Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 02:24 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
For an illness with a 99% recovery rate?

If that's your barometer for illnesses that need a vaccine, you need to roll up your sleeves and get about 4 million more vaccines to "protect" you for all those illnesses that have a 99% recovery rate.
And the fact of the matter is, the likelihood of someone dying from Covid is significantly less. I get tired of the "death rate" narrative. You have to actually catch the disease to have a chance of dying of it. Over a 14 month period, the CDC is reporting total deaths at 577,857 (as of today). We have over 328 million people in the United States. Obviously the chance of someone dying of Covid is much less than 1%. And if you're taking minimal precautions, the chances are even less.

With that in mind, I have had at least half the people I know that have gotten the vaccine have responses like my current buddy (a nurse)

Day 1

"I feel like crap. My arm is sore, headache, and my whole body aches"

Day 2

"I am still having body aches and sweating. I called the number and lady said it should subside today"

She is feeling better today.

So my thought is, how many of you that haven't had the vaccine would like to deal with this at least once a year (maybe twice since they're saying a booster is required in 6 months) when the likelihood of dying from this virus is as miniscule as it is? Clearly the vaccine is available for anyone that wants to take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 03:28 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
It also means that 80 million people worldwide should be dead right now.

How close are we to that number, considering this has been ongoing since December 2019?

3.2 million. Out of 8 billion people.

Should 10s of millions more be dead?
Hah no it doesn't, the mortality rate of a disease is among people who have caught the disease. You generate a non-stop chain of hilarious responses that indicate a very fundamental misunderstanding of that which you post so much about.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Measles and typhoid both have much higher rate of spread, and much more dangerous to a much broader population-- not only higher death rate overall, but much higher death rate even for children and healthy people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measle...0%20will%20die.
Quote:
Most people survive measles, though in some cases, complications may occur. About 1 in 4 individuals will be hospitalized and 1–2 in 1000 will die.
Measles has a mortality rate of 0.1% to 0.2%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoid_fever
Quote:
Treatment of the disease with antibiotics reduces the case-fatality rate to about 1%.
Typhoid has a mortality rate of 1%.

Both of those are lower than USA covid mortality rate of 1.8%. Congratulations you have now run the anti-vaxx misinformation campaign on both sides, you have attempted to discredit the effectiveness of very good vaccines and tried to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic, all with dishonest posting. You should feel ashamed.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:47 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Hah no it doesn't, the mortality rate of a disease is among people who have caught the disease. You generate a non-stop chain of hilarious responses that indicate a very fundamental misunderstanding of that which you post so much about.
Pretty much the majority is asymptomatic.

So yeah ... we've been exposed.

You do understand you can be exposed and your own personal immune system fights it, right?

Good grief.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:50 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
So my thought is, how many of you that haven't had the vaccine would like to deal with this at least once a year (maybe twice since they're saying a booster is required in 6 months) when the likelihood of dying from this virus is as miniscule as it is? Clearly the vaccine is available for anyone that wants to take it.
It just doesn't make any sense to me. And then add on we don't know the long term effects... seems that the benefits do not outweigh the negative factors for anyone who is under 60 and looking at it with logic and reason.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Pretty much the majority is asymptomatic.

So yeah ... we've been exposed.

You do understand you can be exposed and your own personal immune system fights it, right?

Good grief.
No, one cannot conclude from the existence of asymptomatic cases that "we've" been exposed, that is yet another link in the endless chain of false assumptions by you. USA has a mortality rate of about 1.8%, which classifies it as a very serious disease despite your attempts to downplay it.

The anti-vaxxer playbook:
1. This pandemic that has killed 570k Americans in a year is not serious.
2. These vaccines with very high efficacy don't work
3. These vaccines with very good safety record aren't safe

All of these are demonstrably false.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:59 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
No, one cannot conclude from the existence of asymptomatic cases that "we've" been exposed, that is yet another link in the endless chain of false assumptions by you. USA has a mortality rate of about 1.8%, which classifies it as a very serious disease despite your attempts to downplay it.

The anti-vaxxer playbook:
1. This pandemic that has killed 570k Americans in a year is not serious.
2. These vaccines with very high efficacy don't work
3. These vaccines with very good safety record aren't safe

All of these are demonstrably false.
Nice straw man's all around. Congrats. Perhaps practice what you preach?

Old 05-08-2021, 05:10 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
And it appears now the vaccine will not work for those who are immunosuppressed.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti...vaccines/91631

Old 05-08-2021, 05:22 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,394 times
Quote:
And the fact of the matter is, the likelihood of someone dying from Covid is significantly less. I get tired of the "death rate" narrative. You have to actually catch the disease to have a chance of dying of it. Over a 14 month period, the CDC is reporting total deaths at 577,857 (as of today). We have over 328 million people in the United States. Obviously the chance of someone dying of Covid is much less than 1%. And if you're taking minimal precautions, the chances are even less.

With that in mind, I have had at least half the people I know that have gotten the vaccine have responses like my current buddy (a nurse)

Day 1

"I feel like crap. My arm is sore, headache, and my whole body aches"

Day 2

"I am still having body aches and sweating. I called the number and lady said it should subside today"

She is feeling better today.

This is a great comment, all of it. Really shows how subtle and difficult this topic, and you've done great reasoning to really think lot of things through. Agree it doesn't make any sense for low risk people to take it, and even for those like us at higher risk, it's not an easy decision and things like timing are factor due to like you say, even the vaccine makers are admitting your immunity falls off fast and we'd probably soon need boosters anyway for.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Nice straw man's all around. Congrats. Perhaps practice what you preach?
If you'd like I can provide examples of all, in fact I can provide all three from someone posting in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies