYTHING Trump could have done to win. Massive unsolicited mail in voting was always going to happen. Massive changes to voting laws was always going to happen. Massive tech censorship was always going to happen.

Trump penetrated the club the first time and took them by surprise. They had 4 years to make sure it didn't happen again, and they succeeded.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:50 AM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
100% covid sank him along with Trump 400k Americans are now dead. Still surprised me was how many he was able to brainwash 71 million is astonishing to me. His supporters continue to follow Trumps line such as downplaying the covid death numbers, and believe there was a massive conspiracy to put Biden in the white house. It was insane what Trump did after he lost I think that alone will keep Trump from ever being elected again. Once the FBI started arresting his supporters the support for Trump evaporated overnight. My neighbor had a Trump flag out all year suddenly took it down after the capital riot.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:25 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
100% covid sank him along with Trump 400k Americans are now dead. Still surprised me was how many he was able to brainwash 71 million is astonishing to me. His supporters continue to follow Trumps line such as downplaying the covid death numbers, and believe there was a massive conspiracy to put Biden in the white house. It was insane what Trump did after he lost I think that alone will keep Trump from ever being elected again. Once the FBI started arresting his supporters the support for Trump evaporated overnight. My neighbor had a Trump flag out all year suddenly took it down after the capital riot.
Hell, even the Proud Boys are turning against Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/20/t...oys-trump.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies