Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 01:01 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
In which case it's unclear what they do ban, if anything.

You know it'll do nothing right? No teacher is gping to change the way they teach based on a ban that bans nothing in particular. If anything they'll focus on race more.

If I were a teacher in one of these states, I'd respond by reorienting my entire courseload around race. I'd film every class and put it on youtube. They've already been doing that because of the pandemic anyway. I would WANT the administration to try and fire me based on these laws, or even better arrest me and put me on trial for breaking the ban. Because then the prosecution would have to define CRT, prove that it's distinct from teaching about race, and prove that it's false or otherwise so damaging that it warrants a restriction of the 1st amendment.
The Iowa law prohibits some things, but it clearly allows the topics of sexism, slavery, racial oppression, racial segregation or racial discrimination, including topics relating to the enactment and enforcement of laws resulting in sexism, racial oppression, segregation, and discrimination.

The constant claim that these so-called ban CRT laws prohibit teaching on those kinds of issues is false.

You could have a problem if you teach what's prohibited, for example that one race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex; or meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist, or were created by a particular race to oppress another race; that the United States of America and the state of Iowa are fundamentally or systemically racist or sexist.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 02:03 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
CRT is about our nation's history.
CRT as taught in today's schools, is about telling racist lies about our nation's history.

"If you're white, then you're an oppressor, and you are guilty of racism!"

Old 07-22-2021, 02:54 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
The problem is teaching our kids that just by virtue of being born white, they are racist.

Let's be honest. NONE of this is about helping blacks. It's about power for white elites and those blacks who are chosen to be in the club, like Kamala.
Please post the direct source of that. I have never seen any discussion of race say that people are born racist, ever. Only in right wing media do I hear that.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:20 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The b-s is coming from you and others who claim opposition to CRT is aimed at erasing the bad stuff white people did in American history.
This is all "CRT" is when people are using nowadays. Yall just use "CRT" because you think you're being intellectual and you can use a fluid/vague definition. But the intentions behind it are clear. This is a massive attempt to rewrite history books. And it's no coincidence that this is happening while reparations talks are slowly picking up steam.

Get mad and pop your neck all you want, but we all know what "CRT" is really about. When slaves in the US are being rewritten as "workers" in textbooks we can all see what the deal is.

And the worst part of these stupid attempts is when yall say stupid stuff like "teaching about race makes black feel inferior". This is not a serious argument. It doesn't even make sense. Does teaching about the holocaust make jewish people feel inferior? Does teaching about 9/11 make new yorkers feel inferior?

Old 07-22-2021, 03:31 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
Quote:
In Oklahoma, Gov. Kevin Stitt signed an ill-conceived, overbroad bill that chills the long-overdue reckoning with the Tulsa Race Massacre — a vicious orgy of racist violence carried out in 1921 against one of the nation’s most affluent African American communities. This new law, passed under a special emergency provision, bans the teaching of “divisive concepts” implying that “an individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex.”
for the people being obtuse here you go. A sitting governor signing a bill that would essentially eliminate any mention of white people doing bad things, because it would "imply that an individual by race bears responsibility for past actions"...meaning lets not teach white people doing bad stuff because it would IMPLY that other white people are bad.

This is CRT in a nutshell. The white-washing of american history so these snowflakes don't have to hear about their granddaddies lynching black people and destroying places like Tulsa. They want a version of history where black people did stuff to themselves.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:36 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
for the people being obtuse here you go. A sitting governor signing a bill that would essentially eliminate any mention of white people doing bad things, because it would "imply that an individual by race bears responsibility for past actions"...meaning lets not teach white people doing bad stuff because it would IMPLY that other white people are bad.

This is CRT in a nutshell. The white-washing of american history so these snowflakes don't have to hear about their granddaddies lynching black people and destroying places like Tulsa. They want a version of history where black people did stuff to themselves.
Where'd you find those false talking points ? The NEA, BLM, NPR, ? Try looking at an actual law instead of regurgetating nonsense you want to believe.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:53 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I have never seen any discussion of race say that people are born racist, ever.
Are white people who are living today responsible for what America did to black people 160 years ago? If not, then there is no clear rationale behind reparations for slavery.

If whites are not born racist, then why should they be held responsible for the condition of blacks?

Old 07-22-2021, 06:09 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Are white people who are living today responsible for what America did to black people 160 years ago? If not, then there is no clear rationale behind reparations for slavery.

If whites are not born racist, then why should they be held responsible for the condition of blacks?
There was no one person or group responsible. The Atlantic World Slavery system was built brick by brick by successive generations. The main foundation of the system was broken but some bricks remained until recently and now some remnants of the structure and the impression of it on the landscape still remain.

The entire society is responsible for any aspect of said society not operating according to its best potential. Arguably we can blame the slaves for not revolting more. The slaves could have made tbe south hell on earth if they wanted to. They would have ultimately lost but would have made enforcing slavery very expensive and maybe made the relevant interests think twice about their labor system. Or we could blame African Americans from 1865 to the late 1940s for letting themselves be intimidated and terrorized by Jim Crow and white supremists, waiting to assertively protest until the 1950s.

If we were doing percentages of who is responsible, the black people themselves have a greater than zero responsibility. The white people, obviously, have a higher percemtage. and have profited more fro the ongoing dividends.

If repararions were to happen, they would be done by the federal government and it would be the the whole society that paid. Although like I said earlier, I think all the former western colonial powers deserve to be part of any payment. The U.S. was not solely reaponsible for slavery, it was a global system.

The U.S. was however, very responsible for what happened and DID NOT happen, AFTER it abolished slavery. It made blacks citizens but did not make them equal citizens.

We had this same argument during the Reconstruction period. It was never resolved. The best time to do reparations would have been then. Just like now, the majority of white people at the time said "I'm not responsible, I didn't own slaves, why should I pay?" The best suggestion was to divide the land owned by traitorous slaveholders into plots and give them to the freedpeople, the same thing essentially that was done for white people in the western homestead program. But that proposal was defeated.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-22-2021 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 07:51 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Ddm_Yp7oU

Black Father Tears Into School Board Over Critical Race Theory

Old 07-22-2021, 09:51 PM

608 posts, read 239,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post

This one is worth the hit.

No, you stupid moron! All we want is to not be labeled racist just because we were born and exist, or be called responsible for the entire trans-atlantic slave trade because we share the same melanin percentage as the people that perpetrated slavery, before many of our predecessors even walked onto Ellis Island. That's it.

Yea, America has a very ugly history filled with lots of mistakes but, Critical Race Theory is based almost entirely on the principle that any White person that exists today is innately racist and responsible for all racism, even racism that occured before we were born. It is a stupid idea promoted by stupid people (regardless of race)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies