Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 12:48 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
What I find amazing is that you believe that there are scores of people who:

desperately want to vote,
don't have the required form of ID, and
can't get the required form of ID

Maybe years ago when all this started, but it has been YEARS.
Dear Heart:

I was the Election Official for my city. I think I know better than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 12:49 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,098,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Dear Heart:

I was the Election Official for my city. I think I know better than you.
And yet you didn't know that Utah has one of the most lenient voter id laws in the country?

Old 05-31-2021, 12:51 PM
mlb

Quote:
And yet you didn't know that Utah has one of the most lenient voter id laws in the country?
What are your qualifications?

Mine are pretty damn solid.

I’ve been in the trenches as a poll worker.

You?

Go blow your smoke somewhere else.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
What are your qualifications?
I don't need qualifications to review a 50-state survey of voter ID laws.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:00 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Quote:
What I find amazing is that you believe that there are scores of people who:

desperately want to vote,
don't have the required form of ID, and
can't get the required form of ID

Maybe years ago when all this started, but it has been YEARS.
College IDs were an acceptable form if ID to vote until the Florida GOP just outlawed them in 2021. Why just outlaw College ID when there weren't any problems using College ID before? Students had the College ID with them all the time, it's convenient and secure. The GOP wants to reduce the number of college students which vote so suddenly College ID isn't allowed, after being allowed for a long time. This has been allowed for YEARS.

Some people aren't "desperate" to vote but they will vote if it's easy or safe and they don't have to take time off work or school. If it requires taking a bus off campus and a 2 hour round trip, some college students won't vote. If a student has to ride their bike off campus and cross an 8 lane highway on their bike and risk their life, they might not vote (but they would vote if the polling location was on-campus).

The barriers placed by the GOP became too great for some people, as some people don't want to risk losing a job are get a lower grade in school (by taking time off) just to cast a vote. The GOP knows this and that's why they removed voting sites from college campuses. Not because of Fraud. Rather, they want to reduce the number of college students which cast votes because college students favor Dem candidates.

Yes, some college students have a car or vote by mail. But there will be a certain percentage that don't vote because they cannot use the College ID and that's the only form of ID they have on their person. Or they might not vote because the polling location was moved off campus and the student doesn't have a car and isn't willing to risk their life crossing an 8 lane busy highway on foot to vote.

In close states, reducing Dem votes by 10,000 or 3,000 is enough to flip some elections. Why do you think the Republicans want to outlaw the 24 hour early voting site in Houston? Because some Houston voters vote at night because they work odd hours. And having a 24 hr polling site helps increase turnout. Because it's in Houston, it's more likely to have Dem leaning voters. So the Texas legislature sharpened their pencil and is outlawing 24 hour early voting locations in the state. Houston is the only site in the state which has one. Perhaps the GOP gets 1000 fewer Dem voters on that new law alone. Reduce Dem votes by 20,000 voters via forcing Sunday early voting sites to open no earlier than 1PM. Slice off Dem voters here and there and Rs could flip some elections.

We all know what the Rs are doing. College Id was allowed for a long time and now it's not and the sole reason is because college students favor Dems.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:01 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Why don't Democrats care that Americans overwhelmingly support voter ID laws?
Perhaps, because voting is a constitutional right and it doesn't matter what the will of the majority is?

There is always an assumption that getting an ID is an easy thing to do. Its not.

I've told this story before. I will tell it again. My daughter needed a driver's license which would be official ID in my state--good enough to register to vote. Unfortunately, we misplaced her social security card. We could not obtain a driver's license without that. I spent the next six weeks battling with the Social Security Administration to get a duplicate social security card for her. The card finally arrived. We had to make an appointment to go to the DMV to get a driver's license issued. As I recall, it took another two weeks to get that appointment. The license was not issued on the spot. It was mailed to us about a week later. My point is simply this. I have a functioning automobile. I was willing to make time to get these things done. Yet, it still took us about nine weeks to get a driver's license which would have enabled my daughter to register to vote when she turned eighteen. We still had to go through the voter registration process as well. All of the poor in the community do not have the resources that I have. I can easily see someone of modest means without an automobile just giving up because its too difficult for them to do all that.

Frankly, I've paid taxes (lots of them) for the last forty working years of my life. Its beyond frustrating to have go through all that BS just have to register to vote because there is some conservative ninny out there who thinks someone who isn't eligible to vote may sneak out from under a rock and somehow cast a ballot. Prosecutions for voter fraud are very infrequent because voter fraud is very infrequent.

What voter ID laws really are are republican candidate protection laws. They guarantee the election of a certain number of republican candidates in elections. Its why republican voters love them so much.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-31-2021 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-31-2021, 01:03 PM
mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Perhaps, because voting is a constitutional right and it doesn't matter what the will of the majority is?

There is always an assumption that getting an ID is an easy thing to do. Its not.

I've told this story before. I will tell it again. My daughter needed a driver's license which would be official ID in my state--good enough to register to vote. Unfortunately, we misplaced her social security card. We could not obtain a driver's license without that. I spent the next six weeks battling with the Social Security Administration to get a duplicate social security card for her. The card finally arrived. We had to make an appointment to go to the DMV to get a driver's license issued. As I recall, it took another two weeks to get that appointment. The license was not issued on the spot. It was mailed to us about a week later. My point is simply this. I have a functioning automobile. I was willing to make time to get these things done. Yet, it still took us about nine weeks to get a driver's license which would have enabled my daughter to register to vote when she turned eighteen. We still had to go through the voter registration process as well. All of the poor in the community do not have the resources that I have. I can easily see someone of modest means without an automobile just giving up because its too difficult for them to do all that.

Frankly, I've paid taxes (lots of them) for the last forty working years of my life. Its beyond frustrating to have go through all that BS just have to register to vote because there is some conservative ninny out there who thinks someone who isn't eligible to vote my sneak out from under a rock and somehow cast a ballot. Prosecutions for voter fraud are very infrequent because voter fraud is very infrequent.

What voter ID laws really are are republican candidate protection laws. They guarantee the election of a certain number of republican candidates in elections. Its why republican voter love them so much.
Thank you for this.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Frankly, I've paid taxes (lots of them) for the last forty working years of my life. Its beyond frustrating to have go through all that BS just have to register to vote because there is some conservative ninny out there who thinks someone who isn't eligible to vote may sneak out from under a rock and somehow cast a ballot. Prosecutions for voter fraud are very infrequent because voter fraud is very infrequent.

What voter ID laws really are are republican candidate protection laws. They guarantee the election of a certain number of republican candidates in elections. Its why republican voters love them so much.
Yes it takes time and effort to get an ID.

Voter ID laws or the threat thereof have been around for ages. Depending on the state, anywhere from 7 to 20 years now. Plenty of time to get in compliance.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 827,453 times
Quote:
People use the passport as ID to vote.
I'm guessing that people need other forms of ID to get a passport, I know I did. Just a hunch but those other forms of ID just might be good enough to vote as well.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:42 PM
mlb

I’ve seen lots of passports used as ID.

Mostly by older folks who no longer have a driver’s license - because they don’t drive.

You don’t need a driver’s license to renew a passport in good standing. Just a check and the form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies