Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 04:59 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times

Advertisements

Oh no! Biden wants people to have a chance to become legal US citizens that pay taxes and contribute to society.

Oh, the horror! These people coming from Mexico and Central/South America want a chance at a better life in America just like my ancestors did 100 years ago coming from Ireland.

But a lot of conservatives seem to dislike the idea of brown legal immigration for some reason. Hmmm...wonder why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 05:02 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And if we locked up or deported all the individuals with a high probability of committing murder we could get the rate close to zero.

The problem of course is pretty much the same as with illegal aliens. We have no good way to identify and deal with probable murderers. Same is true of illegal aliens.
We have been doing much better in recent years, but Biden is about to reverse all of the immigration policies that Trump put into place, like making asylum seekers wait in Mexico. We will be going back to letting them all in, and hoping they show up for their court date.

Joe said he wouldn't deport a single person in the first 100 days of his presidency. He has encouraged hoards of people from Central America to come up here. They are coming because they think he will just let them all in, no questions asked. And I am afraid they may be right.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Oh no! Biden wants people to have a chance to become legal US citizens that pay taxes and contribute to society.

Oh, the horror! These people coming from Mexico and Central/South America want a chance at a better life in America just like my ancestors did 100 years ago coming from Ireland.

But a lot of conservatives seem to dislike the idea of brown legal immigration for some reason. Hmmm...wonder why
Your ancestors didn't have a support system paid for by the current citizens. Neither did mine. If we had no food stamps, welfare, section 8 housing, medicaid, medicare, etc, etc, etc, I would have no problem letting them all in. It's bad enough, they have kids here to make them eligible, if you open the floodgates and legalize them all, then they will all be eligible for these programs.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:13 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
hey yall remember how reagan gave amnesty to aliens way back in '86?

thought so
I do. I thought it was supposed to be a one-time deal, never to be repeated again. (I could be wrong, but that's my memory of it...I was still a teenager, not old enough to have voted for Reagan.)

And now we have at least twice as many illegals as we did back in 1986.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I do. I thought it was supposed to be a one-time deal, never to be repeated again. (I could be wrong, but that's my memory of it...I was still a teenager, not old enough to have voted for Reagan.)

And now we have at least twice as many illegals as we did back in 1986.
And that was the fault of the Federal government particularly the Congress. They failed to do any of the things needed to hold the illegal population at the level reached after the Reagan amnesty.

And that leaves us with the same problem Reagan had only two or three times as bad. And we will eventually resort to the same approach. Though hopefully we follow through properly and make it all stick.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:31 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We have been doing much better in recent years, but Biden is about to reverse all of the immigration policies that Trump put into place, like making asylum seekers wait in Mexico. We will be going back to letting them all in, and hoping they show up for their court date.

Joe said he wouldn't deport a single person in the first 100 days of his presidency. He has encouraged hoards of people from Central America to come up here. They are coming because they think he will just let them all in, no questions asked. And I am afraid they may be right.
There was a video on today interviewing one of them in the caravan. He said exactly that! He said Biden would take care of him among other anti-American actions of Biden. Our own president elect snubbing his nose at our immigration laws. I thought they took an oath to uphold the laws of our country. Are we entering the twilight zone?

Old 01-19-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There was a video on today interviewing one of them in the caravan. He said exactly that! He said Biden would take care of him among other anti-American actions of Biden. Our own president elect snubbing his nose at our immigration laws. I thought they took an oath to uphold the laws of our country. Are we entering the twilight zone?
Don't forget, Biden promised to make us pay for their health care too. Twilight Zone, indeed.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:46 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,028,117 times
If a undocumented immigrant works and pays taxes and are peaceful then they should have a path to citizenship.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Your ancestors didn't have a support system paid for by the current citizens. Neither did mine. If we had no food stamps, welfare, section 8 housing, medicaid, medicare, etc, etc, etc, I would have no problem letting them all in. It's bad enough, they have kids here to make them eligible, if you open the floodgates and legalize them all, then they will all be eligible for these programs.
Note how that poster you replied to had to pull the skin color card? WTH does that have to do with not wanting illegals in our country? Not our fault that it is mostly brown skinned Mexicans and other Latinos that are the worst offenders. But yeah, let's make it about skin color.

Immigrants do have a chance to become U.S. citizens they first apply in their countries to come here legally and when accepted then can then apply for citizenship after they come here. So WTH is that poster talking about? You don't come here illegally first and then apply! That's not the lawful process! Besides, amnestying millions of illegal aliens and least of all rewarding them with our citizenship is a slap in the fact to immigrants who came here the right way. It would also nullify our annual quotas for legal immigration for a decade!

No one should get a chance at a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. Is that poster for real? Most of our ancestors from 100 years ago did not come here illegally. Apparently that fool doesn't know the difference or pretends not to.

Most conservatives do not have a problem with "legal" immigration in reasonable numbers regardless of their skin color. It is illegal aliens that we object to and they know it! In fact Mexicans and Latinos enjoy the highest quotas by far for legal immigration into our country. So where's the objection to skin color? Anyone who thinks that brown skinned people should get a pass on our immigration laws is the racist, not us!

Old 01-19-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
If a undocumented immigrant works and pays taxes and are peaceful then they should have a path to citizenship.
No, they shouldn't and they aren't undocumented anything they are illegal aliens! You never reward law breakers as it just encourages more. Most of them have committed felony ID theft and/or tax evasion but we should reward that behavior? Unreal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies