Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 08:17 PM

18,722 posts, read 7,601,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol…it’s never been taught in any school below the college level. SMH.

Why is she just outright lying?
The crap being taught in many schools today is different from what was taught in a few college classes years ago. Today they are teaching that all whites are automatically raaacist no matter what they have done or even thought, and that they should be ashamed of it. That's what goes by the name of "Critical Race Theory" today, no matter what you learned in college years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 11:24 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,427,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol…it’s never been taught in any school below the college level. SMH.

Why is she just outright lying?
Let me guess, teacher can hold class disseminating the ideas found in CRT, but if the course isn't specifically called "Critical Race Theory," it doesn't count as CRT?

The gaslighting on this issue by the media, academia and 'crats is stunning. They will tell us that CRT is only taught in institutions of higher learning and in the next breath they will berate opponents for "not wanting kids to learn US history."

Old 07-21-2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's more accurate to say that the current critics of CRT are okay with teaching the history of racism as long as contemporary white people are absolved of any connection to the past, and we agree that no white people have inherited any advantage from it.

They basically want American history of race to stop at 1965. It was a great reset! Everything about race was resolved at that point. The cherry on top was the election of Barack Obama in 2008. The proof. It was over.

It's funny that I often hear this - that the lynchpin of the argument against the existence of racism as a significant phenomenon is typically the election of Obama. That argument tends to be made by people who did not vote for or support Obama.

It's not that I'm "absolved" of any connection to the past, it's that I was never guilty of things of the past.

I am no more accountable for the bad others have done than I am credited for the good others have done.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Okay, you're the teacher.

If a student asks, "why was George Floyd murdered?" "Why are police killings of blacks a problem that make black people upset?" "Why did the protests in 2020 happen & why did they get so big?" "How does racism affect society?" "There were race riots a in 1967. In 1992. In 2014. Most of them about police brutality. Why are we still having them in 2020?"

How would you answer?

I am very curious how you would answer those questions without the through-line of racism.
We can be sure you wouldn't want any in-depth discussion over those issues. You have your ready-made narratives and anything that would question or counter those narratives would be rejected out of hand.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:20 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
you're definition of "teaching hate" is gaslighting. LOL. CRT does not teach black kids that whites are superior. This is gaslighting, bordering on trolling language. Black people don't read about white slave masters and think "man, i'm subhuman...whites are so much better". We learn about how things got to where they are currently.

And the 1619 project has been fact checked to death. It's accurate and factual. People like you don't like it because like i said, yall want to ERASE any mention of white people doing bad stuff to others, specifically black people in America.

Another example. We live in a place where people will argue up and down about why the confederates went to war. People, even on these forums, lie about why they went to war, then when i've presented people with direct quotes from multiple confederate leaders stating the exact reasons be about keeping blacks in slavery forever, people tell me i'm wrong. they literally arguing on behalf of historical figures yet somehow disagree with the direct sentiment of said people. this is insanity.

"CRT" as people are discussing it in 2021 isn't about CRT, it's about erasing the bad stuff white people did in american history. "It teaches hate" is a b-s argument.
The b-s is coming from you and others who claim opposition to CRT is aimed at erasing the bad stuff white people did in American history.

The Iowa law that supposedly bans CRT specifically states that it doesn't prohibit the use of curriculum that teaches the topics of sexism, slavery, racial oppression, racial segregation or racial discrimination, including topics relating to the enactment and enforcement of laws resulting in sexism, racial oppression, segregation, and discrimination.

Why can't you show us something from these anti-CRT laws that does what you claim ?

Old 07-22-2021, 05:25 AM

608 posts, read 239,246 times
Teaching the ugly truth of much of America's history would be tolerable if it didn't include the following absolute BS:

That White children are automatically racist because they were born and exist. <---This makes CRT indefensible.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:39 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,504,702 times
https://lp.hillsdale.edu/imprimis-cr...SSbvZlLDzwgkYc

Get your free issue of Imprimis:
Critical Race Theory: What It Is and How to Fight It

Old 07-22-2021, 10:54 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
We can be sure you wouldn't want any in-depth discussion over those issues. You have your ready-made narratives and anything that would question or counter those narratives would be rejected out of hand.
Oh, ypu know me that well, huh?

Old 07-22-2021, 11:00 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The b-s is coming from you and others who claim opposition to CRT is aimed at erasing the bad stuff white people did in American history.

The Iowa law that supposedly bans CRT specifically states that it doesn't prohibit the use of curriculum that teaches the topics of sexism, slavery, racial oppression, racial segregation or racial discrimination, including topics relating to the enactment and enforcement of laws resulting in sexism, racial oppression, segregation, and discrimination.

Why can't you show us something from these anti-CRT laws that does what you claim ?
In which case it's unclear what they do ban, if anything.

You know it'll do nothing right? No teacher is gping to change the way they teach based on a ban that bans nothing in particular. If anything they'll focus on race more.

If I were a teacher in one of these states, I'd respond by reorienting my entire courseload around race. I'd film every class and put it on youtube. They've already been doing that because of the pandemic anyway. I would WANT the administration to try and fire me based on these laws, or even better arrest me and put me on trial for breaking the ban. Because then the prosecution would have to define CRT, prove that it's distinct from teaching about race, and prove that it's false or otherwise so damaging that it warrants a restriction of the 1st amendment.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-22-2021 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-22-2021, 11:01 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Ta Nehisi Coates says basically the same thing in his books - that in America the zip code you grow up in has a profound influence on your destiny, and blacks have the misfortune to inhabit most of the worst zip codes.* Swap in white people into those zip codes and they'd have the same results.
I disagree with this statement. There are numerous examples of low income zip codes in cities that become gentrified and their level of affluence increases.

The qualifications of people that populate an area definitely matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies