Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2021, 05:24 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
I as an Asian never ever for one second in my life want to be 'accepted as a white'. What is the benefit to be a white if I do not stay in an Asian country where people give white foreigners or any foreigners much extra credit and convenience just because they are 'guests'?
Some Asian governments are so desperate for western money they literally pimp out their own women. And somehow the men have it even worse. Quite the sad world.

People want to be white when it is advantageous, and distance themselves when it isn't. Some people are in such a position that they can be white, Hispanic, or whatever else, all at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I have as much of a stake in this country as anyone else.
How much stake is that?

Quote:
I like to say its made me more understanding that everyone is from a different place... tolerant.. not fearing people who are unlike myself.
I was more tolerant when it was constantly shoved down my throat, and when I was forced to be around people I didn't really like, but had to be around either in school, work, etc. Then when our paths no longer crossed, I never spoke to them ever again, nor did I want to.

In general, I tend to have a higher opinion of people before I meet them. Once they start talking it all goes downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 08:01 PM

1,958 posts, read 702,684 times
Quote:
When its a dating preference since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I agree it isn't racism. But when you in my situation in which personal views and social pressures are based solely on my race not to the individual but rather another individual (family included), yes it did feel like racism.

I don't think the parents in this case would have denied me if i was "ugly" or not worthy.... I actually could deal with that. It was purely racial pressures. There were other signs from the family that it was purely racial..

A coworker of mine of several years (nice guy by the way) admitted to being a bit racist.... He has always said he has a lot of black friends. But it stops short of dating his daughter. Even he admitted that is the racist side of himself

In both cases, I would cope it to the fact that everyone is a product of their time. Even LBJ, a civil rights figure, was an outright racist. So life goes on... and so did the both of us.

With that said, the point of bringing that up was that whether historically Asians were classified to go to white schools or whatever type of categories they place them in, the individual views of the public is that Asians were not white. White US soldiers after Vietnam war marrying Asians were treated differently. Chinese Exclusionary Act. Internment of Japanese Americans. Even the banning of marijuana in the states was driven primarily by racism grouping Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians (specifically Filipinos) together... even as far as saying that these groups use marijuana use to encourage sexual relations with "white women".

In my opinion, this sentiment goes all the way back to the "one-drop" rule and extended to other races as an extension of Nativist views.
here is the problem, what is racist?? As I said, I don't see what your mentioned are racist. KKK is racist. The white cops in the movie "green book" are racists, but Tony Lip is not racist. Can you tell the difference? BTW, as I mentioned before, Japanese Americans had no one to blame but themselves

P.S. I am sry, I forget to mention that I am an asian.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:15 PM

447 posts, read 322,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Some Asian governments are so desperate for western money they literally pimp out their own women. And somehow the men have it even worse. Quite the sad world.

People want to be white when it is advantageous, and distance themselves when it isn't. Some people are in such a position that they can be white, Hispanic, or whatever else, all at the same time.

Do you mean western investments are not attracted by the market but a group of woman? What is the source? Bloomberg or FT?

If gender could be self-identified in this country then maybe one day race.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:19 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Do you mean western investments are not attracted by the market but a group of woman? What is the source? Bloomberg or FT?

I would guess that the special retirement visas were expats, that many suspect are actually a sexpat invests in a local bank in exchange for residence.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:40 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,433 times
Default Asians americans, do you accept the "people of color" label they fit on you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
As an asian, I found it ridiculous to be labelled as "POC"...who the heck coined this stupid label for asians and others? Was it by some colorless/transparent aliens from the Venus?

I welcome all of you to join me to rip this stupid label and put it to rest before it gets spread in the media.
What does it mean? "POC" Some Asians are white color skin. Some Asians are dark color skin. I think this has got to do with they being outdoors or indoors and their preference to job and life and all. The dark Asians seem to be not aware. But the white ones seem to always be aware.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:10 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
This isn't specific to Asian countries, but it is certainly more obvious there. I was just watching a video yesterday talking about the suicide rate in Thailand, and how Covid was affecting non-traditional jobs which don't qualify for Covid assistance(one of their examples was "street women" who cater to, as Taiko mentions, sexpats).

Let me explain the problem like this. Every country needs technology, but the vast majority of countries cannot produce technology. Not because they are inferior, but because technology is a long process, and other countries are significantly ahead. China for instance has largely caught up by ripping off American intellectual property after inviting foreign companies to move their factories there for the cheap labor. If they had to develop it from scratch, they would be far behind where they are today.

China can get away with it because of the sheer size of its population. Not only did it make foreign countries dependent on its manufacturing, but China will eventually have the single largest market in the world.

For the smaller Asian countries, especially those which are further behind, in order to buy foreign technology, computers, cars, weapons, medicines, whatever, they need some way to bring foreign currency in. In much of the third-world, this is mostly through selling natural resources to industrial countries.

When Saudi Arabia sells its oil, it buys American and European cars, trucks, cell phones, tractors, weapons, everything. They also use a significant portion of that money investing in real-estate in foreign countries, especially neighboring countries, America, and Europe. Much of the most expensive real-estate in the United States is owned by foreigners.

Now imagine being a small island country in Asia or the Caribbean. There is no way you'll ever have an industrial/manufacturing economy because you neither have the size or the resources. So how do you bring in money to buy foreign cars, computers, medicines, etc? The only thing you can do, tourism.

In small, warm countries the local economies are almost wholly dependent on tourism. Which is where rich foreigners come to your country to "have a good time". And let me just tell you, I used to work at a hotel, when people come in from out-of-state/out-of-country, it's like that saying "What happens in Vegas". Everyone immediately heads to bars/clubs looking for women. And if they can't find them, they sometimes resort to a call girl/prostitute.

These governments are often so desperate for funds, they either turn a blind eye to the exploitation of women, or they actively sanction it, support it, even regulate and tax it. In the Philippines they take it a step further, the government directly rents out their women to foreign countries as house servants, and requires a portion of their income to be sent back to the Philippines as remittances. Which alone constitutes almost 10% of the GDP of the Philippines.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Phil...-defying-COVID

Back in the day it was "mail-order brides", but with China's rise, there are far fewer Asian women desperate to come to "The West" for their white sugar-daddy. Much of the gap has instead been filled by Eastern Europe and Latin-America.

Quote:
If gender could be self-identified in this country then maybe one day race.
Eventually race will cease to exist because the world will be completely mixed. My personal prediction based on population growth, demographic shift, and geography. Is an eventual mix which is about 30% black, 40% South and East Asian, 20% Middle-Eastern and North African, most of the rest European, with maybe 1-2% Native-American(average Hispanic is like 2/3rds European).

I can't wait for that glorious utopia.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 05-01-2021 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-02-2021, 01:29 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
What does it mean? "POC" Some Asians are white color skin. Some Asians are dark color skin. I think this has got to do with they being outdoors or indoors and their preference to job and life and all. The dark Asians seem to be not aware. But the white ones seem to always be aware.
Dark Asians seem not to be aware of what?

Job preference? Are you serious?

Old 05-02-2021, 03:35 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Dark Asians seem not to be aware of what?

Job preference? Are you serious?
The Asians I know absolutely are aware of skin tone. Walk down the skin care aisle in a US store. How many products are there for skin whitening? LOL walk down the aisle in an Asian supermarket. Its damned hard to find a product that doesn't claim to whiten skin. In Asia darker skin means laborer, or field worker. Lower cast.

Moving on. I am married to an asian and have 2 half asian daughters. My girls grew up in the states and have no issue with darker skin. They also dont like to be labeled people of color. Call them Asian and they are fine with that, they dont like to lumped in with every other race who also have brown skin. Then again dont call them Chinese, Japanese, Korean and most especially don't call them Oriental. They identify as Asian and detest the the woke attempt to lump them in with others just to gain numbers. Asians in fact, have very little in common with Blacks, hispanics, Middle eastern people or people from Norway. Just saying.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:59 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The Asians I know absolutely are aware of skin tone. Walk down the skin care aisle in a US store. How many products are there for skin whitening? LOL walk down the aisle in an Asian supermarket. Its damned hard to find a product that doesn't claim to whiten skin. In Asia darker skin means laborer, or field worker. Lower cast.

Moving on. I am married to an asian and have 2 half asian daughters. My girls grew up in the states and have no issue with darker skin. They also dont like to be labeled people of color. Call them Asian and they are fine with that, they dont like to lumped in with every other race who also have brown skin. Then again dont call them Chinese, Japanese, Korean and most especially don't call them Oriental. They identify as Asian and detest the the woke attempt to lump them in with others just to gain numbers. Asians in fact, have very little in common with Blacks, hispanics, Middle eastern people or people from Norway. Just saying.

"Asian" itself is a group term that those living in Asia (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Filipinos, et cetera) don't care for, either, except in the instances when claiming that intersectionality is a social benefit.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:32 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
here is the problem, what is racist?? As I said, I don't see what your mentioned are racist. KKK is racist. The white cops in the movie "green book" are racists, but Tony Lip is not racist. Can you tell the difference? BTW, as I mentioned before, Japanese Americans had no one to blame but themselves

P.S. I am sry, I forget to mention that I am an asian.
If I had a daughter and I said that boy isn't good enough for you because of the color of his skin or his race, that view is rooted in racism. The idea that a father is more concerned about having "mixed grandchildren" over his daughter's happiness and choice in life is a view rooted in racism. The fact that when I visited my girl friends home and I was always served in a red solo disposable cup while everyone else had glasses... that is a behavior rooted in racism. It may have been toned down for the sake of moving towards somewhat tolerance... but watered down racism is still racism. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to "go home".

I was born and raised in the US. I don't speak my native language nor was I raised within the context of my ancestral culture. I'm just as American as anyone else. The only difference between myself and the boy next door is that I have Asian blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies