Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 11:59 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Uh, yeah, except it's not true.

That group of Jewish passengers was TOLD to leave the plane because many of their members were refusing to wear a mask.

You can see, in the beginning of the video you've posted, one of the passengers who was being ordered off the plane was trying to bully a woman who wasn't ordered off the plane to do so in solidarity. She refused.

Sometimes, when something doesn't seem right, it isn't. Always good to check another source.

https://abc7.com/travel/family-says-...20wear%20masks.
While im not inclined to believe you or ABC news, but even if true, if a group of passengers refused masks to the point of being removed the plane, thats a good thing too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 12:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
??? Is it up to the mentally disabled to make the medical decisions for others

Whoever is there with the child representing the airline is without authority making medical decisions and attempting to administer the rights of another party with no legal jurisdiction to do so !!! Unless they are the doctor of the child !!!
They are personally libel for their actions !!!
I would sue them and seek judgement against them if I was the parent, also present !!!
No one was making medical decisions for the child or the family. It's not as if they were up in the air, and forced him to wear a mask.

No one was forcing anything, except he had two choices - wear a mask, or find another flight home, which they did.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:27 PM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
First - the airlines has a mask policy and previously kicked a family off the plain last Sept because their child refused to wear the mask. We have yet to hear if there were any other issues with the child or parent before they were kicked off.

2nd - Mom has an Instagram channel and a Youtube channel that I think she's trying to promote with this farce.

I'm not for masks but if there is a rule and I have to wear one - than everyone should be wearing one.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
I would have thought that during an pandemic, with all the rules and regulations, that the parents would have checked with the airline beforehand?

They obviously knew that the child was suppose to wear a mask, to go as far as getting a doctor's note. Why someone would think a simple doctor's note would trump the airlines rules, is odd to me.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I would have thought that during an pandemic, with all the rules and regulations, that the parents would have checked with the airline beforehand?

They obviously knew that the child was suppose to wear a mask, to go as far as getting a doctor's note. Why someone would think a simple doctors note would trump the airlines rules, is odd to me.
I agree with you, but it did seem to work out for them on the flight out to Vegas. It was just the return flight that was problematic. Guess it depends on the flight crew.

The video of the mom is heartbreaking - she's crying, saying they've never been treated that way, and how challenging it is, and then you do get to see him have a full on meltdown.

The sad thing is, much more of this is coming for that family. The public in general is extremely tolerant of small children creating havoc. But as he gets bigger and reaches adolescence and adulthood, they are going to face a LOT of encounters with the public over his disability. This situation is not going to get better, likely. He will be expected to comply with a variety of rules/procedures that he won't be able to, and they will be asked to leave.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree with you, but it did seem to work out for them on the flight out to Vegas. It was just the return flight that was problematic. Guess it depends on the flight crew.

The video of the mom is heartbreaking - she's crying, saying they've never been treated that way, and how challenging it is, and then you do get to see him have a full on meltdown.

The sad thing is, much more of this is coming for that family. The public in general is extremely tolerant of small children creating havoc. But as he gets bigger and reaches adolescence and adulthood, they are going to face a LOT of encounters with the public over his disability. This situation is not going to get better, likely. He will be expected to comply with a variety of rules/procedures that he won't be able to, and they will be asked to leave.
I feel for them, and then I don't. Conflicted.

Why are they travelling for pleasure, when it's not exactly wise to do so now?

Old 03-23-2021, 12:56 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
First - the airlines has a mask policy and previously kicked a family off the plain last Sept because their child refused to wear the mask. We have yet to hear if there were any other issues with the child or parent before they were kicked off.

2nd - Mom has an Instagram channel and a Youtube channel that I think she's trying to promote with this farce.

I'm not for masks but if there is a rule and I have to wear one - than everyone should be wearing one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

They obviously knew that the child was suppose to wear a mask, to go as far as getting a doctor's note. Why someone would think a simple doctor's note would trump the airlines rules, is odd to me.
From the CDC link in my post at #87:

This Order exempts the following categories of persons:
- A child under the age of 2 years;
- A person with a disability who cannot wear a mask, or cannot safely wear a mask, because of the disability
as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. 12101 et seq.).

- A person for whom wearing a mask would create a risk to workplace health, safety, or job duty as determined by the relevant workplace safety guidelines or federal regulations.

Autism is a recognized disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:10 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,099,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
A four year old autistic boy who could not wear a mask was kicked off a flight. i am so angry. there are NO exemptions. you will comply with the facist states of America.
I wonder how it would go over if they started doing flights specified as no mask.

My last flight tried to make a big deal of it, said you couldnt wear the masks with filters. BUT when it was snack time, we were all allowed to remove our mask and spread germs freely ... what a joke.

Hopefully flights from one free state to another free state can start foregoing this crazy.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
From the CDC link in my post at #87:

This Order exempts the following categories of persons:
- A child under the age of 2 years;
- A person with a disability who cannot wear a mask, or cannot safely wear a mask, because of the disability
as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. 12101 et seq.).

- A person for whom wearing a mask would create a risk to workplace health, safety, or job duty as determined by the relevant workplace safety guidelines or federal regulations.

Autism is a recognized disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Yes but,

" Does the ADA override federal and state health and safety laws?

A. The ADA does not override health and safety requirements established under other federal laws even if a standard adversely affects the employment of an individual with a disability. If a standard is required by another federal law, an employer must comply with it and does not have to show that the standard is job related and consistent with business necessity. For example, employers must conform to health and safety requirements of the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. However, an employer still has the obligation under the ADA to consider whether there is a reasonable accommodation, consistent with the standards of other federal laws, which will prevent exclusion of individuals with disabilities who can perform jobs without violating the standards of those laws. If an employer can comply with both the ADA and another federal law, then the employer must do so.

The ADA does not override state or local laws designed to protect public health and safety, except where such laws conflict with the ADA requirements. If there is a state or local law that would exclude an individual with a disability from a particular job or profession because of a health or safety risk, the employer still must assess whether a particular individual would pose a "direct threat" to health or safety under the ADA standard. If such a "direct threat" exists, the employer must consider whether it could be eliminated or reduced below the level of a "direct threat" by reasonable accommodation. An employer cannot rely on a state or local law that conflicts with ADA requirements as a defense to a charge of discrimination."

https://adata.org/guide/americans-di...ns-and-answers

I can see lawyers fighting over this.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:22 PM

3,370 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
I wonder how it would go over if they started doing flights specified as no mask.

My last flight tried to make a big deal of it, said you couldnt wear the masks with filters. BUT when it was snack time, we were all allowed to remove our mask and spread germs freely ... what a joke.

Hopefully flights from one free state to another free state can start foregoing this crazy.
ya what if the customer could choose to board a flight with no mask then all the people on the plane don't have to worry about freaking out over no mask. all the paranoid people could board the flight that says you have to wear a mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies