Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 12:53 PM

717 posts, read 453,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
During the Civil War, approximately 6% of the entire white male population gave their lives and died for freedom and ending slavery. The debt has been paid, and black people owe white people gratitude for that.
Not true. They didn’t die for black people. If they did they would not have had racism in northern factory towns or the racist protests in late 1800s in New York. They felt good attributing their cause to abolishing slavery but it was simply a byproduct of their purpose of needing a Union undivided for the governing power structure to remain in tact.

They fought against the confederacy because the economic sustainability of the union could not stand without the exports of the southern states or the land for military and strategic national defense against foreign invasions. If that wasn’t true, the north would not care the slightest about the secession. They would say good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 12:53 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Monopoly was used an analogy...and a useful one at that.

Many foreign immigrants leave their country for the U.S. already possessing skills and an education base that give them an edge in their new home.

Of course, we should all applaud immigrant success stories and we can all learn important lessons from their success. That doesn't negate the bolded part above.

"Normal whites" (whatever that means) came back from WWII and got the full benefits of the GI Bill. Black servicemen were not so fortunate.

https://www.militarytimes.com/milita...sure-it-wasnt/
This is very true. People will not admit there was and still is unfairness.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:18 PM

447 posts, read 322,072 times
I heard many elderly Chinese people arrived in the USA in early 80s with less than 30 dollars in the pocket. They did not have any skills and could not speak English at all. The first thing and the only job they could do was to find a restaurant starting washing the dishes in the back kitchen. Dish washing needs no skill at all.

After 14 or 15 years of hard working, they finally will open their own takeaway shops. However, their next generation mostly don't work in the restaurants but find some technical jobs via education. It actually does not only happen in the Chinese community but also in the Koreans, Japanese and Indians, or all the Asian communities. Asians believe that you can change life via education and knowledge is power.

The Jewish people do an even better job on supporting the next generation. There are sets of values and culture gifts passing from generation to generation in these communities including the white people. I also had several class mates from African countries they are no difference from others, easy to communicate and cooperative. They are different from the local American Africans.

So I am confused what the problem of the black community is? Surly they need help, but how?

They are far better than those workers in the back kitchen, but their children might just repeat the life they are living. With so much support from other people's taxes into the school system, with free food and housing aid, the result is not that great. I guess there are some lack of spiritual back up. Dads and mums don't teach kids how to achieve what they want. Especially the single mum rate shocked me. There are families relying heavily on social welfare in other countries but people there are living much happier life there. They love life and enrich it everyday.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:49 PM

4,393 posts, read 1,701,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The 1960s say hi.
It’s been a problem long before that...

Old 04-22-2021, 02:12 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
1) I also had several class mates from African countries they are no difference from others. 2) So I am confused what the problem of the black community is?
1) I'm assuming when you say classmates you're referring to foreign students who came here for college. People spending tens of thousands of dollars to come to the United States to get educated aren't your average African. They're either rich, connected to the government, or have exceptionally high test scores. If you were to go to South Africa or Zimbabwe and live with everyday blacks there, you would think American blacks are the epitome of civilization.

2) In my view the #1 predictor for success is respect for authority(a psychologist would refer to this as "conscientiousness"). Blacks by-and-large have no respect for authority, and an almost hatred for society. If you don't respect authority, you won't finish school, you can't hold a job, you'll break the law any time you think you can get away with it, etc. They often have a hatred for the very notion of "success". Not because they don't want to be rich, but because they're disgusted by what you have to do, which they consider slavish and base.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...scientiousness

Furthermore, I don't think it comes as easy for them, while they're forced to compete against people with both social and natural advantages. This often makes them frustrated, angry, and resentful. While reinforcing an inferiority-complex which at times motivates them to go above-and-beyond to prove their worth, but often makes them feel helpless and distrustful.

So what can be done? I have an answer, but no one ever likes my answers.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:03 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,902,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Not true. They didn’t die for black people.

Many Union soldiers did die to end slavery. There were as many motives for the Civil War as men who fought in it. Each had their own motives.

Certainly, ending slavery was a big motivating factor. Uncle Tom's Cabin was a bestseller. An anti-slavery novel that historians credit with helping prevent Britain from intervening on the side of the South.

The British elite was sympathetic to the Confederacy. They relied on the South for cotton, and they shared similar aristocratic attitudes. But Uncle Tom's Cabin sold well among the populace, increasing abolitionist and anti-Confederate sympathies. It's one reason Britain refrained from offering military support to the South.

Uncle Tom's Cabin also inspired many Northern abolitionists.

Then there's the Battle Hymn of the Republic, which reflected the sentiments of many Union soldiers and sympathizers at the time. Note its refrain:
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me.
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:11 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Black people need to take responsibility for their own lives and communities and stop blaming others.
remember that time black people took responsibility for their own lives and communities and stopped blaming whites. And black people became prosperous and the result was:

Old 04-22-2021, 04:15 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
No one owes anyone anything if we're discussing actions of long dead people. Handle your own crap and don't ask anyone else to pay for your decisions.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:16 PM

6,672 posts, read 2,977,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
remember that time black people took responsibility for their own lives and communities and stopped blaming whites. And black people became prosperous and the result was:
excuses excuses. You really think something like that, a hundred years ago, would fly today?

please.

Stop looking for excuses to wait around until someone hands you a life.

and that goes for anyone.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:18 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I was just listening to Asmongold talking about "Ashes of Creation". It is a massively-multiplayer online video game where individual player decisions will have a permanent impact on the game world. This might sound good in theory, but that in the end it always means a bunch of jerks ruin the game.

The decisions of other people affect you. The idea that individuals are responsible for everything that happens in their lives is absurd.

No one is owed equality, period. But from a practical standpoint, it is probably a good idea.

The Civil War was not fought to end slavery. Almost none of the white men in the North would have fought a war to abolish slavery. Four Northern states had slavery throughout the Civil War. The fugitive-slave act continued to be enforced. Had the Civil War ended before 1863, slavery wouldn't have been abolished when it did. When blacks began to join the Union Army, white northerners rioted and refused to fight alongside them. And the emancipation proclamation didn't actually free a single slave. The 13th-amendment did.

1) I'm sure some people are owed some things.
2) Keep in mind that "society" is a hierarchy. As such, there will necessarily be people at the top, as well as at the bottom. This notion that everyone could be rich if they only worked hard enough is ridiculous.

True, but blacks didn't have a single ship that could make the transatlantic voyage. They're here because they were brought here by white people.

The government didn't just build an interstate for no apparent reason. Though I agree that eminent domain meets less political resistance when it goes through poor neighborhood. Plus it is a lot cheaper.

No one thinks it was moral. No one who could watch the video and not be disgusted. I think if Chauvin was a private-citizen he would be roundly condemned. But we tend to hold police to a different standard because violence is part of their job, and because treating them like ordinary citizens would make their job more dangerous if not impossible.

Everyone including black people need to stop blaming someone and get off the butt and work and work until you succeed. Looking to the government for handouts and blaming others is and admission you are a failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies