Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 03:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
This is a Judeo-Christian Country. If you want to celebrate atheism go to North Korea or China.
I'm an atheist, I was born in the US, as were my parents. and I celebrate being an atheist every time I read a post like yours.

Just try to deport me.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:11 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm an atheist, I was born in the US, as were my parents. and I celebrate being an atheist every time I read a post like yours.

Just try to deport me.
You should praise the Christians for developing a country that you can peacefully exist under God.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You should praise the Christians for developing a country that you can peacefully exist under God.
I do praise the founders for establishing a secular nation.

they did so for a very practical reason - there would never have BEEN a United States of America if they had tried to establish an official religion.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:18 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I do praise the founders for establishing a secular nation.

they did so for a very practical reason - there would never have BEEN a United States of America if they had tried to establish an official religion.
Yes because the founders of the country (and early Americans) were descendants of people leaving religious persecution. The language of the Founding of the Country states their is a God, but leaves Religious freedom to the people.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
There are nearly 14,000 school districts in the US. Districts are typically free to choose which days they close.

While the Jewish population is about 2.3% in the US, the majority of this population tends to be concentrated. No reason why districts with substantial Jewish student populations should not close for major Jewish holidays. Same for districts with substantial Muslim student populations. Etc.

Such holidays tend to be referred to as a generic holiday.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Yes because the founders of the country (and early Americans) were descendants of people leaving religious persecution. The language of the Founding of the Country states their is a God, but leaves Religious freedom to the people.
the only mention of god in the Constitution, which is the actual law of the land, is the phrase "Anno Domini".

Old 03-10-2021, 03:23 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are nearly 14,000 school districts in the US. Districts are typically free to choose which days they close.

While the Jewish population is about 2.3% in the US, the majority of this population tends to be concentrated. No reason why districts with substantial Jewish student populations should not close for major Jewish holidays. Same for districts with substantial Muslim student populations. Etc.

You’d think this would be painstakingly obvious to people...

Old 03-10-2021, 05:00 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Yes, that just makes sense.

When I was a kid, there were two Jewish families in my predominantly Protestant Christian town. I remember there was a boy in my third grade class who stayed out of school a couple of times because of Jewish holidays. We didn't know quite what that meant, but he got to stay home a few extra days every year.

Thirty+ years later, I returned to that town to raise my own daughter. There were a few more Jewish families in town, but not as many as in the surrounding towns because our town had no temple. But there were a number of Jewish teachers on the faculty now, and my daughter got Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur off. She had a first-grade teacher who told them the Hanukah story and taught them how to make dreidels.

The town is 30 miles northwest of New York City, and in those intervening decades, a significant Jewish population had left the city and moved to the suburbs. The school calendar reflected that.

Doesn't make sense that a community with little or no Jewish (or Muslim) students or faculty would need to take those days off.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:14 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
School districts should evaluate imho. The discussion about Muslims is regarding a particular county in Northern VA. In the article, Jews in the area are discussed as well due to an increase in their population.
Easier said than done...

Christmas is on December 25th, always!

The eight days of Hanukkah can start as early as Thanks Giving and may end as late as New Years Eve.

Easter can fall anywhere between April 1st and April 28th, as long as it's a Sunday.

Likewise, Passover can fall pretty much anywhere in the month of April.

Easter will be the same week as Passover.

Ramadan may or may not coincide with any Jewish or Christian holidays and may or may not take place within the traditional school year.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:20 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Easier said than done...

Christmas is on December 25th, always!

The eight days of Hanukkah can start as early as Thanks Giving and may end as late as New Years Eve.

Easter can fall anywhere between April 1st and April 28th, as long as it's a Sunday.

Likewise, Passover can fall pretty much anywhere in the month of April.

Easter will be the same week as Passover.

Ramadan may or may not coincide with any Jewish or Christian holidays and may or may not take place within the traditional school year.
Aside from Jewish Day Schools, no school is going to give off for Chanukah or Passover (and even then, it would generally coincide with their Winter and Spring Breaks). It’s really only the two High Holidays that are in play (either or both nights of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur). This probably seems “controversial” to some people because the Jewish High Holidays are toward the beginning of the school year and very close together.

Nor would Muslims get off for all of Ramadan (even at an Islamic school, which would mean a whole month without instruction). I believe it’s just one day (Eid-al-Fitr) that would be up for consideration during Ramadan. Otherwise, it would be Eid al-Adha. Muslim holidays cycle through the entire year, by the way, so any holiday could take place at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies