Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 08:41 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Do you know of any coordinated attack to persecute black people?
No I don’t. I don’t like cops. But I also don’t think there is a coordinated effort to kill black people. Both can be true. I think because cops are generally bad at what they do black people suffer more as a side effect. But I don’t think the issue with police is a racial issue. Which is why I don’t like BLM. I feel they cheapen the real problem with police brutality. Which is a real problem in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 08:44 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Indeed- However, every bum and grifter will seek whatever free treasures they can secure through intimidation and absurd narratives.

I do not blacks for reparations shakedowns and payments from municipalities. I blame the liberals for giving such absurd notions credence and perpetuating the problem.

Until black America takes responsibility for their shortcomings and addresses the real issues behind their failures, they will perpetually be doomed to occupy the bottom rungs of society.
Truth said.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Truth said.

But black people as a whole aren’t doing that bad. It’s a 10% position of black people who are doing bad. The typical black person wakes up, go to work, pay bills and live a normal life. But all we want to talk about when we talk about black people are hood rats and thugs.

It’s just a silly characterization. And it’s really at the borderline of racist ideology. I’m going to say it’s ignorance because due news cycles and images of black people in the media. But that type of thinking only opens a path way to racist ideology. I would really try to counter balance such opinions because they’re extremely negative and are only going to be harmful for you in the long run

Old 04-23-2021, 08:50 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Not that distant. Like basically 50 years ago. When you read history even 100-200 years isn’t a long time ago. We often talk about the Roman Empire as a period in time. And that stood for over 1000 years. That’s a distant memory. Something that happened 200 years ago and 50 years ago isn’t distant at all
It is now the year 2021 A.D.. The Civil War ended in 1865 A.D., meaning it's completion occurred 150+ years ago. Historians and sociologists use two types of generations. One is 'Familial Generations', or the time between a man being born and they themselves having children, and those children in turn having grandchildren, and so on.

In the Western world, this time-frame is between 20 to 30 years for each generation. The other is “Social Generations”, defined as a group or 'cohort' having been born and growing into adulthood in a shared time with shared cultural and historical experiences. (Think the Greatest Generation, Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millennials, and then post-Millennials, because post-Millenials haven't really been given a universal name unique to them yet.) In the Western world, the number used as a blanket rule of thumb is 30 years. If we use the number of 30 years because it is found in both generational models, and given the 150+ year time-span since the end of the Civil War and slavery, then there have been 5 full generations, with the 6th having started a few years ago, that have lived without knowing slavery in the U.S. since the end of the Civil War.

Do we really want to rehash and relive a divisive, destructive conflict and argument, one that led to the deadliest, most violent, and emotionally charged wars in American history? One that divided families , pit brother against brother, and almost permanently tore our country in two, yet in which no one of living memory, now or for the last five full generations, was there to witness? Isn't at least five generations of time passed enough to let sleeping dogs lie?

I am not suggesting that we should forget history, but we should also keep from existing in it. While remembering the lessons learned, perhaps it's best to honor those who suffered as slaves and those who died fighting slavery by continuing to progress since their sacrifice, instead of returning to it.

Plus, here is the most confusing question of them all, WHAT EXACTLY DO WE WANT WHITE PEOPLE TO DO? admitting racism exists and move on? issue a public apology to the minority groups and move on? Or reparations for slavery? What exactly do you want them to do? Please answer that. What happens if they check their white privilege? what happens if they dont? What differences does it make? lol

Old 04-23-2021, 08:52 AM

1,265 posts, read 445,473 times
What is a fair dollar figure for reparations?

Old 04-23-2021, 08:57 AM

717 posts, read 453,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It is now the year 2021 A.D.. The Civil War ended in 1865 A.D., meaning it's completion occurred 150+ years ago. Historians and sociologists use two types of generations. One is 'Familial Generations', or the time between a man being born and they themselves having children, and those children in turn having grandchildren, and so on.

In the Western world, this time-frame is between 20 to 30 years for each generation. The other is “Social Generations”, defined as a group or 'cohort' having been born and growing into adulthood in a shared time with shared cultural and historical experiences. (Think the Greatest Generation, Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millennials, and then post-Millennials, because post-Millenials haven't really been given a universal name unique to them yet.) In the Western world, the number used as a blanket rule of thumb is 30 years. If we use the number of 30 years because it is found in both generational models, and given the 150+ year time-span since the end of the Civil War and slavery, then there have been 5 full generations, with the 6th having started a few years ago, that have lived without knowing slavery in the U.S. since the end of the Civil War.

Do we really want to rehash and relive a divisive, destructive conflict and argument, one that led to the deadliest, most violent, and emotionally charged wars in American history? One that divided families , pit brother against brother, and almost permanently tore our country in two, yet in which no one of living memory, now or for the last five full generations, was there to witness? Isn't at least five generations of time passed enough to let sleeping dogs lie?

I am not suggesting that we should forget history, but we should also keep from existing in it. While remembering the lessons learned, perhaps it's best to honor those who suffered as slaves and those who died fighting slavery by continuing to progress since their sacrifice, instead of returning to it.

Plus, here is the most confusing question of them all, WHAT EXACTLY DO WE WANT WHITE PEOPLE TO DO? admitting racism exists and move on? issue a public apology to the minority groups and move on? Or reparations for slavery? What exactly do you want them to do? Please answer that. What happens if they check their white privilege? what happens if they dont? What differences does it make? lol
We need to end the racism that’s still alive to this day, we see it in policing and we see it in segregation in opportunities. The Jim Crow era went into the late 1970s so it’s not just slavery and we still see racism in 2021.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
We need to end the racism that’s still alive to this day, we see it in policing and we see it in segregation in opportunities.
couple examples would be appreciated.

By the way, If we think we can ever end racism through some sort of government program or something else forced on others, we are deluding ourselves into something that’s not only pie in the sky utopian, but incredibly naive.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:02 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It still doesn't change how I feel about more anti-black threads.
Where did you get the idea this is an anti-black thread?

Old 04-23-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
We need to end the racism that’s still alive to this day, we see it in policing and we see it in segregation in opportunities. The Jim Crow era went into the late 1970s so it’s not just slavery and we still see racism in 2021.
yes, we do, just like we still see cockroaches, we will forever see "racism". Just like one of my friend has said, "even if we are all white, we will still judge others based on their hair or eye color."

Old 04-23-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
150 years ago isn't that long ago. There were still living former slaves when my grandmother was a teenager in the 40s. My grandmother grandmother was a former slave. It's not that long ago.

I'm not an old man. I'm 41 years old. My mother and grandmother both lived during Jim Crow in their lifetimes. It was not that long ago.

So we're really not talking about distant history here. We don't tell Jews to get over the Holocaust or tell them that it was SOOOO LOONNGGG AGGGOOO. Because we know historically it wasn't.

Who has ever gotten over something within 100 years anyway? No one. Native Americans still don't like white people either. They haven't forgiven. Their voice is less vocal, but you can hear their activist talk about their issues.

Quote:
Rubbish. you don't know history. What do you think happened to these big farms after slavery ended? Do you think no one in the south worked? Really think about it?

Plantations still continued to exist. A new modeled called sharecropping was proposed. Where people could technically leave the farms. But most of the time they did share cropping. They were paid via a trade system. In which the hand has to make a quota, and then they could use credits to buy things like food. And shelter was embedded into the cost.

So what followed was pseudo slavery. It was only after full industrialization took place where blacks started to migrate to the midwest and northeast for jobs. Basically the old rust belt. This is why you see many blacks people in cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburg, Philly, Baltimore. All hand pretty sizable manufacturing basis.

After manufacturing took a hit, overnight many striving middle class black communities became impoverished. With a new interstate system de-valuing the neigbhorhoods and destroying businesses in those areas. Like in white communities drug abused followed. And low and behold, the War On Drugs was declared by Nixon.

This destroyed many black families. Having black children basically coming up through the system. This is affectionately called the Cradle to Prison pipeline.

There are so many horrible policy decisions from democrats and republicans that has trampled over any black progress. so the thug culture that everyone seem to fetishize in these forums.

It takes only one bad policy to destroy a community. But it take generations to repair one. Just think about that. Because you seem to value some level of intellectual honesty.

Quote:
It hasn't been 5 generations, but whatever. Just read the history of the world, and you tell me any situation where the oppressed forgave the oppressor in 50 years time. You really won't find it. But you're free to look.

Quote:

I don't want white people to do anything. It's not a white people thing. It's a government thing. I would prefer white people use their power to abolish the government and move to a totally free market. But since white people use their majority power to use the government to protect themselves. It's not going to happen.

I personally think black people should just lose the right to vote. And this will fix all of black people's problems. The problem with black people is that we try to participate in the process of government. And government is the biggest enemy of the black man and woman. It has made black people complacent, and lazy. So I think black people need to not participate in the political process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies