Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 08:08 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Athiest? I have seen some other christian athiests in this forum. They virtually consider guys like baptistfundie as thier enemy.

Nice deflection though after trying several pages of posts for a religious holiday to be mandated in schools.

And i m not against it. If the school agrees to it, why not? But again these media will make it contentious and make us fught among ourselves. I happedned to glance at the article and its very amatuer.
What are you talking about? All I said was that one of the rare things Jews and Evangelical Christians tend to agree on is that Christmas is fundamentally a Christian religious holiday, notwithstanding that it does not carry a religious meaning for a significant number of celebrants.

I’ve been saying this the whole time, so there’s no deflection. You just have poor reading comprehension.

That doesn’t line up with your earlier posts. If you’ve had a change of heart, that’s wonderful. Who are “the media”? What’s “contentious,” and who’s “fighting” besides people who feel threatened by increased religious diversity?

And what’s “amateur” about the article? It’s a fairly brief and plain-spoken editorial. Solving the problem equitably can be a big challenge in large, county-wide school districts like Fairfax County, VA, where religious minorities like Jews, Muslims, and Hindus tend to be concentrated in specific areas—and accordingly, school attendance zones—meaning that some schools will encounter high rates of absences on Yom Kippur, Diwali, and/or Eid al-Fitr et al, but at others things will be “business as usual.” In other parts of the country, like the Northeast and Midwest, Fairfax County would be composed of many individual school districts, and minority religious adherents would likely be concentrated in a few of these specific districts, making it much easier to make district-wide school closing decisions.

In Fairfax County’s case, it might make the most sense to close school on the most major holiday for each substantial minority religious faith and then provide 2-3 floating absences to cover students otherwise.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:13 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Winter break and Spring Break sort of cover the religious aspects and we have to acknowledge the cultural significance of things and how they helped create the USA and the school schedules in general. Nobody has to celebrate Christmas or Easter because it's generally a school scheduling issue now. It can change if there are good reasons to change it but it shouldn't change just because of the religious components that contributed to it. If various religions have a specific day they need to have off for whatever reason it can easily be handled I think.
Just do away with winter break and spring break and use those extra days to cover various religious holidays.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:14 AM

25,770 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not every student is Christian. Why don’t school districts recognize that?
Not every student is woke. Why don’t school districts recognize that?

Old 03-11-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

I went to catholic schools all my life and they never celebrated Christmas. It was just another mass the school had to attend.
Private schools and parochial schools can do their own thing. In public schools, in many areas, once upon a time it was quite common to have a biblical Christmas play. I havent seen that for awhile.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I and millions of other spent Christmas Sunday in Church celebrating the life of Jesus. It’s pretty common in America. It might not be the majority but Church is known for CEOs. Christmas and Easter Only. Meaning theirs an influx of people on those specific holidays into Churches because, they are religious holidays that have been Secularized.
Sunday. Not on Christmas day unless it fell on a Church day.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:53 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
What are you talking about? All I said was that one of the rare things Jews and Evangelical Christians tend to agree on is that Christmas is fundamentally a Christian religious holiday, notwithstanding that it does not carry a religious meaning for a significant number of celebrants.

I’ve been saying this the whole time, so there’s no deflection. You just have poor reading comprehension.

That doesn’t line up with your earlier posts. If you’ve had a change of heart, that’s wonderful. Who are “the media”? What’s “contentious,” and who’s “fighting” besides people who feel threatened by increased religious diversity?

And what’s “amateur” about the article? It’s a fairly brief and plain-spoken editorial. Solving the problem equitably can be a big challenge in large, county-wide school districts like Fairfax County, VA, where religious minorities like Jews, Muslims, and Hindus tend to be concentrated in specific areas—and accordingly, school attendance zones—meaning that some schools will encounter high rates of absences on Yom Kippur, Diwali, and/or Eid al-Fitr et al, but at others things will be “business as usual.” In other parts of the country, like the Northeast and Midwest, Fairfax County would be composed of many individual school districts, and minority religious adherents would likely be concentrated in a few of these specific districts, making it much easier to make district-wide school closing decisions.

In Fairfax County’s case, it might make the most sense to close school on the most major holiday for each substantial minority religious faith and then provide 2-3 floating absences to cover students otherwise.
I live near fortnend isd anf houston isd which is possibly among the top 10 diverse dustricts. Some of its high svcholls are over 60% asian . They observe regular holiday schedule like everyone else.

If you want a holiday , take it be it teachers or students. I dont see too many hindu muslim or asian teachers too.

Its like trying to take things backward by forcing a secular calendar to include religious hoildays.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:59 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I live near fortnend isd anf houston isd which is possibly among the top 10 diverse dustricts. Some of its high svcholls are over 60% asian . They observe regular holiday schedule like everyone else.

If you want a holiday , take it be it teachers or students. I dont see too many hindu muslim or asian teachers too.

Its like trying to take things backward by forcing a secular calendar to include religious hoildays.
I can’t even begin to decipher this post. But to the extent that I can make heads of tails of what you’re saying, I believe (though am not certain) that Texas also tends to have very large and widespread school districts. Almost 400,000 people live in the Ft. Bend ISD. It does appear to be remarkably diverse.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:19 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I know its the Washington Post so its not an actual newspaper or real journalism.

Most accurate statement Ive read in this thread.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:42 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Sunday. Not on Christmas day unless it fell on a Church day.
I specifically go on Sunday. But some folks have specific meetings on Christmas and will go to church the day off. My point is that more Christians see it as a religious day than not, hence why only a few non-Christian countries celebrate Christmas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obse...mas_by_country

Japan is the only one not on this list that has a large Christmas celebration but they don’t even recognize it as a holiday. Christmas is strongly entertained with religion, to pretend it’s not would be untrue. Also Japan probably has the most secular Christmas celebration out fo these countries. As you can see only Buddhist and Islamic countries don’t have it on as a public holiday. All the countries with somewhat of a Christian tradition do, even some Islamic ones where Christians are minorities have it.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I can’t even begin to decipher this post. But to the extent that I can make heads of tails of what you’re saying, I believe (though am not certain) that Texas also tends to have very large and widespread school districts. Almost 400,000 people live in the Ft. Bend ISD. It does appear to be remarkably diverse.
I also live near that School District. Just a bit to the north. Their are certainly some accommodations as absences for Islamic students on certain holidays. I’m pretty sure they do some sorta excused absence system. https://www.fortbendisd.com/cms/lib/...02019-2020.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies