Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 09:37 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,017,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Pardon the spelling since i tupe from the phone.

My point is how much ever accomodating americans are, it still wont be enough for some. They are going far enough to use liberal gibberish like happy holidays on the only religuous holiday all year.

If u want take a day off . dont expect to declare it for everyone else. As simple as that. I want to see only if the food is gmo or organic, not kosher or hallal.

Muslims and jews will be the first to cry secularism if public schools mandate a christian prayer.
Saying “Happy Holidays” to a stranger or more distant acquaintance isn’t “gibberish.” It’s polite because you don’t know what other people celebrate. I almost never take offense when people wish me Merry Christmas, because their heart is usually in the right place and I have better things to do (I say “almost never,” because all bets are off when some edgelord wants to be a dick to prove a “point”).

If you live in an area where your religious group doesn’t have the critical mass to justify a school-wide closing, yes, take a day off. If a large enough proportion of students and/or faculty would take off to disrupt the school day for everybody, school should be closed.

The GMO status of a food is meaningless to your health. That’s why the USDA doesn’t regulate its usage. Companies make the choice to have their food deemed kosher (and, less frequently, halal) as a business decision to increase their customer base.

The Supreme Court said prayer in public schools is a no-no almost 60 years ago, so you’re late to that party. The lead Plaintiff, Ellery Schempp, was a Unitarian Universalist, by the way, although the Defendant school district (Abington, in suburban Philadelphia) had a decent-sized Jewish enrollment as well.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Saying “Happy Holidays” to a stranger or more distant acquaintance isn’t “gibberish.” It’s polite because you don’t know what other people celebrate. I almost never take offense when people wish me Merry Christmas, because their heart is usually in the right place and I have better things to do (I say “almost never,” because all bets are off when some edgelord wants to be a dick to prove a “point”).

If you live in an area where your religious group doesn’t have the critical mass to justify a school-wide closing, yes, take a day off. If a large enough proportion of students and/or faculty would take off to disrupt the school day for everybody, school should be closed.

The GMO status of a food is meaningless to your health. That’s why the USDA doesn’t regulate its usage. Companies make the choice to have their food deemed kosher (and, less frequently, halal) as a business decision to increase their customer base.

The Supreme Court said prayer in public schools is a no-no almost 60 years ago, so you’re late to that party. The lead Plaintiff, Ellery Schempp, was a Unitarian Universalist, by the way, although the Defendant school district (Abington, in suburban Philadelphia) had a decent-sized Jewish enrollment as well.
You just proved my point. I only mentioned christian prayer and you started whining right away.

As per your logic, its ok to mark it kosher for 2% population when rest 98% dont care about it and close the schools for those 20% when the rest 80% dont observe it?

For me or anyone gmo is more meaningful as it relates to long term health.

I will read next about a company called qai quality assurance international which certified everything organic to see who runs it. I m guessing jews only owing to the scale they operate.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
You just proved my point. I only mentioned christian prayer and you started whining right away.

As per your logic, its ok to mark it kosher for 2% population when rest 98% dont care about it and close the schools for those 20% when the rest 80% dont observe it?

For me or anyone gmo is more meaningful as it relates to long term health.

I will read next about a company called qai quality assurance international which certified everything organic to see who runs it. I m guessing jews only owing to the scale they operate.
I think you need to re-read the dictionary definition of “whining.”

Almost 15% of adult consumers seek out kosher food, for a wide variety of reasons. Individual companies make business decisions as to whether they want their food blessed and sold as kosher. Since a significant segment of the marketplace prefers kosher food to varying degrees, and most grocery store products have kosher-friendly ingredients by default, it often makes sense to pay the small marginal cost and widen one’s customer base. I don’t see how this could possibly offend you.

20% of students and/or teachers is plenty to justify closing down school. Having to re-teach the same concepts for 1/5 of your class is a huge headache and creates more of a disruption to the learning experience.

Fairly school districts have 20% of their students or faculty celebrate a non-Christian religion.

Your position is backed by folklore and not science. That’s fine, by the way. I don’t care what you eat, as long as it isn’t people.

I don’t know from QAI Quality. I must have missed that monthly cabal meeting.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:44 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Many people attach no religious meaning to Christmas, but it’s still a religious holiday.

But it’s ultimately a distinction without a difference. The issue is (or at least should be): will enough students and/or teachers take off for this holiday that it will disrupt the school day? If so, school should be closed. It’s plain logistics. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course, when there isn’t a critical mass to justify a school closing, educators should still be flexible and accommodating to individual students’ absences.
I agree about school closings.

I do not agree that Christmas is a Christian religious holiday. When non religious people celebrate it in a non religious way on such a large scale it becomes a secular holiday. Christmas began as a mixture of Pagan celebrations thanks to the efforts of Constantine but was shanghaied by puritans but never really stuck as a religious.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree about school closings.

I do not agree that Christmas is a Christian religious holiday. When non religious people celebrate it in a non religious way on such a large scale it becomes a secular holiday. Christmas began as a mixture of Pagan celebrations thanks to the efforts of Constantine but was shanghaied by puritans but never really stuck as a religious.
It’s still a religious holiday. And just about all religious celebrations borrow from local customs and “predecessor faiths” to boost their appeal. If I recall correctly, mistletoe is a nod to Druid mythology.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:55 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I know its the Washington Post so its not an actual newspaper or real journalism. But schools already do that. Students can get off for other religious holidays no questions asked. At least that was how it was done in my school some 40 plus years ago.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I know its the Washington Post so its not an actual newspaper or real journalism. But schools already do that. Students can get off for other religious holidays no questions asked. At least that was how it was done in my school some 40 plus years ago.
Many schools do (and all schools should), but members of minority faiths sometimes experience skepticism, and even hostility, when they make these requests.

The solution isn’t closing school for every holiday if the enrollment levels don’t call for it, but sensitivity and understanding (e.g., trying to avoid scheduling exams on religious holidays when schools remain open) can go a long way.

I think the issue becomes trickier in many parts of the country, including the greater DC Area, because school districts are very large (generally county-wide), so you can end up a seeming rainbow of religious traditions on paper that reflect heavy concentrations in specific areas. Some schools will barely have any absences on holidays like Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, while others will be practically desolate. Montgomery County, Maryland (which neighbors Howard County) is a prime example.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:04 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
I think you need to re-read the dictionary definition of “whining.”

Almost 15% of adult consumers seek out kosher food, for a wide variety of reasons. Individual companies make business decisions as to whether they want their food blessed and sold as kosher. Since a significant segment of the marketplace prefers kosher food to varying degrees, and most grocery store products have kosher-friendly ingredients by default, it often makes sense to pay the small marginal cost and widen one’s customer base. I don’t see how this could possibly offend you.

20% of students and/or teachers is plenty to justify closing down school. Having to re-teach the same concepts for 1/5 of your class is a huge headache and creates more of a disruption to the learning experience.

Fairly school districts have 20% of their students or faculty celebrate a non-Christian religion.

Your position is backed by folklore and not science. That’s fine, by the way. I don’t care what you eat, as long as it isn’t people.

I don’t know from QAI Quality. I must have missed that monthly cabal meeting.
You say things like “food blessed as kosher” and call me as filklore. You think kosher label is more important than a non gmo label because it is blessed?

Not sure how you came with that 15% number. Once again you are inly worried about that 20% not the rest.

In fact many people may not even notice the kosher halal or gmo labrls.

I ll keep you posted about qai. Its not a cabal and all, just goes with the reasoning that if jews could own many siccessful businesses , this could be one of them too.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
You say things like “food blessed as kosher” and call me as filklore. You think kosher label is more important than a non gmo label because it is blessed?

Not sure how you came with that 15% number. Once again you are inly worried about that 20% not the rest.

In fact many people may not even notice the kosher halal or gmo labrls.

I ll keep you posted about qai. Its not a cabal and all, just goes with the reasoning that if jews could own many siccessful businesses , this could be one of them too.
I’m an atheist, dude. I’m just relaying how kashrut works. All religions are social constructs. That’s not intended as a knock against religious people, by the way.

And I Googled it. You can try for yourself sometime.

Try talking to some K-12 teachers and find out how much of a pain it is to have to re-teach a lesson plan to a significant minority of a classroom while the significant majority zones out with boredom. In some districts, teachers may be the source of the absences, requiring loads of classrooms to be filled with substitutes. If you close schools for holidays celebrated by a significant percentage of students or teachers, you lose one day instead of two.

Jews can own anything they set their minds to.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:13 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
It’s still a religious holiday. And just about all religious celebrations borrow from local customs and “predecessor faiths” to boost their appeal. If I recall correctly, mistletoe is a nod to Druid mythology.
What other non Christian religious Holidays were previously another non recognized religions celebrations.
If Christmas is a religious holiday non Christians should not celebrate it. Why would an Atheist or Jew acknowledge a celebration of the son of God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies