Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 08:08 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Jan 6th/7th is when things started going to the moon. Bought mine at $17 each. Now at $305.

I'm holding. I can afford to, I only bought 3 shares.
Why hold? There are no fundamentals to hold up the value, why not book the profit now?

If this is being done by you in protest, same thing....then throw money back in when it falls and yo-yo it again.

Trying to spot the strategy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 08:08 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
it can't stay at that inflated price for long with no real valuation under it.
This was a stunt,...I doubt there will be honest support.

Keep your finger over the sell button! lol.

Once you read about the rally being over it's already too late.

good luck!
Oh, I'm not fussed about the money. It was $47 all in.

Just enjoy being part of something that's screwing over hedge funds.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:10 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I’m a bit torn. I agree with the free market and don’t like the sec shutting things down. But this type of artificial “pump and dump” type of market manipulation is not what the market was created to do - which is invest in companies and help them raise capital.
I agree. And that is why the hedge fund companies need to be shut down. They have been doing this for years.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's not pump and dump, go read through the wallstreetbets threads. People were like I don't care if l lose this 200 bucks, I just want to stick it to the hedge funds. They wanted to crush the short sellers and were 100% open and honest about it. Pump & Dump is about deception and talking up a stock fraudulently. These people didn't say Gamestop was worth stratospheric levels, they were saying squeeze the big guys and take their money
Daily trading volume around 100million shares...or 30billion.

This isn't being done by $200 purchasers, there are not enough of those.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:13 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I’m a bit torn. I agree with the free market and don’t like the sec shutting things down. But this type of artificial “pump and dump” type of market manipulation is not what the market was created to do - which is invest in companies and help them raise capital.
Yeah but on the flipside is massively shorting 140% what the market is created to do? The short squeeze effort is market manipulation but probably not technically a pump and dump.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:14 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Daily trading volume around 100million shares...or 30billion.

This isn't being done by $200 purchasers, there are not enough of those.
Of course, but you know as well as I do that other players have piled on like they always do, including long hedge funds and volatility traders. It started as a co-ordination effort but now it's mostly market forces

Old 01-29-2021, 08:15 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Now we know why certain Dem pols were talking about neo nazis on reddit, they will soon be de_platformed by bezo's or one of the other tech lords.
How dare the proles make sport of the nobility.

I knew they would drag out the Alt-right bogie man again. Trump, "the dictator" walked out while the media alternately uses terminology that someone littering in a maga hat near the capital is an insurrectionist while a trying to burn a Federal building to the ground is a mostly peaceful protest. Looks like the typical leftist is finally not falling for it this time.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:19 AM

1,199 posts, read 735,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Meanwhile, as one member of the self-described "autistic retards" on /Wallstreetbets said, "I can stay retarded longer than you can stay solvent."

These short positions have hard due dates. It looks like the Occupy Hedge Funds crowd are willing to wait them out.
The fact that they call themselves "Autists" , "Degenerates" amongst other things makes me laugh in real life...maybe I am wrong to laugh at that, but that subreddit provides the Lulz

Old 01-29-2021, 08:19 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
Looks like the little guys, for now, are winning: https://www.yahoo.com/news/gamestop-...154801002.html

Unfortunately, they will lose in the end because they won't get out in time. Stock today has fluctuated between around $500 to just below $300. Someone is going to get caught holding the bag.
No paper hands. Hold.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Of course, but you know as well as I do that other players have piled on like they always do, including long hedge funds and volatility traders. It started as a co-ordination effort but now it's mostly market forces
Yep.

It's like one of those nature documentaries where some birds start diving at sardines.

Then come the medium sized fish, dolphins, sharks....whales.

Of particular interest, some of the larger sharkers that show up aren't there to eat the sardines. *wink wink*

I personally don't give a poop, I've no skin in the game.

Just noting:
1) some outfits are likely worried about the WAVES of securities lawsuits that this will generate. They aren't necessarily caring about the hedge funds but more their own CYA.

2) There are some people jumping into this frenzy of greed that are going to get financially wrecked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies