Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 07:32 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Would you rather they all went out of business? The reason the government subsidized many of them, is they are essential.

And no, that doesn't mean we own them and can violate their in flight policies.
caution: faulty assumption at work^
Why would airlines be "out of business" absent taxpayer money? Are travelers suddenly going to have a desire to spend weeks on a ship or days on a train, when the same trip by plane can be done in hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 07:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why would airlines be "out of business" absent taxpayer money? Are travelers suddenly going to have a desire to spend weeks on a ship or days on a train, when the same trip by plane can be done in hours?
There was a bail out several years ago, for airlines.

I'm guessing that's what people are referring to, when they imagine they own the airplanes.

But yes. If airlines went out of business, most people wouldn't be able to hire private planes to ferry them about.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:35 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
their profits are private, their assets are public.
No they're not. Their assets belong to the shareholders of that company. Not the general public. Perhaps you're confusing the airlines with Amtrak and big-city transit systems, all of which are indeed public entities.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:39 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
I'll preface by saying that I'm not in favor of how the airline bailout was done. We The People should have either kept our money, or required certain customer-friendly modifications from the airlines in return for the bailouts.

Nevertheless, they happened. And they happened because people stopped flying, all at once, as if a light switch had been thrown. The airlines' revenue just dried up and evaporated. It's not that people suddenly got nostalgic for train and ship travel; it's that they stopped traveling, period. But meanwhile, the airlines' expenses kept right on going. They still had to pay their flight crews and ground crews and airplane lease holders and so on and so on and so on. They were going to go out of business without drastic measures being taken, and the government decided that it was in the national interest to maintain a functioning airline industry.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:41 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
No they're not. Their assets belong to the shareholders of that company. Not the general public. Perhaps you're confusing the airlines with Amtrak and big-city transit systems, all of which are indeed public entities.
Im not confusing anything. You're hung on theory, I'm telling you the reality.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:47 AM

929 posts, read 303,895 times
There isn’’t any demonstrative threat to the passengers unless the child is tested positive for COVID..

Enough is enough. The burden is on the Government to prove that the child’s Constitutional Rights are to be overruled. Some states ,, including the one I live in have an exception to the mask mandate to attend. School with a Doctor’’s note..

The United States has passed Law after Law to accommodate the Handicapped and disabled.. These mask mandates and demands are not Laws. They are dictations by Government Officials.

Any of the other passengers could walk off the plane if they didn’t want to fly with an unmasked child with a disability.

The child is not presenting behavior of willful misconduct. A caring , nurturing and productive society allows thought and reasoning regarding the care of Children. An Authoritarian Society cares not for the citizens but for the pure lust for Authority.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Im not confusing anything. You're hung on theory, I'm telling you the reality.
The reality is we don't own the planes.

Despite the delusional belief of some who say "I pay my taxes!! I have every right to . . ." (whatever it is that they don't have a right to)

Old 03-23-2021, 07:49 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
This mask business has gone over the freaking edge. Insanity.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:55 AM

3,370 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
There isn’’t any demonstrative threat to the passengers unless the child is tested positive for COVID..

Enough is enough. The burden is on the Government to prove that the child’s Constitutional Rights are to be overruled. Some states ,, including the one I live in have an exception to the mask mandate to attend. School with a Doctor’’s note..

The United States has passed Law after Law to accommodate the Handicapped and disabled.. These mask mandates and demands are not Laws. They are dictations by Government Officials.

Any of the other passengers could walk off the plane if they didn’t want to fly with an unmasked child with a disability.

The child is not presenting behavior of willful misconduct. A caring , nurturing and productive society allows thought and reasoning regarding the care of Children. An Authoritarian Society cares not for the citizens but for the pure lust for Authority.

I'm glad some get it. This mask business is making a lot of people mad. they have no right to just take away the child's right to fly if he has no misconduct. people shout private property rights but they ignore individual rights. You can not even as a business discriminate against the disbled.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 03-23-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-23-2021, 08:06 AM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The “ no exception” thing has been Spirit’s policy since at least last August.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/spirit...s-mask-policy/

I am curious about their original flight, assuming they flew to Las Vegas. Was it with Spirit or another carrier?

That Spirit policy effectively ended on February 1. When the federal mandate kicked in it brought with it the reqiuirement that airlines must follow the ADA laws.

CDC specifically exempted from the order those who can't wear a mask due to a medical condition.

Lawyers are knocking down this couple's door as we speak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies