Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 11:09 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What religious holidays do Christians get out of school for?
Christmas. In some places, Easter.

I lived where the local government gives Holy Thursday, Good Friday and the Monday after Easter off. U.S. territory but under our flag nonetheless.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
When you have 25% of your students out for a religious holiday, it seems like making that a school holiday is prudent. This has been a debate in my local school district because they have large numbers out for Jewish holidays. They should absolutely give those days off. The secular private schools in the area do.
Yes, it makes sense in that case. Each school district should evaluate and make the determination if their population is religiously diverse.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:12 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
It’s because other religions - such as Islam and Judaism - represent only about 2% or 3% of Americans, and the majority are Christians. When I was in school, we had no Jewish holidays off, but of course my parents kept me out of school so I could go to services. It was fine.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:13 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
School districts in religious diverse districts should do their best to recognize all major religious holidays or none at all. Another idea is to give students 2 religious holidays and allow parents to choose which holidays their child will have off.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...20c_story.html
We are good on that here in NY.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It’s because other religions - such as Islam and Judaism - represent only about 2% or 3% of Americans, and the majority are Christians. When I was in school, we had no Jewish holidays off, but of course my parents kept me out of school so I could go to services. It was fine.
Populations vary within the country so, in some areas, it makes sense. In others, not so much.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
We are good on that here in NY.
Yes, NY is ahead of game on this one.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:16 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
School districts in religious diverse districts should do their best to recognize all major religious holidays or none at all. Another idea is to give students 2 religious holidays and allow parents to choose which holidays their child will have off.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...20c_story.html
I am reminded of a few years ago I was at a NASCAR race and there was a pre-race prayer. The prayer ended with "In Jesus Christ we trust". I chuckled, turned to my friend and jokingly commented, "I sure am glad everyone here is Christian".

Old 03-05-2021, 11:16 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,997 times
Quote:
But this is more specific to each school district. It sounds like the one in the article has much higher numbers of Jewish and Muslim students and should add their religious holidays. Like I said, my area has a very high Jewish population. It's ridiculous and has been a source of contention not to have Jewish holidays off when a significant proportion of your student population will be out. The private schools do so.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:18 AM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
I thought you guys were for the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few. What happened? Stats put the US at about 65% Christian, so by your own philosophy, those folks should get priority, right? Or does that only apply in certain situations that you guys approve.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:24 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Where I went to school they now close 1 day for each of the Jewish holidays the amount of absentees between students and teachers made it impracticable to open. The district I work in now has set the week of Spring Break so some years Easter/Passover align others years it doesn't just like Hanukkah in the winter.

For for any faith based observance that a student remains home that day is not counted against their attendance. Each community needs to reflect what is appropriate for them and the number of students who observe the Muslim faith is very low so this accommodates them fine..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies