Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2021, 11:02 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,317,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I have to admit, the statues of Rommel made me feel a bit weird when I visited Germany. Oh, wait. There aren't any. Because the Germans aren't idiots and they know the differences between remembering past misdeeds and honoring the perpetrators.

The "muh heritage" crowd hates history being taught. They want to see the plantation, not the slave hovels. They wanted to preserve the statue of "Silent Sam" - heritage! - but it took actual historians to preserve the speech given at the dedication of the statue - a speech with a warm remembrance of the days when you could "horse-whip a negress so her skirts hang in shreds".
and that was the deciding factor for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 11:03 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,033,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
But wait, why does he keep saying "As a black man" then?

Why does everyone in this thread keep bringing up SLAVERY then? Have you not read it????

Is that just my imagination? Stop being a child for pointing out massive inconsistencies in the book burning mindset?
See;

Quote:
So then you're coming out and saying GW needs to be stripped of his statues and prestige in American history? Finally?
Mostly just see you and your ilk trying to turn the conversation from removing statues of traitors to the constitution to all slave owners; because the south was all about slavery. The reliance on whataboutism is intellectually dishonest and lazy. The conversation here is about Confederate statues. You want it to be about all slave owners.

See;

Quote:
What are your thoughts on what lincoln said? That Whites are naturally the superior race? You seem to be turning a blind eye to things that almost everyone said at the time.
Just more whataboutism.

Try sticking to the subject.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:04 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,977,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Do you have anything up your sleeve other than whataboutism?
It's not whataboutism. It's illustrating that you book burners have a flawed premise to begin with.

You can't decide what you're mad about. Is it slavery? If so, you're going to be mad for years because everyone had them.

Is it "the confederacy?" If so, they were fighting for the same things the Founders created and you're not mad at them.

All we're asking for is some logical, rational explanation why you've all of a sudden decided to rage against people from 150 years ago but not others who did the same things.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
See;

Mostly just see you and your ilk trying to turn the conversation from removing statues of traitors to the constitution to all slave owners; because the south was all about slavery. The reliance on whataboutism is intellectually dishonest and lazy. The conversation here is about Confederate statues. You want it to be about all slave owners.
We just want a logical, consistent premise. See post above.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
It's not whataboutism. It's illustrating that you book burners have a flawed premise to begin with.

You can't decide what you're mad about. Is it slavery? If so, you're going to be mad for years because everyone had them.

Is it "the confederacy?" If so, they were fighting for the same things the Founders created and you're not mad at them.

All we're asking for is some logical, rational explanation why you've all of a sudden decided to rage against people from 150 years ago but not others who did the same things.
You don’t want a logical premise because you can’t even follow one.

ALL CONFEDERATES WERE TRAITORS TO THE CONSTITUTION AND DO NOT DESERVE STATUES TO HONOR THEM.

Simple enough for you?

Old 07-08-2021, 11:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,405,319 times
Quote:
HAHA. I'd be willing to be that 95% of your life you gave them zero thought.

Only recently has your TV told you to be outraged by them and only recently have you discovered how "virtuous" you can sound to your friends when you proudly cry "Tear down these statues!"
So is that the determining factor for you? That the basis for if the statues should be removed is the % of time that we have given the issue thought? Is that how decisions should be made in your mind?

From my view once something is reasonably identified as wrong, it should be fixed regardless of what happened yesterday or 5 years ago.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:12 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,317,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's still a majority. You haven't refuted that a majority of Blacks favor removing Confederate generals.

As for why some people would favor removing Washington? My theory is this. Many people view pre-1965 America from a very grim point of view.
I wasn't attempting to refute that a majority favor it. I'm asking why the % isn't higher.

and for the umpteenth time, I favor removal of Confederate general and officials statues from US government locations.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
You don’t want a logical premise because you can’t even follow one.

ALL CONFEDERATES WERE TRAITORS TO THE CONSTITUTION AND DO NOT DESERVE STATUES TO HONOR THEM.

Simple enough for you?
So you don't care about slavery? You're going on record with that, right? You'd better inform the other book burners then.

Your beef is simply that they tried to secede, right?

Old 07-08-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I wasn't attempting to refute that a majority favor it. I'm asking why the % isn't higher.

and for the umpteenth time, I favor removal of Confederate general and officials statues from US government locations.
If I had to guess it’s people don’t know much about it anymore. I don’t remember school focusing much on the civil war.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:14 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times
Quote:
We just want a logical, consistent premise. See post above.
Did the person we're honoring with a statue add or detract from humanity progressing towards freedom?

Washington, for all his flaws: Added.

Lee, for whatever good traits he might have had: Subtracted.

And yes, that's oversimplified, but for this class, I'm about to break out the crayons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies