Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 04:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

I picked up a prescription there yesterday, and after two weeks of not having to wear a mask ANYWHERE (and also seeing almost everyone in stores and whatnot without masks), I was hit with how virtually everyone in Walmart was wearing a mask.

And in case I have to explain more about the demographics, this is in a very liberal area, and the customers are primarily working class or lower. (Some “middles,” like me, but not too many.) I suspect many of them are illegal aliens, also, since the Walmart neighbors a town that has a very high percentage of them.

Ideas?

Old 06-24-2021, 05:06 AM

30,374 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I picked up a prescription there yesterday, and after two weeks of not having to wear a mask ANYWHERE (and also seeing almost everyone in stores and whatnot without masks), I was hit with how virtually everyone in Walmart was wearing a mask.

And in case I have to explain more about the demographics, this is in a very liberal area, and the customers are primarily working class or lower. (Some “middles,” like me, but not too many.) I suspect many of them are illegal aliens, also, since the Walmart neighbors a town that has a very high percentage of them.

Ideas?
There are a lot of people in Walmart and so it may be a calculation of numbers and time.

Funny story, I'm visiting my son in Seattle area from Phoenix and wasn't wearing my mask in Safeway because there was hardly anyone in the store and when I went to check out, this psycho woman starting shrieking when I got within 15 feet of her at the check out line and glared at me like she was going to kill me....so glad I moved out of Washington.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:11 AM

19,722 posts, read 20,250,128 times
As far as demographics, it's mostly the elderly (65+) people here still wearing the masks.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
As far as demographics, it's mostly the elderly (65+) people here still wearing the masks.
I wonder where that is, because here.....DC area....it’s the opposite. I first noticed the masks dropping off among the older crowd at the grocery store, while the younger ones still wore it. That of course was when the vaccine was still in limited supply and only the 65+ people had gotten it.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Here in South Carolina it's mainly older people wearing masks. Haven't noticed any difference in percentage of mask wearers from Publix to Walmart to Harris Teeter.

Interestingly enough Trader Joe's was the first store I went to about a month ago and I would say very few mask wearers -- and those that were wearing masks were older.

I'm comfortable not wearing my mask and don't worry so much why someone might choose to.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:20 AM

1,081 posts, read 549,116 times
I saw this in the homeless population. When masks were "mandated" here, the homeless made it a point to not wear masks and get into your personal space. Now that masks area no longer required, they have masks and demand you social distance. I chalk it up to a bit of oppositional defiance.

If they are illegals, it could be that a rumor spread of Walmart turning their video camera footage over to "the government."
Or it could be that they are looking for a bit of control in their lives, and wearing a mask when they don't have to gives them the feeling of that.
Or they could be genuinely concerned about their respiratory health.

Get close and ask a couple of them. Maybe they are just following the crowd. Maybe they know something about an outbreak in your area that you don't.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:24 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Why do you care?

Old 06-24-2021, 05:25 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Kids have not been eligible to receive the vaccine and despite disinformation going around, they can still get COVID-19 and get very sick from it. Walmart tends to draw people with young kids coming into the store, so it's either the people with their kids (or grandkids) or the people who are wanting to be extra cautious or just wanting to give just a little reassurance and respect for parents, who don't know who is vaccinated and who isn't, that they aren't a threat to their kids.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:26 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Also -- it could be on that day there were mask wearers ins that Walmart and you noticed it.

Maybe the next day you would go and nobody would be wearing a mask.

As I mentioned -- about a month ago went to Trader Joe's and saw most customers not wearing a mask, then went to Publix and most customers were wearing a mask.

Couple of days later at Publix most customers weren't wearing a mask.

Seems to flucturate.

I see most people wearing a mask now fussing with their masks, wearing them on their chin, not covering their nose...and I wonder why they are bothering.

Happy to see people still social distancing. As it should be. No reason for you to be in my personal space EVER.....

Old 06-24-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Why do you care?
I am a naturally inquisitive person. Don’t you find it interesting that masks are off all over the area, except for Walmart?

As far as the poster who suggested I could just ask why they are wearing masks, in this society, I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut. Haven’t “mask” assaults broken out at Walmart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies