Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 06:31 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
School districts should evaluate imho. The discussion about Muslims is regarding a particular county in Northern VA. In the article, Jews in the area are discussed as well due to an increase in their population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Easier said than done...

Christmas is on December 25th, always!

The eight days of Hanukkah can start as early as Thanks Giving and may end as late as New Years Eve.

Easter can fall anywhere between April 1st and April 28th, as long as it's a Sunday.

Likewise, Passover can fall pretty much anywhere in the month of April.

Easter will be the same week as Passover.

Ramadan may or may not coincide with any Jewish or Christian holidays and may or may not take place within the traditional school year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Aside from Jewish Day Schools, no school is going to give off for Chanukah or Passover (and even then, it would generally coincide with their Winter and Spring Breaks). It’s really only the two High Holidays that are in play (either or both nights of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur). This probably seems “controversial” to some people because the Jewish High Holidays are toward the beginning of the school year and very close together.

Nor would Muslims get off for all of Ramadan (even at an Islamic school, which would mean a whole month without instruction). I believe it’s just one day (Eid-al-Fitr) that would be up for consideration during Ramadan. Otherwise, it would be Eid al-Adha. Muslim holidays cycle through the entire year, by the way, so any holiday could take place at any time.

Always important to follow the thread...

The poster I responded to was interested in a discussion at the school district level.

I simply added context.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:49 PM

2,774 posts, read 901,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
School districts in religious diverse districts should do their best to recognize all major religious holidays or none at all. Another idea is to give students 2 religious holidays and allow parents to choose which holidays their child will have off.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...20c_story.html
Because the majority of students are some iteration of Christian even if not strictly observant. If those of other religions are unhappy with that they can send their children to private religious schools of their choice. I sent my son to a Christian school because out experience with my daughter in public school was so awful and that was 20 years ago. We paid all of it out of pocket.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:51 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Always important to follow the thread...

The poster I responded to was interested in a discussion at the school district level.

I simply added context.
Right. And I explained that no one is asking to close public schools on Chanukah or Passover or the entire month of Ramadan.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:05 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Right. And I explained that no one is asking to close public schools on Chanukah or Passover or the entire month of Ramadan.
Well, don't keep us in suspense....

Old 03-10-2021, 08:00 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Well, don't keep us in suspense....
?

Quote:
Aside from Jewish Day Schools, no school is going to give off for Chanukah or Passover (and even then, it would generally coincide with their Winter and Spring Breaks). It’s really only the two High Holidays that are in play (either or both nights of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur). This probably seems “controversial” to some people because the Jewish High Holidays are toward the beginning of the school year and very close together.

Nor would Muslims get off for all of Ramadan (even at an Islamic school, which would mean a whole month without instruction). I believe it’s just one day (Eid-al-Fitr) that would be up for consideration during Ramadan. Otherwise, it would be Eid al-Adha. Muslim holidays cycle through the entire year, by the way, so any holiday could take place at any time.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:02 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Easier said than done...

Christmas is on December 25th, always!

The eight days of Hanukkah can start as early as Thanks Giving and may end as late as New Years Eve.

Easter can fall anywhere between April 1st and April 28th, as long as it's a Sunday.

Likewise, Passover can fall pretty much anywhere in the month of April.

Easter will be the same week as Passover.

Ramadan may or may not coincide with any Jewish or Christian holidays and may or may not take place within the traditional school year.
That’s why my initial post suggested giving students two days for religious holidays, whichever days they choose.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:34 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I was kind of hoping you did have at least one example of a specific holiday as you seemed to indicate it was common for religions to hold pagan celebrations and rituals as their religious days.
Are you really trying to tell me Christmas celebrations were not originally pagan holidays, Yule, Saturnalia. partying, gift giving, gathering, feasting.

Id bet of those 2 billion most associate Christmas with Santa Clause and dont go to Church on Christmas to worship the saviors birth. Just look around you during the holidays. I'm pretty sure schools no longer include the nativity play in their holiday celebrations.

I went to catholic schools all my life and they never celebrated Christmas. It was just another mass the school had to attend.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:15 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
I believe it does make it secular (denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis).
Christmas: Santa, reindeer, snowmen, presents, Christmas trees. Secular
Easter: Rabbits, coloring hiding eggs, baskets of candy.

Who the heck has heard of Holi/Phagwa here in the US. Its basically Easter. Sounds secular to me.
Christmas is a designated federal holiday. Its basis is not of the Christian religion or the birth of Christ. It became a federal holiday to unite the country after the civil war.

Do you think people spend Christmas in Church praising the birth of their savior.
You realize we are discussing the US and its Christian holidays right.
I have no idea how Muslims or Hindus in the US celebrate their religious holidays. Are you suggesting US schools recognize every religious holiday of every religion because those religious are actually spent in religious rituals.
I and millions of other spent Christmas Sunday in Church celebrating the life of Jesus. It’s pretty common in America. It might not be the majority but Church is known for CEOs. Christmas and Easter Only. Meaning theirs an influx of people on those specific holidays into Churches because, they are religious holidays that have been Secularized.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
I was kind of hoping you did have at least one example of a specific holiday as you seemed to indicate it was common for religions to hold pagan celebrations and rituals as their religious days.
Are you really trying to tell me Christmas celebrations were not originally pagan holidays, Yule, Saturnalia. partying, gift giving, gathering, feasting.

Id bet of those 2 billion most associate Christmas with Santa Clause and dont go to Church on Christmas to worship the saviors birth. Just look around you during the holidays. I'm pretty sure schools no longer include the nativity play in their holiday celebrations.
It’s actually the other way around. Santa Claus is largely an American/Western thing. Although it had worldwide appeal. It’s mostly a Western phenomenon. Most of the worlds Christians consider Christmas to be a purely religious holiday. The Santa Claus thing is a nice attachment. But even the original Santa Claus was a Graeco-Anatolian (Turkish) Christian. Theirs also Sinterklaas, as well. But Santa Claus is generally a Western European thing and it’s popular in The Americas and Western Europe semi-secularly and some Eastern Countries secularly as well. It is far more Religious in Africa and Latin America as well as significant pets of the U.S.A. Most of the worlds Christians recognize it as a Christian holiday.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:33 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
I’m an atheist, dude. I’m just relaying how kashrut works. All religions are social constructs. That’s not intended as a knock against religious people, by the way.

And I Googled it. You can try for yourself sometime.

Try talking to some K-12 teachers and find out how much of a pain it is to have to re-teach a lesson plan to a significant minority of a classroom while the significant majority zones out with boredom. In some districts, teachers may be the source of the absences, requiring loads of classrooms to be filled with substitutes. If you close schools for holidays celebrated by a significant percentage of students or teachers, you lose one day instead of two.

Jews can own anything they set their minds to.
Athiest? I have seen some other christian athiests in this forum. They virtually consider guys like baptistfundie as thier enemy.

Nice deflection though after trying several pages of posts for a religious holiday to be mandated in schools.

And i m not against it. If the school agrees to it, why not? But again these media will make it contentious and make us fught among ourselves. I happedned to glance at the article and its very amatuer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies