Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 06:49 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

Oy............

Old 03-30-2021, 06:56 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Its going to be called whatever marketing thinks will work the best. Capitalism will drive this. If you dont like that reality, what would you prefer?

Old 03-30-2021, 11:04 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Calling it Master bedroom is racist...where does this all end...
I'm a realtor but will not engage in woke stupidity. I put master bdm/master bath, etc in all of my listings. But my clients are reasonable adults, not woke, whiney, virtue signaling victims.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:06 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
So what's the difference? Seems to be the same really. LOL

Old 03-31-2021, 05:05 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
When we were shopping for house plans in 1986, this was already a trend.

Why does this bother y'all? Realtors were noticing that announcing the "master suite" to their black customers wasn't always received well.
I bought another house in 2019, and the largest bedroom was listed as the "Master" bedroom. It may be a regional thing, who knows?

I would also figure some black people may actually like the thought of being the "Master" in their own homes. Again, who knows?

I usually try not to use language myself that would likely insult somebody, but I also have little tolerance for activist idiots that use PC as a bullying means of control.

I had my very own interaction with these very types of terms a few years ago.

Being the senior technical systems engineer in my work place (at the time), I was traveling and giving regional refresher training sessions to other regional security engineers, one of these a training class on vehicle control barriers used at U.S. govt facilities in Latin America.
The manufacturer of the controls uses the terms "Master", "SubMaster" and "Slave" to describe the controller panels used to operate their systems. In my training, I too was using these same terms, as it made it easier to understand the hierarchy of how the systems controls interact with the units and each other.

A young engineer in my training session interrupted me, and asked me why I was using those terms. I informed her that it was the manufacturers terms that I was using, and pertinent to how the sequence of operations worked. A bit later she interrupted again, and insisted I use different terms other than "master" and "slave".

I asked her what terms should I use then?

She just stared at me. Blinked her eyes. Deer in the headlights. No response.

Ok, then, carrying on....

A bit later, I used the term "slave" again, and she interrupted again, and raised her voice at me. She stated "I thought I told you not to use those words!"

There was 6 others in the class, now some visibly annoyed at her. She turned to the only other female engineer in the room that day, and challenged her with "DOESN'T THIS BOTHER YOU TOO??? THIS IS OFFENSIVE!"

I took her out in the hallway, and told her she was expelled from this training session for the multiple interruptions and disrespect to the rest of the class. I went back in and closed the door behind me.

She did not try to enter the room again, but we did hear her use expletives in Spanish through the door, clearly aimed at me.
The others in the class looked embarrassed, but relieved that she was out of the room.

I did indeed gave her a failing grade on the session, and for the the next two classes (on different topics) that she failed to return for.

Her agency, (who had paid for her to come for this training), inquired on the failing grades. I emailed back regarding the incident (and also mentioned the others who were present from the same region).

I heard nothing back on it, so I am sure this controlling PC type behaviour was already known, regarding this particular person.

I did not tolerate it.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:09 AM

7,917 posts, read 3,458,721 times
I've always called it the main bedroom because mater bedroom sounded pretentious. Owner's suite sounds even more pretentious. I bet they charge more for that.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:16 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
This country has too much time on their hands it appears to even think about crap like this. How about we get to work? LOL. Instead of sitting Around thinking about what words may offend some grown adult?

Old 03-31-2021, 05:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,966 times
Owner's Suite sounds more substantial than Master Bedroom. Master could just be a large bedroom, maybe a half bath attached. Owner's Suite sounds like a whole section of house, with the large private bathroom and walk-in closet

Old 03-31-2021, 05:20 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Learned this from a customer yesterday: It is no longer the MASTER bedroom. It is now called the OWNER's SUITE.

Isn't that sweet !!!

??? How many rooms are reserved for the slaves quarters

Potential OWNER's may want to know before purchase that their property will be accommodated !!!

Old 03-31-2021, 05:26 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
A few years ago, I was working with a real estate agent who always referred to the largest bedroom of the houses we were looking as the master bedroom. He made comments about a few clients he was helping who lived in the ghetto.

I also have had neighbors, colleagues and friends over the years who voluntarily expressed to me their dislike for areas they consider to be ghetto, dirty or trashy.

All of them happened to black.

CNN, MSNBC and liberal politicians in general don’t want you to know how people in the real world actually think.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-31-2021 at 05:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies