Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 06:05 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,255,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Teaching people to be able to listen to a fact, and not instantly feel like a victim would be good too. I don't think it's the school's job to teach people how to listen to diverse opinions, and take them constructively.

I think a lot of this is a product of the Mellinial mindset. I know this is CRT, but imagine if your boss said that "performance is down, and we need to take action". Are you raising your kids to think that is something they should throw a tantrum about, and quit their job?

Righties always try to blame "the woke left" on things, but this is an example where ALL PEOPLE need to learn how to hear the truth, and not be an emotional wreck, but rather respond with ways to make things better.

The "woke" left is the problem. Conservatives are just pointing that out.

Quote:

What the hell ever happened to so-called "conservatives". They have become the real snowflakes.

"I heard a history lesson and now I feel ashamed" Really? School isn't teaching that.
A generation of bad parenting and manipulative narccissists is teaching that. (EG: Parents)
[/quote]

And you know that how? Why then do so many kids come out of school feeling that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 06:45 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Hu found his second political (and Marxist) mentor:

Quote:
I already had an emotional sympathy for the Communists. I now began to read about the materialist interpretation of history, the history of the development of society, and Ai Ssu-chYs popular philosophy.1 When I had difficulty understanding some of these principles I went to this history teacher for help. He was always friendly and patient, and seemed to answer my questions logically. I acquired the theoretical background to go along with my emotional sympathy… From that time on I developed the idea in my mind that Communism was the inevitable outcome of history… It seemed to be the only way out for young people.
He emphasized the importance of his resentment of the old regime in bringing about this new view of the world.

Quote:
My main feeling then was hatred for the KMT, All that I had seen and experienced was wrong. This hatred was the active side of my being; my feeling for Communism was a more passive side. Before I could understand the true meaning of their writing I accepted them because I was predisposed to do so. . . . I was at first excited by their solution to China's problems. Then I had more of the feeling that it was all settled: the KMT was out of the question, of no use, and Communism was the right way
https://ia902504.us.archive.org/8/it...f_Totalism.pdf

Old 07-21-2021, 06:48 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
CRT is about our nation's history.

I thought those on the right were big on preserving history.

No?

Right, nobody in this country was aware that slavery even existed, at least not until now thanks to purveyors of Critical Race Theory.

Next you'll be telling us about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If you look at CRT as a media phenomenon, it fits very nicely into various right wing tropes that have been going on for a while. As I said, very similar to the various grievances and bugbears that fit into what used to be called "political correctness." It used to be gender issues and feminism back when sexism was a bigger concern of the left back in 2016 continuing through the MeToo movement. But now that had declined and the left is interested in race issues. Rufo just got the ball rolling in a somewhat more organized way. Somebody had to start it. CRT as an academic concept has been around over 40 years.... and just NOW it is an issue? That was clever marketing and he hit a nerve.

I see the whole things a pop culture reaction on the right in answer to the success of anti-racism books in pop culture in 2020 as a reaction to Floyd. Most notably - Robin DiAngelo's "White Fragility" and Kendi's "How to Be an Anti-Racist." Yeah, there's some CRT in that stuff. Moreso in DiAngelo, she's more of huckster, while she also comes from academia it's somewhat more fringe for her. Before her book she made her career in corporate trainings as a "consultant."

Kendi is more of a legitimate academic and has risen up its ranks; it just so happened that his research and publishing was on the stuff that people all of a sudden got excited about in 2020.

So what IS the whole thing about? That's the part I don't get.

It's okay to discuss past racism. Got it. It's okay to discuss current racism in terms of sociology. Got it. So it sounds like educating people about racism is not the problem.

So I'm confused WHAT is the problem, precisely?

Divide and conquer at an earlier age.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
That's not CRT...
Is this where we redefine terms by narrowing the definitions, only to later expand them in order to encompass anything and everything?

Like "racism?"

Old 07-21-2021, 07:00 AM

"Critical Race Theory is only being taught in institutions of higher learning!!"

Also........

"Why don't you want kids to learn about the history of this country?"

They're gaslighting you.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This makes zero sense, purging confederate statues while the founding fathers, who owned 600+ slaves, stand tall on Mount Rushmore is the very definition of liberal cherry-picking and whitewashing.

Democrats can’t whitewash all of American history, so they resort to their own embarrassing history as if they aren’t the party of slavery, KKK, and Jim Crow.

We didn’t forget, and all those confederate statues being moved to museums won’t forget either: Democrats are the party of slavery and there’s no amount of purging that can change it.
lmao.. so you want to keep these statues up so people won’t forget about Dems and Jim Crow?

That is freaking hilarious.

The people who defend slavery and embrace to confederacy today are mostly republicans. They damn sure aren’t embracing that history because it “embarrasses Dems”

That is some 8 dimensional chess you got going on.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:03 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,255,779 times
So glad I did not switch careers 20 years ago and become a teacher. When will teachers be able to go back and start teaching our kids instead of indoctrinating them?

Old 07-21-2021, 07:10 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
So glad I did not switch careers 20 years ago and become a teacher. When will teachers be able to go back and start teaching our kids instead of indoctrinating them?
if you were a teacher for 20 years you would be called all sorts of names and accused of all types of nonsense regardless of what you taught in class.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Proponents of Critical Race Theory are resorting to semantic gaslighting to defend a dogma that most Americans instinctively abhor.

Some pundits claim that CRT is exclusively a school of thought taught in legal academia. On her MSNBC show, Joy Reid claimed that “law school is really the only place it is taught. NBC has looked into everywhere.” Former Lincoln Project co-founder George Conway tweeted: “I don’t think critical legal studies should be taught in elementary schools, and I am ready to die on that hill[.]”

Some journalists, informed by other “experts,” contend that CRT is synonymous with “talking about racism.” NPR defined CRT as “teaching about the effects of racism”; the New York Times called it “classroom discussion of race, racism.” NBC News labeled it the “academic study of racism’s pervasive impact.”

These definitions are, of course, mutually exclusive. But they both serve to paint parents into a corner. If CRT is defined just as talking about racism, then parental objections to it must be rooted in racism. If CRT is defined just as a thesis discussed in law schools, then parental objections to it must be rooted in ignorance.
https://www.aei.org/op-eds/stop-gasl...l-race-theory/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies