Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 12:27 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because these laws area still on the books does not mean it is a common practice. How many 12 year old girls legally married in Massachusetts?
Hopefully zero. As I already said, the Massachusetts law probably is probably an old law that was left on the books because the state never bothered changing it. It's still the law.

Here's what we know about Juan Miranda-Jara and his 12 year old girlfriend: The girls entire family was fine with it. Her parents were okay with it. Nobody realized that anything was wrong. Well, if they happened to live in Massachusetts, we already know that there was parental consent. Just find a judge willing to give the okay and they could be married. Boom! This entire scenario just became 100% legal!! Or we could move it over to California and Juan Miranda-Jara would be just 2 years too old for him to have 100% legal consensual sex with his 12 year old girlfriend. He's needs to be within 10 years of the girl's age. He's 24. If he were 22 then the whole thing would be legal in CA. The Massachusetts law is probably old, but it's on the books and this couple could have legitimately cited them. The California law was just signed into law last year. The corresponding law making same-sex consent legal within 10 years was signed just weeks ago.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:00 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Hopefully zero. As I already said, the Massachusetts law probably is probably an old law that was left on the books because the state never bothered changing it. It's still the law.

Here's what we know about Juan Miranda-Jara and his 12 year old girlfriend: The girls entire family was fine with it. Her parents were okay with it. Nobody realized that anything was wrong. Well, if they happened to live in Massachusetts, we already know that there was parental consent. Just find a judge willing to give the okay and they could be married. Boom! This entire scenario just became 100% legal!! Or we could move it over to California and Juan Miranda-Jara would be just 2 years too old for him to have 100% legal consensual sex with his 12 year old girlfriend. He's needs to be within 10 years of the girl's age. He's 24. If he were 22 then the whole thing would be legal in CA. The Massachusetts law is probably old, but it's on the books and this couple could have legitimately cited them. The California law was just signed into law last year. The corresponding law making same-sex consent legal within 10 years was signed just weeks ago.
True. There are unique cases. Could have gone either way. Since she was pregnant, he had already broken the law and they could get him on statutory rape or a judge could rule in the best interest of all for them to marry. I'd say such ruling would be very rare. Mexico has similar legal marriage ages and consent as well yet in some Mexican states although not legal it is common and often acceptable for minor girls to marry even as young as 12 and start families.

Its not shocking or surprising as we all know this type thing happens globally, its the commonality and/or social acceptance that is upsetting.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:10 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

That's for 14 and above.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:18 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
True. There are unique cases. Could have gone either way. Since she was pregnant, he had already broken the law and they could get him on statutory rape or a judge could rule in the best interest of all for them to marry. I'd say such ruling would be very rare. Mexico has similar legal marriage ages and consent as well yet in some Mexican states although not legal it is common and often acceptable for minor girls to marry even as young as 12 and start families.

Its not shocking or surprising as we all know this type thing happens globally, its the commonality and/or social acceptance that is upsetting.

Well, even in Mexico, the age of consent is 17. In 2012, it was raised from 12 to 15. So...I can see how this couple would've thought everything was fine.

That said, when you're in another country, you're subject to that country's laws.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:21 PM

30,069 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sounds like the guy will get an important and influential post in the Biden admin to spread this "diversity" and multi-culturalism in the US.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
That's for 14 and above.
Please cite a source for the limitation to 14 year olds.

Assuming that you're correct, limiting things to 14+ helps, but not much. I'm still not thinking, "Yay!!! A 24 year old man can legally screw a 14 year old girl!! A 24 year old woman can legally screw a 14 year old boy!! Hurray for the wonderful progress we've just made!!"

No, it's still vomit-inducing levels of not okay.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:23 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Its a crime here. In other countries its the norm. Get with it. But youre ok with these cultures norms, because diversity rules!
I don’t know whose post you’re responding to because I don’t see how this makes any sense in regards to what I wrote.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:24 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well, even in Mexico, the age of consent is 17. In 2012, it was raised from 12 to 15. So...I can see how this couple would've thought everything was fine.

That said, when you're in another country, you're subject to that country's laws.
Yeah, but the media and some posters want us to believe they are from Oklahoma, USA, not somewhere in Mexico.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:26 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Yeah, but the media and some posters want us to believe they are from Oklahoma, USA, not somewhere in Mexico.
Because real Americans never have sex with minors, right?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...erate-n1267587

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Mo...ct_allegations

Old 07-22-2021, 02:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
I'd be interested to know if they are US citizens, and if not, just allowing them to return home, with no criminal charges might be the best. With the baby now born on US soil, though, that child is a citizen.

This article states that they had family support for their relationship, and even a baby shower complete with pictures and facebook posts.

This is just their culture. He's there, ready to be a dad to this baby, and she's there, ready to be a mom.

Not what I'd choose for a daughter, but this is what their family and communities do.

https://meaww.com/who-is-juan-mirand...rlfriend-birth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies