Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 01:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Politics does not belong in schools. The Equity Alliance, should know better.

It's been awhile since my kids were in school and my daughter home schools the grand kids --- but I remember this test, just not what it's called. I remember it being a very important test to the school. If the kids do well on the test as it's reported to the State, it helps the schools ranking? or something. idk, I'm just wondering if the schools have given any thought as to taking time from the students to learn this CRT, how that will effect that all important test and the scores.

I know it is an important test to the schools, because my daughter was home sick one time on the day this test was to be given, and the school's principal tracked me down at work, to inform me she couldn't miss school that day. It seems her scoring on the test would help the school's average and ranking status, they couldn't afford for her to miss it.

It seems to me that this CRT training may be in conflict to school goals.

The other thing I want to comment on here is something in the article, something Trump said ... "'They should be focused on defeating America's enemies and winning our future wars. Hopefully, we don't have them, but if we do, we have to win them.' "

imo, Americans are board with their lives, Americans need conflict, even if they have to make one up, to get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I agree it doesn't belong in schools, but if you look at their website, I'm not sure The Equity Alliance would know better.

It's been a long stretch of boredom after being locked up but I also think most Americans are complacent. They'll just keep denying anything is going to impact them so it doesn't really matter until it's too late.
Yes, I saw their website and yes they are adults and they should know better.

And then there's this: Critical race theory in the classroom: Understanding the debate

What is critical race theory?

"Academic experts, including Crenshaw, say critical race theory is not what is being taught in K-12 education curriculums."

Unless I've missed my guess, it's not CRT that people are having an issue with, it is a bastardization of the material, that is an issue. For that there are courtrooms, judges, and lawyers, to help sort out the 14th amendment, just as they are/were there to sort out prayers in group functions on school campuses. I'm wondering if there will be a cash payout for psychological damages ... and of course as I mentioned before that all important evaluation test the schools give, if the kids are distracted by this, they will be distracted at the time of the test, and more failings (reading, writing, and arithmetic) means schools will loose their rankings. I suspect something is going to happen that will make this yesterdays news.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 07-29-2021 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 02:15 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
here's the thing, i agree with you about "CRT", the actual "CRT" not being directly about white-washing history. the thing is when some people here and in other places debate "CRT" they just mean they don't want whites looking bad throughout history because it would explain alot of the current black condition in America.
why are we worried about a tiny fraction of the population that is committed to silliness. I mean really? Like people are denying the Tulsa massacre? Those people dont matter. they dont make up even a serious minority.

some insignificant group doesn't change the fact that CRT really intends to balkanize. it speaks to one groups legitimate grievances while utterly offending others... on purpose. period.

This is the thing. it isnt about information. it is about creating distrust and preventing America from moving away from discrimination. period.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:11 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
why are we worried about a tiny fraction of the population that is committed to silliness. I mean really? Like people are denying the Tulsa massacre? Those people dont matter. they dont make up even a serious minority.

some insignificant group doesn't change the fact that CRT really intends to balkanize. it speaks to one groups legitimate grievances while utterly offending others... on purpose. period.

This is the thing. it isnt about information. it is about creating distrust and preventing America from moving away from discrimination. period.
Everyone seems to have an opinion on what CRT is and yet all of those opinions are different to some degree.

No teacher in the country is going to change the way they teach over this, whether it's a ban on CRT that no one can define, or it's two hour diversity trainings that refer to the White Fragility book.

I'm going to continue to teach the way I always did, but now focus on race and add more sub units on the effects of race than I had before in the hope that somebody challenges me. I post online both the videos and the bibliography for my classes. I will be GLAD to go to the mat of the primary sources. My God if they put me on trial for teaching about race I will love it so much; I will throw the whole library at them.

Oh, am I teaching that white people are largely racist, created institutions that generally work for, by, and of whit leople, mostly white men, to the exclusion of others? And America's ideals are a sham at worst and a idealistic fairy tale at best?

That's not my idea.

That's what Tecumseh said, that's what William Lloyd Garrison said, that's what Frederick Douglas said, that's what Sojourner Truth said, that's what Alice Paul said, that's what W.E.B. DuBois said, that's what Paul Robeson said, that's what Russell Means said, that's what Stokely Carmichael said, that's what James Baldwin said, that's what Malcolm X said, that's what Muhammad Ali said, that's what Betty Fiedan said, that's what Jesse Jackson said, and so on and so forth. That tradition of dissent continues to this day with figures like Ta Nehisi Coates, Michelle Alexander, or Colin Kaepernick.

Muhammad Ali asked in 1971 "How come everything is white?" Almost as if he was pointing out systemic racism, eh? https://twitter.com/i/status/1270385415380283392

The hell with all of these attempts at McCarthyist censorship. I am going to continue to quote those historical figures DIRECTLY. Now I'm just inspired to dig up a lot more. I hope to God someone puts me on trial for making some white kid feel bad from making direct quotes and having them read original sources.

And indeed, I've had some studemts who cried when they discovered what their country did, which came from their own study, mot from anything I said. What's usially the worst for them is not the bad events or actions... every country has those. It's how much Americans try to lie about them, dismiss it, cover it up, ignore it, or deflect with a whatabout.

Please, put me on trial for that.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-29-2021 at 11:57 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 08:13 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Everyone seems to have an opinion on what CRT is and yet all of those opinions are different to some degree.

No teacher in the country is going to change the way they teach over this, whether it's a ban on CRT that no one can define, or it's two hour diversity trainings that refer to the White Fragility book.

I'm going to continue to teach the way I always did, but now focus on race and add more sub units on the effects of race than I had before in the hope that somebody challenges me. I post online both the videos and the bibliography for my classes. I will be GLAD to go to the mat of the primary sources. My God if they put me on trial for teaching about race I will love it so much; I will throw the whole library at them.

Oh, am I teaching that white people are largely racist, created institutions that generally work for, by, and of whit leople, mostly white men, to the exclusion of others? And America's ideals are a sham at worst and a idealistic fairy tale at best?

That's not my idea.

That's what Tecumseh said, that's what William Lloyd Garrison said, that's what Frederick Douglas said, that's what Sojourner Truth said, that's what Alice Paul said, that's what W.E.B. DuBois said, that's what Paul Robeson said, that's what Russell Means said, that's what Stokely Carmichael said, that's what James Baldwin said, that's what Malcolm X said, that's what Muhammad Ali said, that's what Betty Fiedan said, that's what Jesse Jackson said, and so on and so forth. That tradition of dissent continues to this day with figures like Ta Nehisi Coates, Michelle Alexander, or Colin Kaepernick.

Muhammad Ali asked in 1971 "How come everything is white?" Almost as if he was pointing out systemic racism, eh? https://twitter.com/i/status/1270385415380283392

The hell with all of these attempts at McCarthyist censorship. I am going to continue to quote those historical figures DIRECTLY. Now I'm just inspired to dig up a lot more. I hope to God someone puts me on trial for making some white kid feel bad from making direct quotes and having them read original sources.

And indeed, I've had some studemts who cried when they discovered what their country did, which came from their own study, mot from anything I said. What's usially the worst for them is not the bad events or actions... every country has those. It's how much Americans try to lie about them, dismiss it, cover it up, ignore it, or deflect with a whatabout.

You may want to throw a lawyer at the courts, not a library ... just saying.
Quote:

Parents are 'suing their kids' schools' over the issue of critical race theory

PS: you may or may not know this but school prayer (1963) was brought before the Supreme Court, because of one Jewish child, who was sat outside the classroom during prayer time, alienating him from his classmates. All it took was one child. The 14th amendment is the law that governs the 1st amendment.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 07-30-2021 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: added ps

Old 07-30-2021, 08:44 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times
Quote:

You're a terrible teacher, and that's pretty racist. Congratulations.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
You're a terrible teacher, and that's pretty racist. Congratulations.
Oh really? Quoting from the past directly is racist eh?

Old 07-30-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You may want to throw a lawyer at the courts, not a library ... just saying.

Gladly.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-30-2021 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 03:01 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times
Quote:
Oh really? Quoting from the past directly is racist eh?
Indoctrinating kids into thinking every white person is the oppressor and anything not white is the oppressed sure as hell is.

Yes, oh really. I don’t have kids but I’d remove them from your class if I did.

Lots of non-white people have fought and died for this country because they love America.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Indoctrinating kids into thinking every white person is the oppressor and anything not white is the oppressed sure as hell is.
That's not what I said, that's what you said. Now you're putting words in my mouth.

Please post where I wrote "every white person is the oppressor and anything not white is the oppressed." If you put that on an exam you would fail, because you can't just make stuff up.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:

That's not my idea.

Crocs too tight? You missed your calling. You shouldn't be teaching history, you should be in drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies