Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 09:55 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm jet black and I've been a similar situation to your brother several times. I've dated asian women who had parents who didn't care for me. And just about any foreign family usuall don't want their daughters marrying a black American man. It's just a bias most people have. Pretty sure the images they get of us overseas leads into this perception.

Anyway in every case, once they realized I do well. Make decent money, and generally a nice guy. Their parents usually fall in love with me right away. My current girlfriend who mother is Indian and comes from the carribeans, definitely wanted nothing to do with black Americans. Her mother also worked with the FDNY for 30 years doing calls in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and other places with bad neighborhoods. So she felt that black American men were not good to be around.

It was even so bad her mother refused to even speak with me on the phone. Once her mother got a chance to meet me. I get morning text from her almost every morning. And I'm her favorite person. Even let me stay at her place a few days while I was in NYC for a few days. Absolutely refuses to let me get a hotel room.

I've worked in environments with straight up southern rednecks in boondocks GA. And found ways to make friends or at least be on good terms with all of them.

I think racial issues are mostly about perception. Once someone sees something that changes that perception, 90% of people don't continue with their racial ideas. It's especially true among foreign populations.

The only group that would be racist no matter what you do are race realist.
Totally agree with you. i liked the word you used here, "bias"

Here is the interesting part, my brother-in-law who married my sister is the first black man in our family. We already fell in love with him before even met him because my sister said so many nice things about him. My parents believe he could "take care of your sister" and he is a "very nice young man who is financially comfortable." My two brothers and I just think he is a very nice man who makes my sister very happy, that is all we wanted.

The only person who has problems with this is one aunt who lives in Germany. She doesn't like it because my sister makes everything too complicated. She is a very nice lady who loves us, she just worries too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 06:13 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
You're old enough to know this then. I've never understood your objections. You should understand the irony of "people of color". There was no POC concept back then.

Black Texans never shared any space with "Spanish people" until after integration. In all circumstances, they went to white public places, they went to white schools, they sat on the front of the bus - when they went to jail, they went to white jail. They were never in the same boat. Nobody ever thought about Spanish people - they were just somebody that was white.

Now fast forward today, and we're "all people of color"? There wasn't a colored Mexican in Texas. Suddenly they have become "colored". Why?
What, you think I should be upset that other minority groups are revealing that they've been discriminated against as well? I've always known they were. And you've already been shown and told that they were, but you're going to just keep flogging your own falsehood anyway.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:24 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Asian americans, do you accept the "people of color" label they fit on you??

My wife (from China) thinks it's silly.
And thinks the people doing, are stupid.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,035,175 times
South Asian = people of color
East Asian= not people of color

Old 05-03-2021, 07:57 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
South Asian = people of color
East Asian= not people of color
Interesting. Is your view strictly based on color? Do you consider East Asians non-white?

Old 05-03-2021, 08:05 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBishop View Post
"People of color" is a label for black people or African Americans. (It's technically inaccurate, since black is the absence of color, while white is all of the colors combined).

I've never heard of it used for Asian people - where did you come up with this?
From dozens of recent media outlets? The systemic racists have been trying hard recently to pretend whites aren't a majority any more.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBishop View Post
"People of color" is a label for black people or African Americans. (It's technically inaccurate, since black is the absence of color, while white is all of the colors combined).
No. When we're talking about skin color, we're talking about pigments, not light.

With regard to pigments, black is the presence of all colors, white is the absence of all colors.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:58 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No. When we're talking about skin color, we're talking about pigments, not light.

With regard to pigments, black is the presence of all colors, white is the absence of all colors.
When using the phrase "People of Color", we are talking about color. I'm not sure what you are talking about with pigment, because light reflection is still required to see the color of the pigment. Color is the sensation on the observer's eye as a result of the way an object reflects light. Without light, color doesn't exist. Black is a total absence of light, and therefore a total absence of color.

If you have a green couch in a room without windows, and you suddenly shut off the lights, the color, in this case, green, completely disappears because there is no light reflecting from the couch.

No light, no color. Black is a total absence of light.

Of course, this is a moot point because there are no humans that are "true black" in color. A black hole in space is true black.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 05-03-2021 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
When using the phrase "People of Color", we are talking about color. I'm not sure what you are talking about with pigment, because light reflection is still required to see the color of the pigment. Color is the sensation on the observer's eye as a result of the way an object reflects light. Without light, color doesn't exist. Black is a total absence of light, and therefore a total absence of color.

If you have a green couch in a room without windows, and you suddenly shut off the lights, the color, in this case, green, completely disappears because there is no light reflecting from the couch.

No light, no color. Black is a total absence of light.

Of course, this is a moot point because there are no humans that are "true black" in color. A black hole in space is true black.
Melanin is not light, melanin is pigment.

Have you never mixed paint before?

Old 05-04-2021, 04:21 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Melanin is not light, melanin is pigment.

Have you never mixed paint before?
Melanin. Paint. And everything else on the planet. But without light, and without the different wavelengths in the spectrum of white light, you would never see the paint or the melanin because nothing would be reflecting off of it. It would all just be black. For color to exist, you need light and it’s reflection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies