Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 06:49 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
At the very minimum an AR-15 ban since they are used in pretty much every mass shooting.

The mouth breathers will come back with well hand guns kill the most. Yes they kill the most in BAD, usually ghetto neighborhoods.

These mass shootings are in nice areas where you don't expect any kind of crime of that magnitude. That's the difference.

The AR-15 especially is the gun because you can mow down so many more people.

Australia hasnt had a mass shooting since their ban
That means nothing.

Quote:
Then, my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I'd lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence.
Quote:
I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn't prove much about what America's policy should be. Neither nation experienced drops in mass shootings or other gun related-crime that could be attributed to their buybacks and bans. Mass shootings were too rare in Australia for their absence after the buyback program to be clear evidence of progress. And in both Australia and Britain, the gun restrictions had an ambiguous effect on other gun-related crimes or deaths.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.bd1ff9c99bd0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 06:50 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
won't stop inner city crime you say..so what?..I know it won't..it won't stop any kind of crime, but it should still be done because nobody NEEDS an assault weapon..period..and why on earth would you think I would like that fact that it won't stop inner city crime..you don't know me..black on black crime or white on white crime or mass shootings will still happen because there is waaaay to many guns already out there..that genie will never go back in the bottle..but we should still stop selling them to the general public, and no I won't pat myself on the back about any of it..
An assault weapon is nothing more than a semi-auto rifle made to look scary, no different than the m-1 carbine. As far as there are too many guns out there, yea too many illegal guns.

M-1

Old 03-23-2021, 06:51 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
So does banning these weapons also mean confiscating the 10 to 20 million that are in the hands of the public?

Old 03-23-2021, 06:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Freedom used to mean being able to go to the damn grocery store without being terrified.
To put this into perspective, mass killing victims are about 1% of all murder victims. So the chances of you being murdered are significantly higher than you being murdered in a mass killing.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
These CLUELESS individuals don't even realize we never had an actual ban on the made up term assault weapons. The "ban" in 1994 didn't ban a damn thing. I bought more center fire, semi-auto long guns during that stretch than I ever have. We have the same such useless ban right now in CA and I can buy an AR-15 today any local gun store. The are c-l-u-e-l-e-s-s to these feel good laws. They are simply symbolic to say the "did something".

You are s-o-o-o-o-o w-r-o-n-g-!

Biden immediately calls for legislation to ban law-abiding citizens from buying guns-shooting-year-assault-style-firearms.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_s..._United_States

Old 03-23-2021, 06:56 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So does banning these weapons also mean confiscating the 10 to 20 million that are in the hands of the public?
Democrats will probably develop a “gun buyback” program. So instead of criminals killing eachother over drugs, they will start killing eachother over other guns that can bring them more money.

As you can see, Democrats aren’t good at planing ahead.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:56 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
To put this into perspective, mass killing victims are about 1% of all murder victims. So the chances of you being murdered are significantly higher than you being murdered in a mass killing.
That is a sad "perspective" for the US. Our country is the most violent and dangerous on the planet.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:58 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That is a sad "perspective" for the US. Our country is the most violent and dangerous on the planet.
And yet America is still 1000x better than any country most immigrants originate from.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:58 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
It's shameful that America has cultural issues that keep the vicious cycle of violence and lack of respect for human life going. Other economically prosperous countries, such as Japan and Australia, do not have the level of violence that the United States has currently and has had for a significant length of time.

I think we just have an engrained violent culture here, that goes back throughout our history, to be honest. Lax gun laws certainly don't help, but it goes beyond that.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:01 PM

462 posts, read 207,805 times
Do you think it's a GOOD idea to ban law-abiding citizens who have never shot, threatened, or worried anybody, from buying so-called "assault weapons"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies