Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 10:31 PM

5,657 posts, read 6,259,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The one constant in these discussions is that women are ill-informed, misinformed, ignorant, or just plain stupid about getting/using birth control in spite of the relentless advertising, as well as condoms in almost every store, and they are also somewhat confused as to how babies are made.

But *somehow* they all know what an abortion is and where to go to get one.
I disagree that this is a "constant" and disagree with your implied assertion that people who support choice have that view based on thinking that women are inferior. It'd an old and tired trope. Without limitation:

- Birth control can fail
- Men can remove condoms during sex
- Men can lie about having had a vasectomy
- Even responsible women can forget to take a pill now and again
- Women get raped
- Women who want children can have dangerous pregnancies
- Women who want children can get pregnant with fetuses that will develop into babies with tragic birth defects
- And yes, women (and men) can have a couple of drinks or otherwise make decisions they regret and have unprotected sex and regret it afterwards

Recognizing the human condition does not mean that those who support choice do so because of an inherent belief that women are inferior actors in their own lives. It is recognizing that precautions aren't perfect, other people can fail you, and yes, sometimes people are human and make mistakes. Some have argued it is barbaric that women with an unplanned pregnancy be permitted to abort. To me, it is barbaric to require them to carry to term.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:32 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,482,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No wonder you have the attitude you do about choice.
Yeah I guess he doesnt realize if abortion is banned those knitting needles will be used for self abortions.

Scum.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:33 PM

34,210 posts, read 17,295,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
A few hundred miles? You're a real prince. Have you told your wife what a prize she's married to?
Single and happy guy here.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I disagree that this is a "constant" and disagree with your implied assertion that people who support choice have that view based on thinking that women are inferior. It'd an old and tired trope. Without limitation:

- Birth control can fail
- Men can remove condoms during sex
- Even responsible women can forget to take a pill now and again
- Women get raped
- Women who want children can have dangerous pregnancies
- Women who want children can get pregnant with fetuses that will develop into babies with tragic birth defects
- And yes, women (and men) can have a couple of drinks or otherwise make decisions they regret and have unprotected sex and regret it afterwards

Recognizing the human condition does not mean that those who support choice do so because of an inherent belief that women are inferior actors in their own lives. It is recognizing that precautions aren't perfect, other people can fail you, and yes, sometimes people are human and make mistakes. Some have argued it is barbaric that women with an unplanned pregnancy be permitted to abort. To me, it is barbaric to require them to carry to term.
Agree and very well stated.

You are much more diplomatic than I am because I see all the self-righteous moralizers as holier than thou busybodies.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:38 PM

8,188 posts, read 3,747,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I don't kill another human's life because I forgot to take a vitamin.

And they're not becoming parents against their will. They VOLUNTARILY chose to participate in an activity the known outcome of which is a possible pregnancy, and VOLUNTARILY failed to use bc or used it incorrectly/inconsistently while doing so.
You must be on a wrong thread. You keep talking about "killing".

Old 12-12-2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Single and happy guy here.
No wonder you are single lol.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Re the bolded....I think that waits to be seen. Not immediately, but if Roe is overturned and it becomes understood more globally.....we'll see.
Right. All you have to do is go to the thread about Gavin Newsome proposing a Texas style law on guns.

The responders are crazed gun enthusiasts who most dont have a clue about the Texas abortion law. And, even if they have heard of it they don't understand how it works.

People have not fully realized the threat to Roe v Wade at this point.

Americans as I have said before are reactive not proactive in general.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:11 PM

33,410 posts, read 12,714,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Killing a child is not an answer to economic rough patches. Just like one can't kill their landlord when one can't pay the rent.
Their landlord isn't a fetus.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:15 PM

34,210 posts, read 17,295,386 times
Roe was never a federal matter, and soon it will again be a state's decision to make.

The Constitution as written is the focus of SCOTUS again, as should have been the case every year.

Not creative interpretations. The real document, as written, works perfectly.

Don't like it? Fine. We have a system to add amendments. It takes just 38 states to approve one once it passed the legislative process.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Roe was never a federal matter, and soon it will again be a state's decision to make.

The Constitution as written is the focus of SCOTUS again, as should have been the case every year.

Not creative interpretations. The real document, as written, works perfectly.

Don't like it? Fine. We have a system to add amendments. It takes just 38 states to approve one once it passed the legislative process.
So in your view, do I as a woman have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness or not based on how the Constitution is written?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies