Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 10:51 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times

Advertisements

I don't think the idea of cancelling student debt would have helped Trump. He could have wiped it out entirely and the "students" still would have voted against him because they have been trained to hate him.

Cancelling student loan debt is a ridiculous idea. These people choose to go to college and take on the expensive burden of loans. Perhaps we should be demanding answers from the universities as to why they charge so much in the first place but a better idea might have been to ask the banks why they charge so much in interest.

The average loan is 5.8% and given the current state of interest rates that is high. You can buy a car for 0%, buy a house for 3-4% and if you have a savings account you are lucky to get a small percentage of 1%.

What if the Feds buy down the interest rate by 1% point. That would save millions literally millions of dollars in the long run.

None of this would have saved Trump against the unprecedented fraud that we have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 12:40 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
I think if Trump had handled the Covid arrival better and faster, it could have been enough for him to win.

The truth is, though, Trump couldn't have done it any other way that the way he did. The guy is so needy he could not stand to allow anyone or anything take the attention away from him for very long.

That's a lifetime habit, one he can't ever change, and one of many that are as damaging.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:55 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
In early 2020, I was resigned to the fact that Trump would probably be reelected. Remember, "it's the economy, stupid", and the economy was doing well. The democrats failed impeachment effort had probably helped Trump more than hurt him.

Then God sent Covid-19. (just kidding, but if I was religious i might claim that God sent the pandemic to punish Trump, or to save us from Trump). His downplaying of the virus, while the death toll grew and grew, is probably what hurt him the most. This led to Biden's lead in early polls. Trump, as usual, reacted with denial, refusing to believe he was actually losing.
I also went into the year thinking there was no way that Trump was going to lose 2020, but then his botched COVID response, doubling down with the fringier elements of his base, etc happened. Some degree of empathy and some lip service towards the black community after George Floyd would have helped, too.

I think that a lot of people Audi lost the ability to tolerate his endless self-aggrandization and relentlessly describing everything he did as the greatest/best thing ever in history.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:03 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
See my other thread but there's NOTHING he could have done better to stop the China Virus (I use this term as someone of Chinese ancestry who is a native born American loyal to the United States over China.)

A Democrat wouldn't even have stopped flights from China because that would have been politically incorrect and "xenophobic" as Sleepy Joe put it. A Democrat would have had the kind of California shutdowns and restrictions applied nationally. And now California has the worst cases out of ANY state in the country so clearly the Democrat approach of destroying business and restricting church services would NOT have made things better.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:23 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
See my other thread but there's NOTHING he could have done better to stop the China Virus (I use this term as someone of Chinese ancestry who is a native born American loyal to the United States over China.)

A Democrat wouldn't even have stopped flights from China because that would have been politically incorrect and "xenophobic" as Sleepy Joe put it. A Democrat would have had the kind of California shutdowns and restrictions applied nationally. And now California has the worst cases out of ANY state in the country so clearly the Democrat approach of destroying business and restricting church services would NOT have made things better.
Hypothetical nonsense. I guess Trump doing his best still lost him the election. Now deal with it.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:38 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:

This is exactly the type of response that proves that the two sides aren't even arguing the same thing.
  1. When people say "Trump mishandled the pandemic," they're not saying that he could have somehow have stopped it from happening or even reaching the U.S. They're saying that he mismanaged the details. He was resistant to mitigation measures, lacked transparency (and that's putting it politely, he downright lied), politicized safety measures, and repeatedly undermined medical experts and professionals.
  2. No Democrat thought stopping flights from China to slow the spread of the virus itself was xenophobic. What they took issue with was the politicizing of the travel ban. Trump was in a trade war in China and leapt at the opportunity to use the virus as leverage in that war. His "ban" was toothless, allowing for over 40k people (inc. foreign nationals) to come to the U.S. from China after the ban went into effect with minimal effort to quarantine them upon their arrival to the U.S. It was as if only Chinese citizens were somehow capable of carrying the virus. What's worse is that he waited over a month to ban Europe flights as the virus boomed there. The result? The vast majority of infections in New York were traced to Italy, not China. So whining about snowflake liberals when talking about the travel ban may be fun for conservatives, but it ignores what actually bothered people about it.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:07 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
A brain transplant!

Old 01-17-2021, 08:30 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is exactly the type of response that proves that the two sides aren't even arguing the same thing.
  1. When people say "Trump mishandled the pandemic," they're not saying that he could have somehow have stopped it from happening or even reaching the U.S. They're saying that he mismanaged the details. He was resistant to mitigation measures, lacked transparency (and that's putting it politely, he downright lied), politicized safety measures, and repeatedly undermined medical experts and professionals.
  2. No Democrat thought stopping flights from China to slow the spread of the virus itself was xenophobic. What they took issue with was the politicizing of the travel ban. Trump was in a trade war in China and leapt at the opportunity to use the virus as leverage in that war. His "ban" was toothless, allowing for over 40k people (inc. foreign nationals) to come to the U.S. from China after the ban went into effect with minimal effort to quarantine them upon their arrival to the U.S. It was as if only Chinese citizens were somehow capable of carrying the virus. What's worse is that he waited over a month to ban Europe flights as the virus boomed there. The result? The vast majority of infections in New York were traced to Italy, not China. So whining about snowflake liberals when talking about the travel ban may be fun for conservatives, but it ignores what actually bothered people about it.
Liar, liar pants on fire. Repeating a lie as you did in #2 doesn't mean people will believe you.

As for your first paragraph, that is your opinion. I believe the only thing he really mismanaged was communication. President Trump is impulsive and often says whatever goes into his head. That can cause confusing messaging. He should have left more of that to VP Pence.

It was the Democrats who politicized the virus. And played games. Do I really need to remind you of "peaceful protests" don't spread the virus? Of the Michigan governor kneeling elbow to elbow with a couple of people not wearing masks? Of the Pennsylvania governor saying it was all political theater when he thought he was off mic? Of Sen. Feinstein telling everyone they had to wear masks in airports but not wearing one herself? Of Pelosi illegally getting a haircut and not even wearing a mask while doing it? And all of them attacking President Trump when he didn't wear a mask?

And do you think its anything other than politics that New York and Chicago are opening up restaurants with Biden safely certified? The virus is killing more people than it has at any time. In the US. In Europe. Germany's deaths have gone up 500% in the last 4 months. Yet now, it is safe to open up? They wanted to destroy the economy in order to hurt the president. They didn't care how many lives they destroyed. I had doubts they were that evil, but people have been predicting this for 6 months. Now they have proven it.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:43 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I think you are right about that. His words often got him in trouble. Even if they were truth, thats beside the point.

It got really bad toward the end when his frustration and anger (which a lot of us had too) permeated his speeches, and the constant re-litigation of all that went on in his last rally on the 6th.

However, some people listened to news that was always slanted with hate against Trump and never good news. If you listen to those CNN, MSNBC, etc, you will automatically develop a whole different opinion of Trump than if you listed to Fox news. so with that, already it is biased against Trump. You will hate him if you listen to those. so already, thats going to work against him for 5 years. People loved him when he was the Apprentice.
Critiquing performance does not = hate.

If you really believe it does, then you may be as thin skinned as your messiah.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:56 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:

Except the bolded isn’t the same thing as doing something better re handling it (handling = includes other things besides stopping) in and he could have done some things better re handling it, and he didn’t.

He could have called it COVID-19 or one of the other internationally accepted names rather than childishly calling it the ‘China virus’.

He could have never made the ‘15 down to 0’ comment.

Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies