Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 03:35 PM

2,905 posts, read 995,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
I expect members to consider these doctors wackos and to discredit them. Like everything else I listen and make up my own mind. I will not get the vaccine based on my research (I don't want to be an experiment) and I'm very healthy. I take supplements (one being Vitamin D) and I placed an order for Ivermectin just in case.
What does your research consist of?

I personally trust medical professionals with the proper credentials.

Doctors who are known to be "wackos" are not what I would consider credible. And it's certainly not part of any actual reasonable, useful research. You're not doing yourself any favors by not taking advantage of the actual proven tools we have to fight this virus. A vaccine will help much more than any vitamin supplement.

Go read the FDA's website for actual information. They're giving straightforward information that will help answer any questions.

If you really want to research, find a 6th grade science textbook and study the virology chapters. That'll give the basics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 03:36 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
What do you think in three years will happen when 70% of Americans aren't dead? Forgetfulness and on to the next conspiracy theory would be my guess.
Yep. I agree!

And as an aside to that, I think based on my experience many years ago when I was new to many of the offbeat conspiracy theories (WAY beyond those concerning the JFK assassination or a faked moon landing) and started researching them (and, btw, I think about 95% of conspiracy theories are absolutely, without a doubt, "nuts"), I formed the opinion that many people view conspiracy theories the way that some people "love" horror novels. They don't really believe them, but they get a bit of a thrill in either reading them and/or imagining that that they could be true. I think that many, if not most, conspiracy theorists are harmless in the way that some religious fanatics are, or like how many people enjoy Star Trek and sci-fi/fantasy, but there are some fans are REALLY into that to the point of people wondering if they have a firm grip on reality. (Of course, all of that is just my opinion.)

Last edited by katharsis; 08-16-2021 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-16-2021, 03:40 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
It's really amazing to read comments from people who just blindly believe The Authorities.

I'm not saying that you should automatically disbelieve them simply because of their position, but so many just accept whatever is said because of who's saying it, regardless of how illogical, hypocritical or just plain wrong it is.

Medical opinions are just that. Medicine is no more an exact science than climate is, so opinions matter and can be valid even if in conflict with other opinions seen as valid.

When did the left stop questioning authority? It used to be a slogan they used. Now, to do so is blasphemy. Very strange.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:41 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
This will end up (it has already started) aligning with political affiliation. That in itself is very unfortunate. It's also unfortunate that so many people see it as some kind of sin for a scientist or MD to question what is OFFICIALLY an experimental drug that has never been used on this scale and is completely new technology. It is impossible to look down the road and know for sure concerning any unfortunate long-term effects.

In these matters, if I err, I err on the side of skepticism. It too bad so many people do not respect that choice. You folks who crow the loudest about "anti-vaxxers" tend to also be the people who crow the loudest about the evils of religion. YET... you take this drug on faith just like the person going to church on Sunday. As usual... very hypocritical. There is no way you can know the long term effects because the scientists who developed this don't even know. Yet you have a hernia because some doctors and researchers have HEALTHY skepticism.

You remind me of the catholic church "scientists" rejecting the "nonsense" and "anti-science" set forth by Copernicus. The only difference is that you no longer have the power to send the "heretics" to the inquisition chambers for confess or die therapy. But you'll certainly try to make it just as unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
What do you think in three years will happen when 70% of Americans aren't dead? Forgetfulness and on to the next conspiracy theory would be my guess.
Nope. We will have had a legitimate clinical trial that resulted in a successful outcome. Just don't expect me to herald your bravery in volunteering for the trial. That was YOUR choice. Not mine. I will respect that. Will you respect my choice?

I don't go cliff diving because it's beyond my "fear reaction point," just as this "vaccine" is. You have no right to force me to dive off a cliff because YOU did and YOU think it is safe.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:44 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's really amazing to read comments from people who just blindly believe The Authorities.

I'm not saying that you should automatically disbelieve them simply because of their position, but so many just accept whatever is said because of who's saying it, regardless of how illogical, hypocritical or just plain wrong it is.

Medical opinions are just that. Medicine is no more an exact science than climate is, so opinions matter and can be valid even if in conflict with other opinions seen as valid.

When did the left stop questioning authority? It used to be a slogan they used. Now, to do so is blasphemy. Very strange.
Both climate science and medicine are based on actual data. It's not "because they said so". It is because there is actual evidence.

In many cases, the scientific work is available for public viewing. Anyone who wants to look at the data for themselves may do so.

I looked at the clinical trial data before I got my vaccine. Yes, the actual data.

This is not about obedience and not about hypocrisy. It is about understanding science. If a person does not understand science, they can hire/ask someone else to look at the data and interpret it for them. The government experts are simply scientists hired by the taxpayers to interpret the data.

But if you want, you can have your own scientist do it, or look at it yourself.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:45 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
What does your research consist of?

I personally trust medical professionals with the proper credentials.

Doctors who are known to be "wackos" are not what I would consider credible. And it's certainly not part of any actual reasonable, useful research. You're not doing yourself any favors by not taking advantage of the actual proven tools we have to fight this virus. A vaccine will help much more than any vitamin supplement.

Go read the FDA's website for actual information. They're giving straightforward information that will help answer any questions.

If you really want to research, find a 6th grade science textbook and study the virology chapters. That'll give the basics.
Or order yourself some of Mercolas magic pills for curing COVID. I think he's been made to stop saying they're magic pills for beating COVID, but they're likely still for sale on his website. Alternatively if you want a cheaper one, just get the nettle quercetin stuff. Just for me it does help with seasonal allergies. Probably does bunkus for COVID though.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:50 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
14 out of 1 million say the vaccines are bad. I will listen to the 14 and ignore the rest, since the 14 confirm my existing beliefs.
Imagine how hard you'd have to look for those 14, too. What a waste of energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Same here. I remember back in March of 2020, I went to my doctor for some sniffles and asked if I need a covid test. He said only if my company needed it, and it doesn't, so then he advised not getting the test if I don't need to. Says that it damages the membranes in your nasal cavities and this is what helps to keep toxins from getting into your system. Later on with the vaccine came out, I made an appointment for both my mom and I and our doctors both told us to not bother with the vaccine. He said that the chance of us getting covid is slim and that if we do, it's better to get it than get the vaccine. He said the vaccine is kind of pointless in that the virus itself is not that contagious and has a very high survival rate all on it's own. The ones that are getting really sick would have gotten really sick with the vaccine too.
Your doctor needs to go back to medical school. I'd be looking for a new doctor, myself.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:50 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This will end up (it has already started) aligning with political affiliation. That in itself is very unfortunate. It's also unfortunate that so many people see it as some kind of sin for a scientist or MD to question what is OFFICIALLY an experimental drug that has never been used on this scale and is completely new technology. It is impossible to look down the road and know for sure concerning any unfortunate long-term effects.

In these matters, if I err, I err on the side of skepticism. It too bad so many people do not respect that choice. You folks who crow the loudest about "anti-vaxxers" tend to also be the people who crow the loudest about the evils of religion. YET... you take this drug on faith just like the person going to church on Sunday. As usual... very hypocritical. There is no way you can know the long term effects because the scientists who developed this don't even know. Yet you have a hernia because some doctors and researchers have HEALTHY skepticism.

You remind me of the catholic church "scientists" rejecting the "nonsense" and "anti-science" set forth by Copernicus. The only difference is that you no longer have the power to send the "heretics" to the inquisition chambers for confess or die therapy.

Nope. We will have had a legitimate clinical trial that resulted in a successful outcome. Just don't expect me to herald your bravery in volunteering for the trial. That was YOUR choice. Not mine. I will respect that. Will you respect my choice?

I don't go cliff diving because it's beyond my "fear reaction point," just as this "vaccine" is. You have no right to force me to dive off a cliff because YOU did and YOU think it is safe.
It's people like you that I hope DON'T take the vaccine. So you can continue to entertain us with posts like this one....while 90+ percent of all COVID cases, hospitalizations, and deaths continue to be among the unvaccinated.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:56 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Both climate science and medicine are based on actual data. It's not "because they said so". It is because there is actual evidence.

In many cases, the scientific work is available for public viewing. Anyone who wants to look at the data for themselves may do so.

I looked at the clinical trial data before I got my vaccine. Yes, the actual data.

This is not about obedience and not about hypocrisy. It is about understanding science. If a person does not understand science, they can hire/ask someone else to look at the data and interpret it for them. The government experts are simply scientists hired by the taxpayers to interpret the data.

But if you want, you can have your own scientist do it, or look at it yourself.

Which time machine did you use when you looked up that "data"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's people like you that I hope DON'T take the vaccine. So you can continue to entertain us with posts like this one....while 90+ percent of all COVID cases, hospitalizations, and deaths continue to be among the unvaccinated.
Yep. And a sub one percent mortality rate. That's a risk I'm willing to take, since there are much higher risks hanging over my head every day all day long. Such as cancer, for instance. What do you think my chance of developing cancer and dying is (50's age group)? I'll bet you don't even know. In fact, I'll bet you don't know yours either. I guarantee you it's a whole hell of a lot higher risk than covid.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:04 PM

10,489 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Imagine how hard you'd have to look for those 14, too. What a waste of energy.

Your doctor needs to go back to medical school. I'd be looking for a new doctor, myself.
My doctor is the primary doctor for a President in a South American country. I would trust him over anyone here in the USA! And definitely over you. So far, I'm doing fine while all the people who I know who are sick now were all vaccinated! Looks like my doctor knows what he is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies