Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2021, 09:56 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, tell me.

Are there statues of him depicting him in other ways, besides a Confederate General?
The last I checked, his service as a Confederate general is what he is best known for. He swore to protect the U.S. and its Constitution when he graduated from West Point. He chose the Confederacy, regardless of why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 09:56 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,963,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am not in favor of tearing down the statues of GW or TJ. I'm still going to be in favor of tearing down/removing ALL Confederate monuments. Telling me that some people will go after GW or TJ isn't enough to change my stance on Confederate monuments.

By the way, alot of Black people have viewed Confederate monuments negatively for a long time. Many people just didn't care what alot of Blacks had to say.
Great. We've already established that you're in favor of memorializing certain slave owners, but not others.

Got it.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:58 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Great. We've already established that you're in favor of memorializing certain slave owners, but not others.

Got it.
He’s not targeting slave owners. He’s targeting traitors to the constitution.

Big difference. Stop being a child.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
So based on some of these comments they only hate certain slave owners. As long as they weren’t confederate and the media isn’t asking for the removal of G.W. or other slave owners their monuments can stay. Unless you’re Antifa or BLM where anything white needs to go.

Cool. Washington is more a acceptable than the Dukes of Hazard.
Believe it or not, George Washington is more acceptable than any Confederates. Yes, Washington was a slave owner. However, that is not why he has statues in his honor. He has statues in his honor because he was America's first President. He fought for the Patriots' cause in the Revolutionary War. He wasn't fighting against Britain for the purpose of keeping slavery. What he fought for is different than what Lee, Davis, and Forrest were fighting for. The Founding Fathers happen to own slaves. The Confederates were fighting EXPLICITLY TO MAKE SURE SLAVERY WOULD BE PRESERVED. The Founding Fathers accepted that slavery would eventually go away didn't fight to maintain it. The Confederates could not accepted the end of slavery and fought to war explicitly to make sure slavery stayed intact.

And I've never seen an episode of Dukes of Hazzard.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:03 AM

8,337 posts, read 2,962,210 times
Quote:
Not on public property with public funds.
Bologna. They paint BLM on public streets approved by local government and paid by taxpayers.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:04 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
So based on some of these comments they only hate certain slave owners.
The Confederacy was founded to stop progression towards freedom. The US was founded to further progression towards freedom. One is honorable, one isn't. I'll leave the determination as to which is which as an exercise for the reader.

Quote:
Washington is more a acceptable than the Dukes of Hazard.
Is there any comparison imaginable in which Washington doesn't trump some trite television show?

Old 07-08-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post

Got it.
No. I've established that there is a difference between what George Washington fought for vs what the Confederates fought for. I established that the Confederacy was only established for the explicit purpose of preserving the institution of slavery. That was not the USA's reason for being established. There is a big difference between the two, and failing to realize and accept this is petulance and nonsense.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:07 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm glad his statue was torn down. The massacre at Fort Pillow should be proof of what the Confederate cause was about. When the Union started using Black soldiers, this outraged some Southerners.
https://www.britannica.com/event/Fort-Pillow-Massacre

Forrest did what he did because of his own disdain for the Union using Black soldiers. He also admitted that the fight was about slavery. He was all about the Confederate cause. During the Civil War, Black soldiers captured by the Confederacy were not treated as prisoners of war. They were treated far worse than White prisoners of war. They could either be taken into slavery, or put to death, such as what happened at Fort Pillow.

https://www.archives.gov/education/l...acks-civil-war
interestingly, I read both your Brittanica account and the wiki page. I note this from the Brittanica:

Quote:
Although the committee interviewed numerous witnesses and compiled a detailed case that included much valuable testimony, the biases of Wade and Gooch led to a propagandist slant. Like most Radical Republicans, Wade and Gooch advocated for tougher wartime policies toward the South. Further sensationalizing what was already a brutal episode would bring validity to their desired policies. Despite the propagandistic nature of the report, it permeated Northern public opinion.
and since the lede of the entry is this:
Quote:
Fort Pillow Massacre, Confederate slaughter of African American Federal troops stationed at Fort Pillow, Tennessee, on April 12, 1864, during the American Civil War. The action stemmed from Southern outrage at the North’s use of Black soldiers. From the beginning of hostilities, the Confederate leadership was faced with the question of whether to treat Black soldiers captured in battle as slaves in insurrection or, as the Union insisted, as prisoners of war.
then I can only conclude that Brittanica provided a propagandist slant as well.

The Bedford forces didn't go to Ft Pillow because they knew there were Black Union soldiers there, which the lede implies.

Did they kill as many of the Union soldiers as they possibly could? Absolutely.

Is it possible that some many of them were Blacks because the white Union soldiers abandoned them, maybe even ordered them to stay and fight? Who knows.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:09 AM

8,337 posts, read 2,962,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
He’s not targeting slave owners. He’s targeting traitors to the constitution.

Big difference. Stop being a child.
Really? All I’ve heard is the confederacy wanted to continue slavery and that’s why their monuments need to go. You’re not sticking with the game plan. You need to talk to Green Mariner.

So you’re good with non-confederate slave owners. Point taken.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Not on public property with public funds.
Thank you.

If a person wants a Confederate flag or Confederate statue on their own private property, that is there choice. I won't have any respect for said persons. However, that is their choice.

Confederate statues and Confederate flags do not belong in public spaces. They should never be funded with public money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies