Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 11:41 AM

15,441 posts, read 7,502,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Now they are.

FTR, abstinence has always been 100% reliable.
So, married couples shouldn't have sex? That's stupid, really stupid. We have friends whose third child was a birth control failure, and their fourth was conceived after a tubal ligation. They chose to have the kids, but should have been able to get an abortion if they so desired since they were poor at the time, and couldn't really afford those kids. Thier families helped out for years.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Thanks for walking right into the hypocrisy quagmire that inflicts every single pro-abortion person I've ever encountered.

1) Every single mother-to-be I've ever known considers her unborn child to be alive. What do you call the life state of a baby? It's either dead or alive.

2) Have you ever known someone who's suffered the tragedy of a miscarriage? Why would they grieve over something that isn't alive? You are one seriously hard-hearted person.
3) Have you ever known someone who's lost an unborn child to trauma (car accident, assault), etc.? Again, they seem pretty upset for something that is nothing but tissue by your definition.
4) I guarantee you that if you lost an unborn child due to a drunk driver you'd want that person prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

And that's the crux of the matter: Pro-abortionists are world class hypocrites. They want to change the definition of "life" to whatever fits their needs at the time - all in some pathetic attempt to shirk the consequences of their own actions. The bottom line is that abortion is barbaric and beyond horrifying. History will judge us harshly.
Well, that covers women who want the child. How about women who don't want the child? Women who were raped? Women who shouldn't be pregnant?

Old 11-28-2021, 12:00 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I hope like hell that the SCOTUS has the gumption to overturn Roe. That’s my dream scenario. Been hoping for this for decades.

Greatest possible gift the Democratic Party could ever receive. PUH-LEEZE do it SCOTUS Conservatives. Not to mention that GOP fundraising based on anti abortion efforts; tens of millions of dollars, will be dead and buried. They’ll have nothing else inflammatory enough to rile up the base to get those millions from small evangelical donors without abortion being on the platform.

My fear is that the SCOTUS simply isn’t stupid enough to pull the trigger. They know what’ll happen.
Without going into much detail as to how I feel about Roe v Wade you are overlooking a LOT of other issues other than abortion. As to "inflammatory" issues there's plenty left to create a wide rift politically that conservatives in general will still vote Republican on and small evangelical campaign donors who single issue vote only on abortion are not nearly so numerous as you are giving them credit for.

I don't comment in these Roe v Wade threads but once in a blue moon over the South pole but I can answer this post without getting caught up in the septic quagmire of that issue. There's plenty of stuff to get the conservative base riled up without the abortion issue. The current state of the entire nation due to Democrat policy and shift to the extreme left riles up far more folks than evangelicals and other pulpit pounders. The Independent vote is quite key now more than ever on issues like education, firearms rights, crime and punishment, energy the military, foreign policy and on it goes.

Looking at abortion singly as the only issue drawing support for the Republicans via the religious right is erroneous at best.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:13 PM

15,860 posts, read 14,487,406 times
Roe v Wade is a subsidiary precedent to Griswald vs Connecticut, the case that established a right to privacy. However, the Constitution never mentions the right to privacy, and the SCOTUS just conjured it up out of nothing. But to really overturn Roe v Wade, the court would have to acknowledge the illegitimacy of Griswald. That would overturn the apple cart to an even greater degree than overturning Roe.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:17 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I can't imagine the courts would intercede if a man said- I'd like a vascetomy and the courts said, too bad!
What are you talking about? Today an employer can tell you to get a vaccine and you must comply - supported by the USSC.

In that world.. Roe cannot stand.

It is either one or the other... we have a right to privacy in our medical decisions OR we don't.

Since we don't... we don't. Roe is bad law.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Roe v Wade is a subsidiary precedent to Griswald vs Connecticut, the case that established a right to privacy. However, the Constitution never mentions the right to privacy, and the SCOTUS just conjured it up out of nothing. But to really overturn Roe v Wade, the court would have to acknowledge the illegitimacy of Griswald. That would overturn the apple cart to an even greater degree than overturning Roe.
Ninth Amendment:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

That basically states that not all rights are listed in the Constitution, and that lack of mention doesn't mean the right doesn't exist.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:42 PM

15,860 posts, read 14,487,406 times
It also doesn't mean the courts should be able whip them up out of nothing, which in the opinion of Griswald they basically admitted they didn. See "emanations and penumbras"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Ninth Amendment:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

That basically states that not all rights are listed in the Constitution, and that lack of mention doesn't mean the right doesn't exist.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:53 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Without going into much detail as to how I feel about Roe v Wade you are overlooking a LOT of other issues other than abortion. As to "inflammatory" issues there's plenty left to create a wide rift politically that conservatives in general will still vote Republican on and small evangelical campaign donors who single issue vote only on abortion are not nearly so numerous as you are giving them credit for.

I don't comment in these Roe v Wade threads but once in a blue moon over the South pole but I can answer this post without getting caught up in the septic quagmire of that issue. There's plenty of stuff to get the conservative base riled up without the abortion issue. The current state of the entire nation due to Democrat policy and shift to the extreme left riles up far more folks than evangelicals and other pulpit pounders. The Independent vote is quite key now more than ever on issues like education, firearms rights, crime and punishment, energy the military, foreign policy and on it goes.

Looking at abortion singly as the only issue drawing support for the Republicans via the religious right is erroneous at best.
I agree with you that abortion isn't a keystone issue for many on the right, although it is for some on the religious right. However, I think desertdetroiter was referencing more the impact overturning Roe could potentially have on those to the left and center. It has the potential to really energize the left and motivate some in the center to lean to the Democrats. I would hope that if SCOTUS overturns Roe and has a well-reasoned opinion based solidly on the Constitution that wouldn't happen. But I think it is inevitable that some would see it as purely political. It will definitely motivate people on the statewide level to try to influence their state legislatures in a way they may feel some complacency about now.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:09 PM

631 posts, read 289,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Well, that covers women who want the child. How about women who don't want the child? Women who were raped? Women who shouldn't be pregnant?
Do women who don't want the child, who were raped, or who otherwise shouldn't be pregnant, consider the fetus dead tissue? If so, are they correct?

I think that's the question rasied by the other poster -- and in the general abortion debate.

How we feel about something doesn't determine its absolute value.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:12 PM

89,045 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm not understanding how the right to privacy morphed into a right to access a state-regulated medical procedure. No one else has a right to access medical procedures regulated by states. For example, FGM (female genital mutilation). It's state-regulated and no one has a guaranteed legal right to access it.

FGM is illegal in 40 states regardless of anyone's privacy.

https://www.theahafoundation.org/fem...tion-by-state/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies