Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2021, 07:53 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
They complain about the aspect of having to purchase COBRA to bridge their loss of employment insurance to then get forced into a whole new set of costly limitations.

ALL of them cannot wait to gain full eligibility to Medicare but are still fraught with the choices they must make and the costs of those choices. Sitting in a foursome carload comprised of three Americans all discussing the cost of a bridging insurance to then segue to what optional add-on part B, C, D, E, F, or G, and it's costs to best service their's and their S/O's particular healthcare requirements is most illuminating.

It's also very telling when every single one of them, being fully aware from visiting Canada on many occasions, bring an end to the conversation with the oft repeated: "of course you don't have to worry about any of this crap"!
Why did they retire if they knew doing so would cause them to lose their employer-provided/sponsored insurance (which as I've already noted, is a problem created by US left-wing hero FDR's damaging economic policies)? Sounds like poor planning to me.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:55 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
If Americans retire before the age of 65 they need to plan and prepare for out of pocket health insurance to cover their gap years until age 65. Anybody can go to the ACA healthcare exchange and buy a policy that is totally independent of their employment (or lack of). If they retire before 65 without being able to afford a gap plan it’s financial stupidity on their part, not due to a bad system.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:35 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why did they retire if they knew doing so would cause them to lose their employer-provided/sponsored insurance (which as I've already noted, is a problem created by US left-wing hero FDR's damaging economic policies)? Sounds like poor planning to me.
Because they could! Because their company closed down, moved off shore or a spouse died.

There are many reasons why people retire; some voluntarily - others not so much.

This tendency to categorize whole segments of your population while ignoring them as individuals is somewhat confusing when that 'rugged individuality' is lauded non-stop as universal.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:42 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
If Americans retire before the age of 65 they need to plan and prepare for out of pocket health insurance to cover their gap years until age 65. Anybody can go to the ACA healthcare exchange and buy a policy that is totally independent of their employment (or lack of). If they retire before 65 without being able to afford a gap plan it’s financial stupidity on their part, not due to a bad system.
I guess you just missed the part about them "complaining" while still golfing?

You also might not have considered an early retirement is not always by choice.

You of all people, using sites and polls showing stuff like people complaining about a single aspect of healthcare in another country to indicate inferiority of an entire system, should appreciate the irony.

Systems used by many countries whose citizens on any number of occasions have overwhelmingly endorsed their system, with no desire to emulate a "for profit" system, goes completely ignored in all of these threads.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:09 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
You’re not American ... nobody is forcing you to have a damn thing to do with us and our country. Please do not forget that. You are not American. Say it to yourself a few times. You are not an American.
I pay more taxes in the USA than in Canada. Remember?

Old 06-14-2021, 11:16 AM

17,639 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You people just cannot fathom the topic of the thread and the answers given to rebutt Americans busting on universal or single payer healthcare, most notably Canada's, having nothing whatsoever to do with hating the U.S.

Surely you can see the irrelevance to deflecting to this silly stuff.

How many Americans own property in Canada? How many spend their summers in Canada? How many have used the Canadian healthcare services for decades of their lives, scheduling ALL of their medical for when they could get it for free while visiting their summer properties?

Nobody of foreign extraction responding to this nonsense on these boards has EVER once stated they "hate" America.

Lastly; "toxic politics"??? Coming from an American on THIS forum - you gotta be chitting us!
You can stay in Canada too.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:17 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You can stay in Canada too.
When you have nothing of substance, this is your last resort.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:20 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I pay more taxes in the USA than in Canada. Remember?
You’re not American. Nobody is impressed one whit that you pay property taxes for your foreign-owned property. You are still a Canadian. A visitor. A guest. Not a native; not a citizen.

You are a vacationing snowbird in our country.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:21 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
You’re not American. Nobody is impressed one whit that you pay property taxes for your foreign-owned property. You are still a Canadian. A visitor. A guest. Not a native; not a citizen.

You are a vacationing snowbird in our country.
What does that have anything to do with what they just posted?

Old 06-14-2021, 11:22 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Healthcare is the number one issue our country is facing. You can make a great salary but if your healthcare sucks then that's what your pay check will be going towards. When applying for a job ask what the healthcare benefits are before you ask the salary.
What sucks is the amount charged by the hospitals. I have what I thought was a good policy through work. The premiums are low but there is a $5K deductible each year. I am NEVER sick so I had no idea what providers were billing for simple services.

A few months ago, I starting having stomach pains that were not going away so I went to the Emergency Room at the local hospital. After a few hours laying on a gurny in the hallway in pain I was wheeled into a room for an ultrasound of my belly. It was determined I was having a gallstone attack. I was given some pain meds and sent home. I got an invoice and the amount billed was over $10K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies