Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 01:50 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I was kind of hoping you did have at least one example of a specific holiday as you seemed to indicate it was common for religions to hold pagan celebrations and rituals as their religious days.
Are you really trying to tell me Christmas celebrations were not originally pagan holidays, Yule, Saturnalia. partying, gift giving, gathering, feasting.

Id bet of those 2 billion most associate Christmas with Santa Clause and dont go to Church on Christmas to worship the saviors birth. Just look around you during the holidays. I'm pretty sure schools no longer include the nativity play in their holiday celebrations.
No, I’m telling you the exact opposite. But it doesn’t matter where the source material came from.

We’re beating a dead horse here. I think the more important thing is that we (I believe?) agree that closing schools on holidays should be determined on a holistic basis depending on student/faculty body makeup.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:57 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Its thier country no doubt. My logic is that you cant ecpect the same in saudi or israel if christians want to have christmas or good friday off.
No you can't. Which in fact may be the reason why some of the folks you seem so unaccepting of are here in the first place. Religious freedom - it's a GOOD thing. And every American has a right to it. But no American has the right to demand that their religion dominate the others.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:57 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
No, I’m telling you the exact opposite. But it doesn’t matter where the source material came from.

We’re beating a dead horse here. I think the more important thing is that we (I believe?) agree that closing schools on holidays should be determined on a holistic basis depending on student/faculty body makeup.
I agree with the poster who said just give each family a few floating days they can take whenever needed, so they get their religious day off.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I agree with the poster who said just give each family a few floating days they can take whenever needed, so they get their religious day off.
That works to the extent that there isn’t a sufficient critical mass to justify a school closing on a given day, but it doesn’t make sense to keep schools running if a substantial number of students will take off anyway. If I recall correctly, schools can even lose out on state and federal funding for a day if the absence rate exceeds a certain point.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:13 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,016,021 times
What, no Wickan holidays? Nothing for Druids or Witches? How about for Satan worshipers? Satan worshipers consider that a religion and desrve their own holiday too you know.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:19 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
That works to the extent that there isn’t a sufficient critical mass to justify a school closing on a given day, but it doesn’t make sense to keep schools running if a substantial number of students will take off anyway. If I recall correctly, schools can even lose out on state and federal funding for a day if the absence rate exceeds a certain point.
Does that happen other when there is a "flu" outbreak, or snow. Schools seem to manage.
What specific religious holiday or days is or would there be a substantial number of students out. (no I didnt read the article, paywall)

Old 03-10-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Does that happen other when there is a "flu" outbreak, or snow. Schools seem to manage.
What specific religious holiday or days is or would there be a substantial number of students out. (no I didnt read the article, paywall)
In just about every district, school was closed for everyone during parts of the pandemic, and inclement weather has long been a reason to cancel school (although snow days are now probably a thing of the past, with the rise of remote learning).

And it will depend on district to district. There’s no one magic set of holidays that should be given off. That all depends on the religious backgrounds of the students and faculty. In my home school district, where the student body was probably 50% Jewish (if not more) we got off for the first night of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Now the District gives off for both nights of Rosh Hashanah.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 03-10-2021 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-10-2021, 03:00 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Winter break and Spring Break sort of cover the religious aspects and we have to acknowledge the cultural significance of things and how they helped create the USA and the school schedules in general. Nobody has to celebrate Christmas or Easter because it's generally a school scheduling issue now. It can change if there are good reasons to change it but it shouldn't change just because of the religious components that contributed to it. If various religions have a specific day they need to have off for whatever reason it can easily be handled I think.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:04 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
This is a Judeo-Christian Country. If you want to celebrate atheism go to North Korea or China.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:09 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,704 times
I love the "Not All" argument, it literally applies to all groups. Isn't that ironic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies