Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 04:40 PM

46,370 posts, read 27,192,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I see reading comprehension isn't practiced.
You are demonstrating no reading comprehension.

Quote:
Reform is not the same as 'ban'.
Agreed

Quote:
This isn't the wild west.
The only people that say the "wild west" are those on the left for pro gun laws.

Quote:
Gun reform has for years and years been a contention. 2nd amendment is not in jeopardy.
So, chip away.....which is something you have no comprehension.

Quote:
When nation's have 'talks' on nuclear reform, we breathe a little easier. Yet by golly let a leader bring forth some reforms ...which guide society. And suddenly Mr Smith and Wesson don't want to come to the table.
No, mr smith and wesson won't, until those that cannot understand that daily killings happen that are not publicized...only because it's a person in this city and a person in another city....yet they are still dead, but continue to care ONLY about mass shootings....

Comprehend that, if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 04:42 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,275,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Solve? No! Minimize? Yes!

Do traffic laws “solve” accidents? Not really. Minimize them? Absolutely. We don’t ditch traffic laws because they don’t solve 100% of all accidents, but they are there for the benefit of society. Although sometimes they can be annoying. When I hurry to work and the red light stops me for a long time - it’s very annoying. Still I don’t want to get rid of it. It’s the same with firearms.

"Minimize", absolutely not. I think the word you're looking for is 'reduce', at best you can hope for is a reduction. Then the argument rightly turns to just how much of a reduction can we expect vs the 'cost' of attaining that reduction. I'm sure we can further 'reduce' traffic fatalities if one had to take a driving test every time you got into your car, but the cost (both in $$$ and time) would be out of line with the benefits (until someone comes up with an app and the govt mandates it of course, think of the children!).

Old 03-23-2021, 04:50 PM

29,611 posts, read 14,748,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Universal background checks are have been found to be massively popular in pretty much every poll ever made. They're only blocked because certain Republicans are scared of losing their checks from the NЯA.
The shooter just purchased that semi auto rifle, apparently a background check didn't do too much to stop this.

https://apnews.com/article/colorado-...73cc6bb534a711

Old 03-23-2021, 04:54 PM

1,162 posts, read 457,718 times
Default How backwards are we when we don't have an Assault weapons ban yet

At the very minimum an AR-15 ban since they are used in pretty much every mass shooting.

The mouth breathers will come back with well hand guns kill the most. Yes they kill the most in BAD, usually ghetto neighborhoods.

These mass shootings are in nice areas where you don't expect any kind of crime of that magnitude. That's the difference.

The AR-15 especially is the gun because you can mow down so many more people.

Australia hasnt had a mass shooting since their ban

Old 03-23-2021, 05:03 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,473,511 times
Biden didn’t call to ban law abiding citizens from buying guns. As usual, that’s your “interpretation” and you present it as fact.

He called to increase background checks of people asking to purchase firearms. And why not?

Old 03-23-2021, 05:05 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,699,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
assualt weapons ban and tighter background checks..I got no problem with either on of them..just do it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Ofcourse you don’t have a problem with it, it won’t stop inner city crime, just how you like it. Blacks destroying one another with illegally acquired weapons while you pat yourself on the back over window dressing gun laws.

won't stop inner city crime you say..so what?..I know it won't..it won't stop any kind of crime, but it should still be done because nobody NEEDS an assault weapon..period..and why on earth would you think I would like that fact that it won't stop inner city crime..you don't know me..black on black crime or white on white crime or mass shootings will still happen because there is waaaay to many guns already out there..that genie will never go back in the bottle..but we should still stop selling them to the general public, and no I won't pat myself on the back about any of it..

Old 03-23-2021, 05:06 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,849,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
At the very minimum an AR-15 ban since they are used in pretty much every mass shooting.

The mouth breathers will come back with well hand guns kill the most. Yes they kill the most in BAD, usually ghetto neighborhoods.

These mass shootings are in nice areas where you don't expect any kind of crime of that magnitude. That's the difference.

The AR-15 especially is the gun because you can mow down so many more people.

Australia hasnt had a mass shooting since their ban
Couldn't agree more.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,079,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
Naturally, someone with the mindset to blow away ten shoppers in a grocery store, isn't the kind of person who would obey new laws saying you can't buy the kind of gun he used. Only people who obey laws, would be affected by it. And they're not the ones causing the problem.

Never mind that the last so-called "Assault Weapons Ban" had no effect on the murder rate when it was in effect. Apparently Biden thinks it worked so well, that he wants to do it again.

Like a trained dog that salivates when you ring a bell, whenever some criminals nutcase shoots innocent people, the liberals react by restricting the guns of law-abiding citizens.

Remind me again, why we keep voting the trained dogs into office?

------------------------------------

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/bou...3723e2b7a9d945

Biden urges Senate to immediately pass House bills on gun reform
From CNN's Kevin Liptak and Jeff Zeleny

President Biden said he would do everything in his power to keep Americans safe following the latest mass shooting in Colorado and pushed the Senate to immediately pass two House-passed gun reforms, including a universal background checks measure and an assault weapons ban.

"I don't need to wait another minute, let alone an hour, to take common sense steps that will save lives in the future," he said in remarks from the White House.

He listed a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, as well as strengthening the background check system by closing loopholes, as areas he would like to see Congress act on.
Yup by making it harder for the good guys to get guns - it does inevitablly make it harder and more expensive for the bad guys.

I get it -- It is not an ideal solution.

I am Canadian and never grasped the gun thing. But I've had endless informative discussions and get it. Many of the gun control suggestions are not perceived as impacting criminal aspects or mental health issues. I kind of agree. I don't know what the solution is. B ut there is no denying the USA has a serious gun violence issue. I don't want to take guns away from those of you that aren't inclined to misuse your right...but I don't know what the solution is.

But every time we have a shooting more and more want to ban completely (which is ridiculous), control more.......

I know it is frustrating for folks.

I don't know what the solution is.

The only thing I can think of if there is a bone that could be thrown....a compromise. I just don't know.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:07 PM

45,268 posts, read 26,522,131 times
Quote:
Biden didn’t call to ban law abiding citizens from buying guns. As usual, that’s your “interpretation” and you present it as fact.

He called to increase background checks of people asking to purchase firearms. And why not?
Because the checks are illegal ( the constitution forbids govt interference in gun ownership), immoral (no one kills more people with guns than the govt) and they are ineffective ( bad guys will break laws)

Old 03-23-2021, 05:08 PM

18,472 posts, read 7,116,146 times
Quote:
Law abiding citizens? The killer from Boulder may have also been law abiding....until yesterday.
I could be wrong, but he probably bought that firearm legally (for freedom and self defense)...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html

So you want to punish and restrict the Constitutional rights of millions of people, based on what one person MIGHT do?

Typical Liberal mindset.

Authoritarian to the core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies