Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 08:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Yeah this is what a lot of people are struggling with. And people don't really see how much they really belittle black people.

Like the Chauvin case. You have people freakin out at the verdict. When it is so crystal clear that a guy knee was on a guys neck for 9 minutes. Whatever legal implications there may be. How is this act at all moral?

It's like you've humanized the officer but have completely dehumanized the victim. Or the most egregious example Philadro Castil. Where people say he was killed because he didn't comply. So is non-compliance a death sentence now? Is this our great and free society? Cop doesn't like what you say or do, so that's a justification to get killed?

Beyond politics, this mindset is vile. It lacks any morality or human decency. And people who think this way are completely toxic.

Yeah I get it there are a lot of things about BLM I don't like either. But people focus too much on political groups, and not enough on people getting their lives destroyed.
Sadly, I believe that this mindset has been completely internalized for many to the extent that they don’t even realize that it has become their default.

We saw it, as noted, with Mr. Castile and similarly with Breona Taylor.
Far too any people still cannot accept that the police were just wrong as they likely would have done had the victims in both instances been white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 08:13 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And white people who think they were born with the world owing them a living from cradle to grave absolutely need to do the very same thing.
Such persons are overwhelmingly Democrats. Democrats outnumber Republicans as enrollees in public assistance programs by as much as 5 to 1.

The percentage of public assistance program enrollees who are Democrats:

Chart

Data source: The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University

The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University is the nation's top-ranked school for public affairs, having earned the #1 spot in the U.S. News ranking in every survey year except one. It is the preeminent school in the US for those pursuing degrees in Public Administration.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:24 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Black people need to take responsibility for their own lives and communities and stop blaming others.
I was just listening to Asmongold talking about "Ashes of Creation". It is a massively-multiplayer online video game where individual player decisions will have a permanent impact on the game world. This might sound good in theory, but that in the end it always means a bunch of jerks ruin the game.

The decisions of other people affect you. The idea that individuals are responsible for everything that happens in their lives is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Equality. That’s what they owe them... and everyone else.
No one is owed equality, period. But from a practical standpoint, it is probably a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
During the Civil War, approximately 6% of the entire white male population gave their lives and died for freedom and ending slavery.
The Civil War was not fought to end slavery. Almost none of the white men in the North would have fought a war to abolish slavery. Four Northern states had slavery throughout the Civil War. The fugitive-slave act continued to be enforced. Had the Civil War ended before 1863, slavery wouldn't have been abolished when it did. When blacks began to join the Union Army, white northerners rioted and refused to fight alongside them. And the emancipation proclamation didn't actually free a single slave. The 13th-amendment did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Nobody owes anyone anything. Period. You make your own way in this world. You succeed or fail on your own efforts. Don’t like your dead end minimum wage job? Do something about it. Better yourself. Find a better job. Work for what you want in life. Nobody is going to hand it to you.
1) I'm sure some people are owed some things.
2) Keep in mind that "society" is a hierarchy. As such, there will necessarily be people at the top, as well as at the bottom. This notion that everyone could be rich if they only worked hard enough is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Both IS and slavers were SOLD BY their FELLOW BLACKS!
True, but blacks didn't have a single ship that could make the transatlantic voyage. They're here because they were brought here by white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
There is a reason some of our cities have a horrible interstate design because the design was not for traffic but because they COULD.
The government didn't just build an interstate for no apparent reason. Though I agree that eminent domain meets less political resistance when it goes through poor neighborhood. Plus it is a lot cheaper.

Quote:
How is this act at all moral?
No one thinks it was moral. No one who could watch the video and not be disgusted. I think if Chauvin was a private-citizen he would be roundly condemned. But we tend to hold police to a different standard because violence is part of their job, and because treating them like ordinary citizens would make their job more dangerous if not impossible.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:41 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

True, but blacks didn't have a single ship that could make the transatlantic voyage. They're here because they were brought here by white people.

There was too much in your post to respond to, some I agree with some not. I did see a historic inaccuracy though that bears mentioning. Only 3% of slaves landed in North America directly by white people. Most of the other 97% were shipped over to North and South America by Brazil and the Spanish. I guess it depends on how broad your definition of white people is. Are Spanish considered white? Some maybe? Brazilians I would think not? Sure, there was demand from the Southern states, but that was not all the demand.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:44 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

No one thinks it was moral. No one who could watch the video and not be disgusted. I think if Chauvin was a private-citizen he would be roundly condemned. But we tend to hold police to a different standard because violence is part of their job, and because treating them like ordinary citizens would make their job more dangerous if not impossible.

This raises an ethnical dilemma. Because police are law enforcement. And laws should have to based in morality or some sort of ethics. Just because someone has authority, does it make something fundamentally immoral more moral? And if this is the case, if we submit that those in power are judge by a different standard of morality. Then doesn't this make us no worse than the mindset associated with totalitarian regimes across the world?

Old 04-22-2021, 08:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
I am mostly "white" but part African according to a DNA test. I don't owe anyone anything. Other than my mortgagor.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:56 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Yes, another "let's complain about Black people thread".

Old 04-22-2021, 10:11 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
There was too much in your post to respond to, some I agree with some not. I did see a historic inaccuracy though that bears mentioning. Only 3% of slaves landed in North America directly by white people. Most of the other 97% were shipped over to North and South America by Brazil and the Spanish. I guess it depends on how broad your definition of white people is. Are Spanish considered white? Some maybe? Brazilians I would think not? Sure, there was demand from the Southern states, but that was not all the demand.
The point I was trying to make is, Africans did not have the technological capability to build ships that could make the Trans-Atlantic voyage. Thus without European ships, there could not be the Trans-Atlantic slave-trade. Europeans thus established slavery in the New World and either directly brought the slaves here, or facilitated the means by which they were brought.

As for the Spanish and Portuguese being white, that is debatable I suppose, but by most definitions they are. You might be right, in that at the point that Brazil became socially and racially-mixed, there could have been slave ships owned by black people, or at least manned by them. Blacks were not morally-opposed to slavery, and regularly engaged in slavery amongst themselves. As well as the Arabs.

If you want to understand the context of my statement, I was actually thinking of a quote by H.P. Lovecraft. Which I can't post here, but I'll link it. Hopefully it doesn't get me in trouble.

https://ifunny.co/picture/you-wrote-...test-VRB7IlY48

Quote:
Just because someone has authority, does it make something fundamentally immoral more moral?
No. I just mean we sort of accept that cops are power-hungry jerks, but take that as an acceptable price to pay for "order". There is still a line they can't cross, but it isn't the same line as for private citizens.

Quote:
And if this is the case, if we submit that those in power are judge by a different standard of morality. Then doesn't this make us no worse than the mindset associated with totalitarian regimes across the world?
Yes, where do you think you are? What do you think the state is?

Edit: I was listening to this video yesterday. It talks a bit about America as an empire. Which used to be something people rejected as absurd. Now I think most people just accept it uncritically. It is what it is. People are worried about getting a good job, protecting their property, and keeping their kids safe. What America does in other parts of the world, or why America even exists, is not a question that overly concerns them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKOOqXDnqA

Last edited by Redshadowz; 04-22-2021 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-22-2021, 12:32 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
They do, actually. But you're not going to hear black people openly complain about other black people because they know they're feeding material to white racists.
Or racist people of any race. Just the same, you just mentioned something few people think about. Many Black people won't openly criticize other Black people in front of non-Blacks. I remember talking about Black on Black murder with a Black woman. There happen to be a Hispanic person in the room. The woman I was talking to was basically like "hush". As soon as the Hispanic person left the room, the conversation continued. She mentioned that she agreed with me, but didn't want to discuss it in front of the person in the room at the time. It was the "don't air out dirty laundry" kind of thing.

I have talked about Black on Black crime,, and crime within the Black community, with some non-Black individuals. And with said persons, I could talk to them because we all came to the table with respect. It wasn't a spirit of resentment or arrogance. However, with some people it's difficult to talk about such issues because there is an attitude of arrogance and resentment that comes with it. It's hard to have a conversation with anyone who already looks down on Black people. Talking about crime in the Black community with someone who looks down on Black people, why bother?

Old 04-22-2021, 12:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 672,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
What do you mean by equality? Equal rights? Or equal outcomes?

If you mean equal outcomes, does that apply to everyone across the board? Fully equal outcomes for everyone?

Jews and Asians are wealthier than whites, and Latinos are wealthier than blacks. Will Jews and Asians have to chip in the most to make blacks equal?
If you're going so far as talking about reparations for slavery then yes, Jews would have to chip in. According to the 1860 US Census, 26% of Slave owners were ethnic Jews (despite being 1% of the total US population at the time).

Where it gets really interesting (same census) is that 68% of slave owners were either black or mulatto. How do we determine which descendants chip in/ get nothing and which might be entitled (if reparations were to be such a thing)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies