Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 11:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Mudlims and jews want minority rights everywhere only to deny it to the mi orities in thier own country.

I dont know how far they want the christians/ameeicans to bend further and accomodate thier preferences.

Do asians and indians demand any such thing? No.
Many muslims and jews have been here for at least a couple generations now. As have asians and even indians. this IS their country. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:20 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What other non Christian religious Holidays were previously another non recognized religions celebrations.
What about them? It’s a pretty common theme throughout history and across religious traditions. Christianity is in no way special in that regard.

Quote:
If Christmas is a religious holiday non Christians should not celebrate it. Why would an Atheist or Jew acknowledge a celebration of the son of God?
Just because some people choose not to acknowledge the religious aspects of Christmas doesn’t mean it’s not a religious holiday.

It’s kind of funny to think about, but this is a rare topic where Jews and Bible thumpers tend to align.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
What other non Christian religious Holidays were previously another non recognized religions celebrations.
If Christmas is a religious holiday non Christians should not celebrate it. Why would an Atheist or Jew acknowledge a celebration of the son of God?
Why? Who's gonna stop them?

Old 03-10-2021, 11:29 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
We are a Christian country. We have Christian days off just like Muslim countries have Muslim holidays. Don't like it leave. Anyway, a day off with pay is a day off with pay.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:39 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
What about them? It’s a pretty common theme throughout history and across religious traditions. Christianity is in no way special in that regard.

Just because some people choose not to acknowledge the religious aspects of Christmas doesn’t mean it’s not a religious holiday.

It’s kind of funny to think about, but this is a rare topic where Jews and Bible thumpers tend to align.
What about them. I want to learn about them. You seem to know. What other religions practiced in the US have celebrations and observation that were actually those of a pseudo religious group un recognized religion.

Some people, two billion. Is there somewhere in the bible where its proclaimed Gods people celebrate the birth of the savior on December 25? Are we directed to buy gifts for everyone, put up a Christmas tree, look for Santa, have office parties, decorate our homes, etc.?

Old 03-10-2021, 11:43 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We are a Christian country. We have Christian days off just like Muslim countries have Muslim holidays. Don't like it leave. Anyway, a day off with pay is a day off with pay.
We are a religiously neutral country and should make all efforts to remain so. That said, we should either recognize all (within reason) or recognize none. I support giving student two religious holidays to apply to whatever faith they profess.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:46 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
What about them. I want to learn about them. You seem to know. What other religions practiced in the US have celebrations and observation that were actually those of a pseudo religious group un recognized religion.

Some people, two billion. Is there somewhere in the bible where its proclaimed Gods people celebrate the birth of the savior on December 25? Are we directed to buy gifts for everyone, put up a Christmas tree, look for Santa, have office parties, decorate our homes, etc.?
A prominent example is the Romans co-opting and adapting Ancient Greek religious traditions to their culture. It is called Greco-Roman mythology, after all. I can’t tell you specific holidays off the top of my head, but Judaism borrowed heavily from Zoroastrian traditions as well as customs from the Levant, Babylonia, etc. These aren’t “pseudo” or “un-recognized” religions. Nor are the Christmas traditions inspired by Pagans, Druids, etc.

Two billion people don’t celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 03-10-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-10-2021, 01:04 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Many muslims and jews have been here for at least a couple generations now. As have asians and even indians. this IS their country. Not sure why you think otherwise.
Its thier country no doubt. My logic is that you cant ecpect the same in saudi or israel if christians want to have christmas or good friday off.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:06 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
Believe it or not, societies don't have to collectively celebrate anything and everything individual members choose to believe in or do. It is when this belief or practice reaches a critical mass that society typically acknowledges it. There are plenty of schools that recognize Ramadan...in the middle east.
No one discussing celebration. Celebration and acknowledgement are not the same.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:43 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
A prominent example is the Romans co-opting and adapting Ancient Greek religious traditions to their culture. It is called Greco-Roman mythology, after all. I can’t tell you specific holidays off the top of my head, but Judaism borrowed heavily from Zoroastrian traditions as well as customs from the Levant, Babylonia, etc. These aren’t “pseudo” or “un-recognized” religions. Nor are the Christmas traditions inspired by Pagans, Druids, etc.

Two billion people don’t celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday.
I was kind of hoping you did have at least one example of a specific holiday as you seemed to indicate it was common for religions to hold pagan celebrations and rituals as their religious days.
Are you really trying to tell me Christmas celebrations were not originally pagan holidays, Yule, Saturnalia. partying, gift giving, gathering, feasting.

Id bet of those 2 billion most associate Christmas with Santa Clause and dont go to Church on Christmas to worship the saviors birth. Just look around you during the holidays. I'm pretty sure schools no longer include the nativity play in their holiday celebrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies