Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 09:31 AM

25,953 posts, read 18,946,695 times

Advertisements

What we need is a "path to citizenship" in another nation. Biden could get some sort of agreement to allow someone in and one of us to get the hell out before the Titanic sinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 10:03 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,820,202 times
I'm reading The New York Post now : "Joe Biden plans to introduce immigration bill immediately."
It will give illegals the "right to pursue citizenship after an eight year wait." Biden will extend DACA for another 4 years.

It will be interesting to see the whole finalized proposal. Until the? Just wait and see before passing judgement.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:25 AM

298 posts, read 117,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdame View Post
This seems like a good approach, I bet 99% of illegal immigrants would take this path if given the choice. Nobody wants to be an illegal.

The question is, will Republicans be open to it? I highly doubt it.

Trump himself said that he would like to see immigration but only from rich Nordic countries.

Like if someone from there would want to come here.
Yeah, it's not super difficult to immigrate from Nordic or Western European countries. But, in general, those people do not want to immigrate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That was a different time and those immigrants came from a specific part of the world. Big difference.

Legal immigration to the United States since the 1960s has been mostly merit-based. Notice that I said legal.
Fair point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I note you didn't provide a link to your claims.
What do you want a citation for? Here is information about the Immigration Act of 1924: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1924.

As far as the other parts of my statement, I'm heavily involved in genealogy. So that's how I know this. Before 1924, immigrants could become citizens within 5 years of entering the US. If they didn't become citizens, they could simply remain in the US without being a citizen. Here is a lot of information on this: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/our-h...tion-1795-1956

Quote:
You can't be serious that we should have the same immigration laws as we did over 100 years ago. Things have changed. We are no longer in need of nation builders with just manual labor skills. Our population has blown to over 330 million now with a shortage of jobs and resources to accommodate millions more but we still allow in over 1 million legal immigrants a year! We have millions here illegally to. Our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods are overcrowded to. Geez, think man!
Illegal immigrants are coming to the US anyway. We're not doing a good job at stopping this. So they're getting into the US, working under the table, not paying taxes, and using resources. Why not just give them a path to citizenship?

Ultimately, this benefits all of us. How? Well, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm a millennial. At the rate we're going, I will have significantly reduced social security when I am of age (at best). Americans are not having as many children as they had in the past. We need people to replenish that pot.

Even for current older people, it's estimated that the social security reserves will be depleted soon (I've seen 2031 and 2035 in different articles). At that point, social security payouts could decrease if they do not either increase taxes or extend the retirement age. Since these are unpopular options, politicians do not seem to want to address them.

So creating many more American citizens and forcing them to pay taxes could improve this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
But, in 1965, the National Origins Formula was abolished. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr...ty_Act_of_1965
Good point. Still, I think that there should be easier paths to citizenship, similar to the timeframes that I mentioned in my previous post.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:59 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,608,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Joe Biden is trying to create another permanent underclass of Democrat voters in America. That is the only motivation.

If this sounds traitorous to you, then you're not wrong.
Underclass? Democrats as a rule are more educated than Republicans. And certainly value education more. It's sad but true. It did not always be this way.

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...litics/575113/

Old 01-18-2021, 11:33 AM

2,028 posts, read 710,982 times
Quote:
He's a damned fool! Congress will never go along with it and it's bad for our country. He'll probably try and bypass congress and give them a stay of deportation like Obama did but it's not going anywhere else ever.
Dems has the congress

Old 01-18-2021, 01:02 PM

63,061 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
Yeah, it's not super difficult to immigrate from Nordic or Western European countries. But, in general, those people do not want to immigrate here.

Fair point.

What do you want a citation for? Here is information about the Immigration Act of 1924: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1924.

As far as the other parts of my statement, I'm heavily involved in genealogy. So that's how I know this. Before 1924, immigrants could become citizens within 5 years of entering the US. If they didn't become citizens, they could simply remain in the US without being a citizen. Here is a lot of information on this: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/our-h...tion-1795-1956

Illegal immigrants are coming to the US anyway. We're not doing a good job at stopping this. So they're getting into the US, working under the table, not paying taxes, and using resources. Why not just give them a path to citizenship?

Ultimately, this benefits all of us. How? Well, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm a millennial. At the rate we're going, I will have significantly reduced social security when I am of age (at best). Americans are not having as many children as they had in the past. We need people to replenish that pot.

Even for current older people, it's estimated that the social security reserves will be depleted soon (I've seen 2031 and 2035 in different articles). At that point, social security payouts could decrease if they do not either increase taxes or extend the retirement age. Since these are unpopular options, politicians do not seem to want to address them.

So creating many more American citizens and forcing them to pay taxes could improve this situation.

Good point. Still, I think that there should be easier paths to citizenship, similar to the timeframes that I mentioned in my previous post.
So because our government has been lax in enforcing our immigration laws and not securing our border as it should have been we law abiding Americans should just roll over and accept this and gleefully see them get amnesty and a path to citizenship for violating our immigration laws? If they remain here they will continue to use more of our resources and since they are low wage earners with many dependents they still won't have an income tax liability. How are Americans to get their jobs back if this is allowed? How would it alleviate the crowded conditions that they and their kids have created in our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods? I guess the felony ID theft and tax evasion that they have committed will all be forgiven to? This will just encourage more illegal aliens to come here and get in on the next amnesty. When do these amnesties end?

I am in my 70's and I believe in the rule of law and not rewarding lawbreakers for committing crimes. We don't need illegal aliens to replenish our population. Poverty begets poverty. What about diversity? Most are here from one ethnic group. How is that diversity? We don't need to increase or replace our population at this time and if and when we do we should only allow them to come here legally and in diverse numbers.

Oh, the old argument that we need more people to increase our SS coffers. That's just a pyramid scheme because we will continually need to replace those illegal aliens that retire. We need to address SS but not destroy our society over it with an ever increasing population growth. Your solution lacks merit on all accounts.

Citizenship might be speeded up for those here legally waiting to become one but certainly not for illegal aliens.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
Dems has the congress
Ever heard of a filubuster proof majority? Trump couldn't get some things done because of it regardless of a majority Republican congress that they had at one time and they will fight amnesty tooth and nail.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:24 PM

298 posts, read 117,235 times
Quote:
So because our government has been lax in enforcing our immigration laws and not securing our border as it should have been we law abiding Americans should just roll over and accept this and gleefully see them get amnesty and a path to citizenship for violating our immigration laws? If they remain here they will continue to use more of our resources and since they are low wage earners with many dependents they still won't have an income tax liability. How are Americans to get their jobs back if this is allowed?
What jobs? Most of these people are doing jobs that Americans don't want. I have friends that own contracting businesses that are open to hiring illegal immigrants simply because they can't find reliable US citizens to do the work.

Alternatively, Americans can learn skills that allow them to get better jobs. People that I know (fellow Millennials) have no trouble getting jobs.

Quote:
How would it alleviate the crowded conditions that they and their kids have created in our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods? I guess the felony ID theft and tax evasion that they have committed will all be forgiven to? This will just encourage more illegal aliens to come here and get in on the next amnesty. When do these amnesties end?
What conditions have their kids created in our schools, jails, hospitals, roads, and neighborhoods?

You're not understanding me. I am suggesting that we go back to our old system. Doing so will give them a path towards citizenship without them ever actually being illegal aliens. This will result in them be forced to pay taxes sooner.

Will they get away with not paying taxes for a little while? Probably. But if they are getting paid off the books, then they will be making peanuts. So it won't be much money.

Quote:
I am in my 70's and I believe in the rule of law and not rewarding lawbreakers for committing crimes. We don't need illegal aliens to replenish our population. Poverty begets poverty. What about diversity? Most are here from one ethnic group. How is that diversity? We don't need to increase or replace our population at this time and if and when we do we should only allow them to come here legally and in diverse numbers.

Oh, the old argument that we need more people to increase our SS coffers. That's just a pyramid scheme because we will continually need to replace those illegal aliens that retire. We need to address SS but not destroy our society over it with an ever increasing population growth. Your solution lacks merit on all accounts.

Citizenship might be speeded up for those here legally waiting to become one but certainly not for illegal aliens.
I don't feel like changing the laws is "rewarding lawbreakers". It's updating laws that may have made sense at one time (I'd argue that this particular never made sense), but no longer make sense.

In terms of the social security issue, I'd be okay with any and all improvements to social security. Increase the retirement age? Let's do it. Increase taxes for this? I'm in. Make more citizens to pay into it? Sounds good.

Can social security be considered a pyramid scheme? Sure. But I'm paying into that right now (surely helping to fund your retirement). I would just like the same benefits that you're getting now. Is that too much to ask?

Old 01-18-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
What jobs? Most of these people are doing jobs that Americans don't want. I have friends that own contracting businesses that are open to hiring illegal immigrants simply because they can't find reliable US citizens to do the work.

Alternatively, Americans can learn skills that allow them to get better jobs. People that I know (fellow Millennials) have no trouble getting jobs.

What conditions have their kids created in our schools, jails, hospitals, roads, and neighborhoods?

You're not understanding me. I am suggesting that we go back to our old system. Doing so will give them a path towards citizenship without them ever actually being illegal aliens. This will result in them be forced to pay taxes sooner.

Will they get away with not paying taxes for a little while? Probably. But if they are getting paid off the books, then they will be making peanuts. So it won't be much money.

I don't feel like changing the laws is "rewarding lawbreakers". It's updating laws that may have made sense at one time (I'd argue that this particular never made sense), but no longer make sense.

In terms of the social security issue, I'd be okay with any and all improvements to social security. Increase the retirement age? Let's do it. Increase taxes for this? I'm in. Make more citizens to pay into it? Sounds good.

Can social security be considered a pyramid scheme? Sure. But I'm paying into that right now (surely helping to fund your retirement). I would just like the same benefits that you're getting now. Is that too much to ask?
You need to get yourself up to speed with the truth. Illegal aliens have taken once good construction and landscaping jobs that Americans used to do for a fair wage. Utter BS that any contractors can't find reliable workers to work those jobs for a "fair" wage!

I see, so adding 11 plus million illegal aliens and their broods to our society isn't putting added stress on our natural and social resources including those that I have mentioned already? You're really in deep denial, aren't you? Their kids enter our schools not knowing English and that creates a burden on on our teachers also.

We never had an old system where we rewarded illegal aliens with our citizenship for violating our immigration laws either. Reagan once gave them amnesty but that's it. It wasn't a "system". As I said they are low waged earners with several dependents so they would have no income tax liability. It will always be against our immigration laws to enter our country illegally and that will never change nor should it. Our immigration laws have always made sense and they still do!

No, you're not funding my retirement. I funded my own! You will get the same benefits as other Americans when you retire unless you're an illegal alien yourself.

These illegals have committed felony ID theft and/or tax evasion and yet you want to reward them for felonies? We don't need these people. They are the poor, uneducated and unskilled. In today's world we need educated and skilled people that won't be a burden to our society. You must have some sort of vested interest in illegal immigration to defend the indefensible and wanting to reward foreign lawbreakers. We have annual quotas for legal immigration today and for sensible reasons. Educate yourself on this issue for God's sake!

Old 01-18-2021, 05:38 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,641,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
So Biden has a plan for a "path to citizenship"
Why? Isn't he a citizen already?

As for the illegal aliens, including DACAs, they already have a path to citizenship. Go back to their original countries, contact a U.S. Consulate or Embassy, fill out the papers and pay all the fees, wait for all the background checks, medical checks, etc. to be finished (might take a number of years), then get your green card and visa and come on in. Then go through the additional procedures for citizenship (can take an additional 5 years), and there you are.

Biden doesn't need to invents a new "plan for citizenship" for the illegal aliens. They already have one, and always have.

Or does Biden want to give criminals who broke the law and entered or stayed in this country illegally, a way to get citizenship BEFORE the law-abiding ones who never broke the law, patiently did everything required of them, and have been waiting peaceably for all these years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies