Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2021, 10:38 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Sure, it'll continue. But more restrictions on abortions means fewer abortions in the grand scheme of things as not everyone can or will travel elsewhere where it is legal or will otherwise try to terminate life on their own.

Poor women will lose? I call a chance for life for the defenseless unborn--half of whom are women--a win in my book My ancestors were dirt poor in this country post-slavery and during Jim Crow. I thank God that my "poor" female ancestors weren't readily able to have abortions on demand and that our communities were allowed to grow.

Edited to add: ultimately, regardless of the policy reasons for and against abortion, I argue that there is no constitutional right to an abortion. That is completely judge-made law.
Restrictions will reduce legal abortions but illegal abortions and women traveling out of state will continue. Single mothers are doomed to a life time of poverty, I don't call that an opportunity. This will impact poor women for the most part making life more difficult, middle class women won't notice.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:39 AM

62,986 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Capitol building, not Capital building.
Is that all you've got is attacking spelling errors? Why didn't you address the rest of my post? What's the matter hit a nerve of truth, did I?

Old 11-29-2021, 10:47 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Restrictions will reduce legal abortions but illegal abortions and women traveling out of state will continue. Single mothers are doomed to a life time of poverty, I don't call that an opportunity. This will impact poor women for the most part making life more difficult, middle class women won't notice.
It's hard to have sympathy when more than half of all unintended pregnancies are the result of failure to even use taxpayer-funded free birth control at all. 95% of unintended pregnancies are due to either failure to use any birth control (54%), or using it incorrectly/inconsistently (41%).

There are thousands of taxpayer-funded Title X Family Planning Clinics throughout the US that distribute free or extremely low-cost contraception. Why aren't girls/women wishing to avoid pregnancy and/or single motherhood using them? And don't give me the boo hoo Planned Parenthood was defunded excuse. There are only 700 PP facilities in the US compared to the thousands of government-funded Title X Family Planning Clinics.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:21 AM

15,442 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In the vast majority of cases, they're not. In 99.67% of pregnancies (rape or incest account for 0.33% of all pregnancies), women WILLINGLY participate in an act in which they know pregnancy is a possible outcome. They are CHOOSING to participate in that activity fully knowing that a pregnancy may result. No one has forced them against their will to participate in an activity that has pregnancy as a KNOWN possible outcome. Stop spreading your abhorrently misogynistic belief that women are too stupid to know what they're doing.
Are you really arguing that people shouldn't have sex? That's against human nature. Sex is the third strongest human drive after eating and sleeping. And yes, some younger women believe it when they are told they can't get pregnant the first time they have sex. Or believe the man when he says he will use a condom, which he then removes without telling her.

What business is it of yours what decisions a woman and her doctor make? It's not. And don't give this garbage about "innocent life" when you figuratively take the newborn and bash its head against a concrete pillar, because you think taxation is theft, and don't want to provide a safety net to help take care of infants whose mother can't afford to.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Killing an unborn child is apparently each state's business as most of them have fetal homicide laws.
Those laws do not apply to abortions. You apparently can't tell teh difference between an outside party killing a pregnant woman and a woman who chooses to end a pregnancy for whatever reason she chooses.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I think SCOTUS will overturn Roe v. Wade based on the 10th Amendment. This isn't about abortion rights, it's about Federal overreach and state's rights. There is nothing in the Constitution that addresses a woman's right to an abortion - as such, its a state issue. Roe v. Wade is un-Constitutional because it violates the 10th Amendment.
The 9th Amendment contains an implied right to privacy. The 9th Amendment specifically states that not all rights are listed. The fact right to privacy isn't specifically listed doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Or do you only like amendments you agree with?

Old 11-29-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
It's hard to have sympathy when more than half of all unintended pregnancies are the result of failure to even use taxpayer-funded free birth control at all. 95% of unintended pregnancies are due to either failure to use any birth control (54%), or using it incorrectly/inconsistently (41%).

There are thousands of taxpayer-funded Title X Family Planning Clinics throughout the US that distribute free or extremely low-cost contraception. Why aren't girls/women wishing to avoid pregnancy and/or single motherhood using them? And don't give me the boo hoo Planned Parenthood was defunded excuse. There are only 700 PP facilities in the US compared to the thousands of government-funded Title X Family Planning Clinics.
Not in Texas. PP provided nearly all of the care for rural women and poor women, and Texas shut them all down. None of them have been replaced. The Republicans in the Texas Legislature hate poor people and people of color.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:27 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Been hearing about the imminent over-turn of Roe v Wade for about 20 years now.

It's a GREAT fund raising tool for the left and right though so that's not surprising.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Are you really arguing that people shouldn't have sex?
No. I'm arguing that they be responsible when doing so. 95% of unintended pregnancies are due to either failure to use any birth control (54%), or using it incorrectly/inconsistently (41%). There's no excuse for that. Making killing a human life legal is a barbaric way of dealing with a ridiculously absurd level of irresponsibility for oneself and the consequences of one's own chosen actions.

Quote:
What business is it of yours what decisions a woman and her doctor make? It's not. And don't give this garbage about "innocent life" when you figuratively take the newborn and bash its head against a concrete pillar, because you think taxation is theft, and don't want to provide a safety net to help take care of infants whose mother can't afford to.
What business does a state have enacting a law that killing a human fetus is illegal? Hmmm...???

Old 11-29-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Those laws do not apply to abortions.
Why not? The end result is the EXACT same thing: a dead human fetus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies