Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 05:46 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Personally or generally?

So I am able to choose to live in a community that daily shootings isn't a day to day issue.
These mass shootings don't seem to hit 'crime' ridden communities so that makes me think a little.

None of us imagine being in a movie theater, grocery store, school and being shot at.

I live in a community where the police departments have taken to frequent reminders to take the gun out of your car and to lock your car. That makes me so angry.

We always so criminals don't buy their guns -- nope -- many of them get them from glove compartments...ugh.

Selfishly -- daily killings not an issue
On a bigger issue -- gun violence in general in this country is out of control.
violence itself is out of control... there are more people killed by knives, than by guns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 05:47 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
An assault weapon is usually defined as a semi-auto

How about this. We will just ban the AR-15 since it's the number 1 gun of choice for these crazies.

I mean, you gun nuts can live without the AR-15 right? Don't be liberal snowflakes
So that means an M1 Garand or Mauser K98 is also an “assault weapon”?

Old 03-23-2021, 05:47 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
At the very minimum an AR-15 ban since they are used in pretty much every mass shooting.

The mouth breathers will come back with well hand guns kill the most. Yes they kill the most in BAD, usually ghetto neighborhoods.

These mass shootings are in nice areas where you don't expect any kind of crime of that magnitude. That's the difference.

The AR-15 especially is the gun because you can mow down so many more people.

Australia hasnt had a mass shooting since their ban
It's sad to see how the fascists in the US have so rapidly embraced tyranny under the guise of altruism.

It is not YOUR RIGHT to infringe upon MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. All democrats, who are totalitarians at heart, do not value individual liberties and understand the implications of beginning to revoke SOME RIGHTS.

Mao was right- liberals are "useful idiots" and are more deadly to US liberty than all of the enemies our nation has faced in the past.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:49 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
A person could kill just as many people with a semi-automatic pistol with an extended clip. I hate to break it to you, but it's too late. There are already more than 300 million guns in circulation. No matter what the law is, someone will always be able to get their hands on a gun if they want to. Maybe you should get one to protect yourself.
These CLUELESS individuals don't even realize we never had an actual ban on the made up term assault weapons. The "ban" in 1994 didn't ban a damn thing. I bought more center fire, semi-auto long guns during that stretch than I ever have. We have the same such useless ban right now in CA and I can buy an AR-15 today any local gun store. The are c-l-u-e-l-e-s-s to these feel good laws. They are simply symbolic to say the "did something".

Old 03-23-2021, 05:55 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times
If gun control works tell me about the murder rate in Chicago. ...and NYC and Philadelphia while you're at it for starters.

If you're against guns tell your wife and daughter you support their right to fistfight with 250lb rapists.

When the cops say to jab an attacker with your keys, why won't they give up their guns ?

Old 03-23-2021, 05:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
At the very minimum an AR-15 ban since they are used in pretty much every mass shooting.

The mouth breathers will come back with well hand guns kill the most. Yes they kill the most in BAD, usually ghetto neighborhoods.

These mass shootings are in nice areas where you don't expect any kind of crime of that magnitude. That's the difference.

the ar-15 has NOT been used in "pretty much every mass shooting."

the ar-15 is NOT an assault weapon

its a magazine fed, gas operated bolt action .223 (22 cal) semi-automatic hunting rifle.... it is NOT an assault weapon

ar15 has never been a military only weapon...it is a civilian weapon, and a good one, one which the military MODIFIED it for military use

the ar15 is NOT an assault weapon

you guys have said specifically "assault weapons" and "war weapons"

that is why people have asked the grabbers to define "assault weapon"

nearly every weapon out there seems to be an assault weapon to your ilk

90% of the people have no idea what an assault weapon is and isn't

its not bickering, we are not being nerds or obtuse about it

why don't we start with defining what an assault weapon is???

the most of these politico's can not define what "military style" is
or..... what an assault weapon is

before anyone should be proposing a law the definition needs to be clearly established

define assault weapon.....

an ar15 is NOT an assault weapon

define (you want a ban/regulation) of what an assault weapon is

everyone of these is what an ar15 could have....to include choice of caliber size)

is it caliber size
is it magazine(round storage) size
is it semi-auto
is it a handguard to protect the hands from a hot barrel
is it that it can have a scope mounted
is it that it can have a bipod mounted
is it because its (as the rolling stones said) Painted Black

nearly everyone of those option is available on nearly every weapon...to include handguns

the only one that is not available on nearly every weapon is: and its NOT available on the ar15 without an ILLEGAL mod (or grandfathered M16)....is it full auto

the ar15 is available:
in different calibers
in different magazine(round storage) size
in different styles of handguard to protect the hands from a hot barrel
in different scope mounts
in different bipod mounted
in different colors

nearly every rifle has those different options,,,over 65% of ALL rifles are semi

so if YOU are going to say BAN assault weapons LIKE the ar15...you are meaning nearly all rifles....AND HANDGUNS...... so make a definition otherwise you ARE SAYING ban them all..including handguns and pump shotguns

what about my tube magazine (10-15round) lever action Henry 44mag rifle (like what the "Rifleman" had but full length barrel )

so which is it ...ban an UNDEFINED set of weapons(which really means ban all).. or maintain our constitutional rights that shall NOT be infringed

Old 03-23-2021, 05:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
OP,
I'm just trying to understand what good a ban is?
Would the mass shootings stop if we banned these type of weapons?

Old 03-23-2021, 06:00 PM

23,616 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Op, and other fools, cannot wait until their nanny state, that they rely on so heavily, bans everything, eventually to include kitchen knives too(shades of the UK). Must be sad to be those who carry so much overwhelming fear in their everyday lives.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:00 PM

462 posts, read 207,902 times
Quote:

Chalk up yet another uninformed person who feels it's OK to give the government the authority to decide who can own certain guns and who can't, and the power to arbitrarily ban them from law-abiding people, without even bothering to see if his new bans would affect criminals who break laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
OP,
I'm just trying to understand what good a ban is?
Would the mass shootings stop if we banned these type of weapons?
We banned cocaine, heroin, meth, etc. Look how well those bans worked.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:03 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
So that means an M1 Garand or Mauser K98 is also an “assault weapon”?
Guess my ol Grandpa's 740 is an assault weapon. Well, it did kill quite a few deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies