Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 08:44 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
And I bet he didn’t say COVID would disappear right after the election either right? **wink wink nod nod**. If he wasn’t calling it a hoax, how could it ‘disappear’?
Why do you think suddenly New York and Chicago are against lockdowns?

They've decided they no longer need to continue needlessly destroying the economy with measures that don't help control the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 08:49 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yes, he did. I figured most of us knew he was lying based on all the evidence at the time. I dealt with this virus like nobody else on this forum, the first few months. I was in charge of a COVID ICU and saw all the horror, first hand. I knew all of the anti-maskers and anti-shut down people were dead wrong, and I told them that right here on this forum, constantly. I even showed them pictures I took of bodies being loaded into refrigerated cargo holds in our parking lot. We had 6 of them, all full. Was he wrong for lying to us? Absolutely. But I don't think it would have made much of a difference if he told us the truth. He lied about it in early February, and it was no longer contained by then. This is not a typical virus. It was much easier to contain viruses like the original SARS, ebola, etc because you are not infectious until soon before symptoms start. With COVID-19, people are walking around spreading it for up to 2 weeks before they even feel sick. Many, never feel sick at all, and just keep walking around spreading it. We knew how bad it was this fall, and it STILL spread like wildfire. Knowing how bad it was in early February would not have saved us.
There's a difference between "lying" and "downplaying." I never felt mislead. I listened to his news conferences. My spouse has colleagues in Europe and Asia and knew first hand what was going on over there. Nothing he said was inconsistent. He just didn't stir up the fear like the news media did. And some of the things said early on were wrong because nobody knew much. Fauci himself flip-flopped all over the place as information changed.

And your last is not consistent with the latest evidence, that people who never show symptoms rarely spread the virus.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:52 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I heard or read most of Trump's speeches, and all of them were pretty good. Every president has speech writer, but I'm sure they work together. Trump didn't simply read someone else's thoughts. The writer doesn't generate the ideas -- they put it all together so it sounds nice.

The ideas expressed in this speech were similar to his other speeches. I don't know why some here are saying he should have been saying these things all along. He has been.

But if all you know about Trump is what you got from CNN for 4 years, this speech would seem uncharacteristic. You would think Trump is a maniac, a rabble-rouser, a criminal. No, he was a president who tried, while being constantly maligned and tormented by CNN, NYT, etc.
It was a good speech.

A little long winded for maximum effectiveness, but that's his style.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:55 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
Was it a murder?
Anyway, people can wear cloth masks. I highly doubt health care workers will need cloth masks.
95% of all masks were being made in China at the time. Obama shipped a ton of manufacturing to China over his 8 years. There simply were none available at the time.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:03 PM

1,959 posts, read 702,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
95% of all masks were being made in China at the time. Obama shipped a ton of manufacturing to China over his 8 years. There simply were none available at the time.
C'mon, it is not all Obama's issue. three reasons:
(1) From the end of 2019 to Feb (??) 2020, the Chinese bought all the masks over the world (that was a political duty)
(2) Countries (incl. USA) shipped some of their stocks to China to fight covid.
(3) China banned masks export.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:12 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,072,790 times
You guys do know that Trump didn't write any of this but he did stay on topic. So that was good, I guess.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:25 PM

936 posts, read 2,069,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You cant compare us to tiny countries, where the governments have far more control over their populations. Much of the world has different cultures, constitutions, expectations, and norms than we do. I agree that Trump handled this whole pandemic poorly. Hell, it lost him the election. If he handled it well, he would have won the election in a landslide. But it wasn't the lie in February. It was all the stuff that came along after that.
Japan is a tiny country? You do realize they have a population of 126 million, the 11th most populous in the world?

Old 01-19-2021, 09:30 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
Japan is a tiny country? You do realize they have a population of 126 million, the 11th most populous in the world?
Yes, in the context of that comment about physical size it is. It is in fact just 3.8% the size of the States.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:32 PM

936 posts, read 2,069,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
While we're on the topic of Obama, his administration had already placed a national pandemic playbook in place and it was in the possession of the trump administration. Trump refused to use it, instead deciding to politicize the pandemic and downplaying all of the advice of the scientists and pitting states against each other to procure PPE etc.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:26 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I watched one of his rallies where he went on and on about how Barron got it and it was nothing. He called Faucci names. He did many things to undermine credibility when we needed it. When it was justified.

I don't know if he actually called it a hoax, but he undermined it just like he did our e,ection, which laid the fiundation for 1/6.
Oh, no, he called someone names... 5-10 years in jail for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies