Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 07:54 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times

Advertisements

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...ology-florida/

this is hilarious since the whole last year was spend trashing DeSantis as a murderer and propping up Andrew Cuomo as a hero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 08:13 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Yea, never understood the upfront headlining trashing of DeSantis over this, all because he was a Republican and Trump supporter obviously.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:27 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,076,143 times
There was this hilarious cartoon of the mentality of the NYT's average reader. It depicted this proto troglodyte trying to do a puzzle box intelligence test round peg in the square hole and failing badly. It so reminded me of Joe Biden.
What did we learn? That the lockdowns were needless but deliberate destruction of the US economy. Trump was blasted for opposing them. Masks did little to slow the spread but the ape minded Biden is still pushing them. The tests were wildly inaccurate but used as the basis to force restrictions on the citizens. Now they've stopped publishing false positives and cases are down. people have natural immunity from having had Covid but they're still pushing the vaccines which may do more harm than good.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:12 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
The lockdowns were mostly a scheme to hurt Trump and Republicans all along. They served their real purpose of creating discontent projected on Trump and now the establishment is wanting the lockdowns to start to be lifted.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:16 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times
Trump '24, DeSantis '28.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:41 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
There was this hilarious cartoon of the mentality of the NYT's average reader. It depicted this proto troglodyte trying to do a puzzle box intelligence test round peg in the square hole and failing badly. It so reminded me of Joe Biden.
What did we learn? That the lockdowns were needless but deliberate destruction of the US economy. Trump was blasted for opposing them. Masks did little to slow the spread but the ape minded Biden is still pushing them. The tests were wildly inaccurate but used as the basis to force restrictions on the citizens. Now they've stopped publishing false positives and cases are down. people have natural immunity from having had Covid but they're still pushing the vaccines which may do more harm than good.
I mostly agree but felt I needed to chime in and say I believe the vaccines are doing good. Not only are cases down but hospitalizations are down in my area, significantly. A large percentage of elderly people have been vaccinated here. I’m sure that’s a big reason that all the recent supposed superspreader events turned out to not be so bad. I’m very hopeful that this appears to be winding down now.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:49 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,959,113 times
Next from the NYT: The Earth is Round

Old 03-16-2021, 08:10 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The lockdowns were mostly a scheme to hurt Trump and Republicans all along. They served their real purpose of creating discontent projected on Trump and now the establishment is wanting the lockdowns to start to be lifted.

I agree. Covid is a real threat and we all have to take precautions but did we really need the Government mandated lockdowns that ruined the economy and destroyed many business's?

I agree the lockdowns were draconian so they could blame Trump for them and turn the people against him.

The Covid is all Trumps fault chant is about as hollow as the he is a racist rant.

They are now trying to pin the crisis at the border on him.

Florida did get it right. A friend is in Florida right now and he has been posting photos of he and his wife having a grand time in the sunshine, no masks, people gathering etc.. Meanwhile here at home we are still locked down wearing masks everywhere.

The popularity of Desantis is growing towards a run for the WH in 2024.

The difference between Democrats where they would lock it all down and the Republicans where they present the facts and let people weigh the risks and exercise their Freedoms is huge.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:16 AM

962 posts, read 541,357 times
I read the article (not the right-wing book report you posted) and it's not exactly as rosy on Florida as you'd like to think. Florida's economy is utterly reliant upon tourism. Florida got hammered last year, and suffered huge budget shortfalls as a result (that will happen when there's no income tax, and you rely on sales tax for the budget. If no one's buying, where do you get revenue?). Florida has no choice but to open up. The entire state depends on tourism for tax revenue. This is a failure of the Federal government for not providing aid to Florida, to allow businesses to act safely right now.

Luckily, Florida did well to vaccinate seniors. Their approach seems to be "seniors are safe, now go nuts". This brings a risk to us all. The UK strain, which is slightly more contagious and slightly (slightly) resistant to the vaccines, is rampant in Florida. Spring breakers are liable to bring it back home. I'm glad Florida is having fun, but they're acting like a virus breeding ground, and other states will suffer the consequences, less so Florida.

Last edited by midnight_thunder; 03-16-2021 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: words

Old 03-16-2021, 08:56 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
I read the article (not the right-wing book report you posted) and it's not exactly as rosy on Florida as you'd like to think. Florida's economy is utterly reliant upon tourism. Florida got hammered last year, and suffered huge budget shortfalls as a result (that will happen when there's no income tax, and you rely on sales tax for the budget. If no one's buying, where do you get revenue?). Florida has no choice but to open up. The entire state depends on tourism for tax revenue. This is a failure of the Federal government for not providing aid to Florida, to allow businesses to act safely right now.

Luckily, Florida did well to vaccinate seniors. Their approach seems to be "seniors are safe, now go nuts". This brings a risk to us all. The UK strain, which is slightly more contagious and slightly (slightly) resistant to the vaccines, is rampant in Florida. Spring breakers are liable to bring it back home. I'm glad Florida is having fun, but they're acting like a virus breeding ground, and other states will suffer the consequences, less so Florida.
Ah yes the Super deadly variant. That despite its presence, hasn’t stopped cases from going down

Are we supposed to lock down and wait for a vaccine for every single variant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies