Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 03:10 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
That's a lovely way of putting it.
You guys all seem to be painfully unaware that when Gamestops stock drops back to reality, the reality of a company that loses about 500mil a year with no relief in sight, then do you know what shows up?

Class action lawsuits.

Because there is now 21+ billion in market capitalization which is going to turn into less than half a billion by this time next year. People get mad when 20 billion dollars of investment goes *poof*. Remember Enron? It was a fraction of that.

Gee, you want to be involved in trading that? Welcome to the lawsuit.

P.S. I don't give a flying fudge about hedge fund managers, there are some people that are going to get REALLY hurt by this and I'm explaining why some brokerages may not want to embroil themselves in what is an obvious pit of litigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 03:16 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You guys all seem to be painfully unaware that when Gamestops stock drops back to reality, the reality of a company that loses about 500mil a year with no relief in sight, then do you know what shows up?

Class action lawsuits.

Because there is now 21+ billion in market capitalization which is going to turn into less than half a billion by this time next year. People get mad when 20 billion dollars of investment goes *poof*. Remember Enron? It was a fraction of that.

Gee, you want to be involved in trading that? Welcome to the lawsuit.

P.S. I don't give a flying fudge about hedge fund managers, there are some people that are going to get REALLY hurt by this and I'm explaining why some brokerages may not want to embroil themselves in what is an obvious pit of litigation.
Who is the SEC going after? I genuinely would like to know. What has happened is not clearly defined in the books with regard to market manipulation. If there is going to be a charge of market manipulation, I really would like to know the definitions and how these reddit everyday consumers fit the criteria.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:20 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,376 times
Quote:
Yeah, when Gamestock falls back down under $10....it won't be the rich that have been eaten...they're generally not that stupid.
True. it'll be the dupes who hopped on the "lets stick it to wall st" boat late, when the early movers are moving on that will be screwed.
The big hedge funds will still be around. Their managers will have to put off buying their 2nd yacht another year is all.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:24 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Yeah, when Gamestock falls back down under $10....it won't be the rich that have been eaten...they're generally not that stupid.
Voiceover: "But in this case, they were that stupid."

Well, mostly greedy, the stupidity was sort of a side effect. They're being eaten right now. When you do short selling, there's no theoretical ceiling (or is it a floor? Never mind) for what you can lose.

Some very, very rich people are right now losing billions covering their shorts. And in doing so, they have to buy the stock, driving the price higher.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:29 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Voiceover: "But in this case, they were that stupid."

Well, mostly greedy, the stupidity was sort of a side effect. They're being eaten right now. When you do short selling, there's no theoretical ceiling (or is it a floor? Never mind) for what you can lose.

Some very, very rich people are right now losing billions covering their shorts. And in doing so, they have to buy the stock, driving the price higher.
It’s like a game of chicken: who’s gonna dump first? I can’t stop watching this disaster in the making. Hashtag QuantTears

Old 01-28-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
True. it'll be the dupes who hopped on the "lets stick it to wall st" boat late, when the early movers are moving on that will be screwed.
The big hedge funds will still be around. Their managers will have to put off buying their 2nd yacht another year is all.
We're talking billion-dollar losses. There are some investors who will be very upset.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
It’s like a game of chicken: who’s gonna dump first? I can’t stop watching this disaster in the making. Hashtag QuantTears
We don't even have to wait. Giant companies are bleeding billions. Right now. Rented at 10, sold, planned on re-buying at 4. Now having to rebuy at 140.

Irreverent but fairly precise thread here.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...240771584.html

Some small investors will lose a couple of Benjamins. Some billion-dollar hedge fund companies are losing their shirt.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:38 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Im hearing some reports that robinhood is now selling peoples gamestop stocks for them. LOL. I dont think thats going to end how they like.
I heard that too, it should be illegal.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:41 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Quote:
Don't be so sure about that -- they were stupid enough to short 140% of GME's available stock, and some hedge funds have had to spend billions to cover their short positions. If it won't be the rich that have been eaten, it's largely due to the sheer magnitude of institutional power they wield to rig the game and crush the retail traders, not because they won their bet in a free, fair, transparent system.

Let's be perfectly candid about what we witnessed today: the hedge fund class are furious they were humiliated and outsmarted by the basement-dwelling ramen-eaters, and so today they rigged the system to reinforce the walls around their fiefdom and show the serfs who's in charge.

Last edited by Bitey; 01-28-2021 at 04:14 PM..

Old 01-28-2021, 03:41 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
(if what i'm reading is correct) they shut down trading for the "common people" on those apps, but the hedge fund people can still trade? this could get bloody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies