Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 05:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I have a family member who teaches in Loudon County, Virginia. She says that CRT is being shoved down the teacher’s throats, and if any of them speak up or object or say something contrary, they are fired on the spot.

They are removing their kids from the public schools, but she can’t quit because they rely on her job for the benefits.
Did she show you this? These parents are reading from one of the books the school bought for the library.

WARNING: Not safe for work or in the presence of children.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 06:22 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The answer to that, is related to the answer of why there are riots.

We know a lot of these answers. The Kerner Commission looked into it way back in the 1960s. It could basically be written today. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerner_Commission

It's interesting if you read the whole thing, how the conversation about race hasn't really changed much. It's also interesting how many of the authors predictions were right or wrong... they were about 70% right. However, they were a bit too pessimistic and some of their recommendations did come true on their own, such as black representation in the media.

I think the best way to really understand this problem - is to look at similar problems OUTSIDE the U.S. How minorities can be badly treated in a systemic way in countries that are not our own so that we're not so invested in the implications of guilt or the costs of remedies. I use Turkey as a good example. They have a dominant ethnic group and then a lot of minorities who are treated like crap, and it's systemic. The dominant Turks try to deny it. They say, "we don't do those bad things anymore. there is nothing stopping the [Armenians, Abkhazians, Uyghurs, whatever] from succeeding in our country!" But so few of them do. When you look at it from the outside, it's glaringly obvious.

France is really bad for it too, because they are forbidden by law from even categorizing minorities. Even though it's glaringly obvious that white French have many advantages and non-white ones have less.
Regardless of Turkey being a very different system of government ...

Many different Asian communities have succeeded in the US. And the talking point is that recent African immigrants do well too.

Invariably, the answer that comes back is exactly 1 group of people has suffered differently and systematically, and that cannot be overcome without a concerted system-wide effort to change, and to provide them extra advantages so that they can "catch up". If that's the case, and all these other groups have done well since 1965, then we need to know what in those ensuing ~60 years, has continued to hold American Blacks back.

While understanding what % make this claim, since there are obviously many Blacks that have succeeded and become highly-paid and trusted professionals.

And now I look forward to answering the questions you posed about what I would teach the youth!

Old 07-21-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Did she show you this? These parents are reading from one of the books the school bought for the library.

WARNING: Not safe for work or in the presence of children.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

if accurate, I can't believe they haven't managed to recall every single one of the Board members, and banished such crap from being taught. And I only made it through the first 3 excerpts.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:00 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
Regardless of Turkey being a very different system of government ...
Yes in America we think we are special, and that most other countries are s***holes, as if no other countries have a middle class and no other countries have freedom. It's almost as if Americans don't realize there are laws and constitutions outside their own country.

Quote:
Many different Asian communities have succeeded in the US. And the talking point is that recent African immigrants do well too.

Invariably, the answer that comes back is exactly 1 group of people has suffered differently and systematically, and that cannot be overcome without a concerted system-wide effort to change, and to provide them extra advantages so that they can "catch up". If that's the case, and all these other groups have done well since 1965, then we need to know what in those ensuing ~60 years, has continued to hold American Blacks back.

While understanding what % make this claim, since there are obviously many Blacks that have succeeded and become highly-paid and trusted professionals.

And now I look forward to answering the questions you posed about what I would teach the youth!
Chapter 9 of the Kerner Report, "Comparing the Immigrant and Negro (sic) Experience," p. 143: "Here we address a fundamental question that many white Americans are asking today : Why has the Negro been unable to escape from poverty and the ghetto like the European immigrants?"

The answer they found was that immigrants tended to be in similar economic conditions for the first two generations. But the 3rd and 4th move up and out of the ghettos and dead end situations. Blacks had a harder time moving out of their poverty trap places because of racism, both institutionalized in the law, and informal prejudice.

Ta Nehisi Coates says basically the same thing in his books - that in America the zip code you grow up in has a profound influence on your destiny, and blacks have the misfortune to inhabit most of the worst zip codes.* Swap in white people into those zip codes and they'd have the same results. Indeed, the poverty trap problems of poor white communities are pretty much the same as black ones. They have similar problems with the police too, which I can attest to having a cousin who's a policeman in rural Arkansas. It's just the poor white poverty trap communities do not make up as big a proportion of the overall white population as they do the black population. Also the media doesn't pay much attention to rural Arkansas. It does to Los Angeles, etc... because that's where the media business is. So it is not looked at as a much of a problem by the public and media.

*Coates says that the white people in power for most of American history wanted it this way, and saw to it politically to make it happen.

I can also attest to that as someone whose grandfather was a small town Texas mayor in the segregation era when civil rights was happening. Jim Crow was mostly about keeping black people from being full citizens and preserving those privileges for whites. But the right kind of white. The poll tax, literacy tests, etc.. had the added benefit of inhibiting other "undesirables," keeping them separated and out of power, and that included what my grandparents called "white trash," who they saw as arguably worse than blacks, depending on the context. In fact I remember my grandfather saying he had more respect for an educated black person (who was polite), than he did for "white trash." His argument was that if you can't put together $20 once every 2 or 4 years (the amount of the tax, about $175 adjusted for inflation), what good are you as a citizen? You're clearly not pulling your weight and shouldn't be voting.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-21-2021 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-21-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Okay, you're the teacher.

If a student asks...
Quote:
"why was George Floyd murdered?"
He was murdered because 1 cop of seniority, in front of 4 newbie cops of varying racial backgrounds and an unwillingness to intervene, went way past what was necessary to conduct the arrest they were called for. George Floyd was on seriously bad drugs that exacerbated the situation, but that didn't excuse the misdeeds of that officer. That officer was charged with and convicted of murder.

Quote:
"Why are police killings of blacks a problem that make black people upset?"
Because there is a vocal portion of people who believe and perpetuate the false idea that the police are "killing Black people" or "hunting down Black men". The data tells us that cops kill about 30 unarmed Black people throughout the US per year, but unarmed doesn't tell the whole story in most of those cases.

Most people of any race that are killed by the cops are commiting crimes, and apparently do not want to be caught or stopped to the extent that they brandish a weapon, and the cops are authorized to shoot someone who poses grave danger to them or the rest of us.

Quote:
"Why did the protests in 2020 happen & why did they get so big?"
Some protests were completely lawful and protected under the First Amendment. Unfortunately, some turned destructive, or into looting and vandalizing property, or into attacking the police. Protests in areas far away from the George Floyd incident, or Breonna Taylor who was lawfully but wrongly killed, or Jacob Blake who had a knife and threatened the mother of his children and fought with the police, or Rayshard Brooks who fought with police and grabbed their taser and fired it at them, became "social causes" - that is, the "thing to do". Many protests were overwhelmingly attended by white people who wanted to appear compassionate to Blacks without any idea of the reality of Black life. And as word got out that the cops wouldn't stop protests, they escalated into further criminality.

Quote:
"How does racism affect society?"
Racism affects society when a person in power believes that someone under their power is "less", and when someone who is from a minority group believes they are being subjugated, whether there is evidence or not.
If a Black man believes he is being discriminated against "just because he's Black", then that is racism to him, whether it actually is mistreatment or not.

Quote:
"There were race riots a in 1967. In 1992. In 2014. Most of them about police brutality. Why are we still having them in 2020?"
Moreso than in 2020, the "race riots" of 1967 came fresh on the heels of the 1965 Civil Rights laws. Race riots in 1992 and 2014 were largely reactionary in individual cities based upon perceived conditions in those cities.

Last edited by Eyebee Teepee; 07-21-2021 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yes in America we think we are special, and that most other countries are s***holes, as if no other countries have a middle class and no other countries have freedom. It's almost as if Americans don't realize there are laws and constitutions outside their own country.
Oh, I don't think most other countries are **** holes, nor does a 1/3 or more of Americans.

What I think is that Turkey is a vastly different system of government. Was that an inaccurate statement on my part?

Because only you or I can be correct.

And until we agree on that, we can't proceed to the rest.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
if accurate, I can't believe they haven't managed to recall every single one of the Board members, and banished such crap from being taught. And I only made it through the first 3 excerpts.
Isn't that vile and disgusting? So they're teaching it's acceptable to beat a woman and lock her in a closet? And the sexual passages were way too much for high school. Between that and the CRT they're pushing - there is a movement to recall all members of the school board. I haven't kept up with that and don't know the status, however.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
He was murdered because 1 cop of seniority, in front of 4 newbie cops of varying racial backgrounds and an unwillingness to intervene, went way past what was necessary to conduct the arrest they were called for. George Floyd was on seriously bad drugs that exacerbated the situation, but that didn't excuse the misdeeds of that officer. That officer was charged with and convicted of murder.

Because there is a vocal portion of people who believe and perpetuate the false idea that the police are "killing Black people" or "hunting down Black men". The data tells us that cops kill about 30 unarmed Black people throughout the US per year, but unarmed doesn't tell the whole story in most of those cases.

Most people of any race that are killed by the cops are commiting crimes, and apparently do not want to be caught or stopped to the extent that they brandish a weapon, and the cops are authorized to shoot someone who poses grave danger to them or the rest of us.

Some protests were completely lawful and protected under the First Amendment. Unfortunately, some turned destructive, or into looting and vandalizing property, or into attacking the police. Protests in areas far away from the George Floyd incident, or Breonna Taylor who was lawfully but wrongly killed, or Jacob Blake who had a knife and threatened the mother of his children and fought with the police, or Rayshard Brooks who fought with police and grabbed their taser and fired it at them, became "social causes" - that is, the "thing to do". Many protests were overwhelmingly attended by white people who wanted to appear compassionate to Blacks without any idea of the reality of Black life. And as word got out that the cops wouldn't stop protests, they escalated into further criminality.

Racism affects society when a person in power believes that someone under their power is "less", and when someone who is from a minority group believes they are being subjugated, whether there is evidence or not.
If a Black man believes he is being discriminated against "just because he's Black", then that is racism to him, whether it actually is mistreatment or not.

Moreso than in 2020, the "race riots" of 1967 came fresh on the heels of the 1965 Civil Rights laws. Race riots in 1992 and 2014 were largely reactionary in individual cities based upon perceived conditions in those cities.
Okay, well you've done a pretty good job skillfully avoiding much discussion of race, and characterized the problems as a series of one-off incidents. So your contention is that they are not connected by anything? If so, why do so many happen? Here is a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_r..._United_States Wiki counts 16 since 1990.

Quote:
Because there is a vocal portion of people who believe and perpetuate the false idea that the police are "killing Black people" or "hunting down Black men".
My sense is it's not that clear cut. They argue that the killings are the most extreme outcomes of a general climate of prejudice they have to endure from police. I have to admit that most black people I have known expressed at least a somewhat negative attitude toward police. Most of them could tell stories of times in their lives when the authorities assumed they were criminals, watching them more closely, etc.. and they see the killings like Floyd as the extreme end result that, while not common, might happen to them.

Again, growing up as part of the white ownership class in a place where non-whites made up the lower working class... I can attest that police treated me better, sometimes blatantly so. To the extent that my presence with a non-white friend would make a difference in a police interaction. E.g.: once they realized the nice car was mine and I vouched for my friend... no ticket. Whereas my friend was convinced he would have gotten a ticket and threatened by the deputy, possibly arrested, if I had not been there and he'd been in his own car. There was no way to prove that would have happened, but he was convinced.

Quote:
Protests in areas far away from the George Floyd incident, or Breonna Taylor who was lawfully but wrongly killed, or Jacob Blake who had a knife and threatened the mother of his children and fought with the police, or Rayshard Brooks who fought with police and grabbed their taser and fired it at them, became "social causes" - that is, the "thing to do".
This part I'm curious about. 1) Why does it matter the geographic proximity of the protest to the original incident? 2) why do you think they thought it was the "thing to do?"

Old 07-21-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, I don't think most other countries are **** holes, nor does a 1/3 or more of Americans.

What I think is that Turkey is a vastly different system of government. Was that an inaccurate statement on my part?

Because only you or I can be correct.

And until we agree on that, we can't proceed to the rest.
Turkey is officially a parliamentary democratic republic, governed under a constitution adopted in 1982. That constitution has a clause that says "Everyone is equal before the law without distinction as to language, race, colour, sex, political opinion, philosophical belief, religion and sect, or any such grounds. Men and women have equal rights. The State has the obligation to ensure that this equality exists in practice."

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Const...before_the_law

But of course any outside observer can see that is a fiction. Or at best, an ideal they do not live up to.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:57 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Why bring in other countries if it's only to confuse instead of stay on track.

What other country fought a civil war to stop slavery, what countries still have slavery. Research that for awhile.

I know people are trying to rewrite history about the civil war but the upshot was when the war was over the slaves were freed. If it wasn't about slavery they would have remained slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies