Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 01:15 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Rather than making fun of NZ for locking down for 1 covid case, I think the main takeaway should be: they have 1 covid case. But yes less push the fascism narrative. Living in heads rent free.
But again, the half-truths and fear-mongering by wannabee-benevolent despots are distorting the facts.

This is not New Zealand's first case of COVID. It may, however, be the first case of the Deta variant in a relatively-isolated area; an excellent teaching moment -- if that scenario holds.

So please. let's lesve the hard choices to the professionals who know the riisks and possibilities -- and not to the tea-time talk-show crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 01:28 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Unlike smallpox and polio, which only attack humans, flu and Covid/coronaviruses also attack animals. Which means it will ALWAYS be in the environment, it will mutate as needed and it can't be eradicated.

Take responsibility for your own health. Don't expect the government to save you! They don't care about you!

Old 08-17-2021, 01:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTAOLAO View Post
Just matter of time the virus will get there look at what happened to Vietnam they think they defeated the Covid last year guess what the virus is there now.
I think you might have have a poor understanding of the strategy - the eventual spread of Covid is accepted as inevitable, but the aim is to allow it to spread under our terms with the maximum of preparation.

Not a fan of lockdowns myself, but it still pays to understand what the gameplan is.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,456,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
This is not New Zealand's first case of COVID.
I mean, obviously. Who pretended that it was.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:32 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Quote:
So please. let's lesve the hard choices to the professionals who know the riisks and possibilities -- and not to the tea-time talk-show crowd.

Hey 2nd trick:

How did you get that light blue band across the top of your post, the area with username, join date, location, number of posts, etc.?

Old 08-17-2021, 01:36 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Seems our Kiwi friends caught a bad case of faucism......

https://www.axios.com/new-zealand-co...4c3aaea38.html
One case got the whole world infected. China was criticized for not locking down, and therefore allowing it to spread to the whole world.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:06 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I mean, obviously. Who pretended that it was.
Judging from some of the posts here, a number of people believe so, or have been led to believe so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
They must be doing something right if they only have 1 case of Covid.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-17-2021 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 02:09 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Must be something in the water in Australia and New Zealand that made them turn into authoritarian ****holes overnight.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Must be something in the water in Australia and New Zealand that made them turn into authoritarian ****holes overnight.
I can't speak for Australia, but in the case of NZ I think it's a case of preaching to the converted - geography gives NZ an advantage that many countries lack, and the majority of people understand the rationale behind the lockdown.

You shouldn't be too quick to talk about authoritarianism though - doesn't the US outlaw sex between consenting adults .... now that really is screwed up.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:20 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,456,537 times
Quote:
Judgiing from some of the posts here, a number of people believe so, or have been led to believe so.
You know a lot of people here dont bother to read or do research. What was initially done in NZ was harsh - a complete lockdown that even closed drive thrus and grocery stores - but they burned it out quickly. And no I'm not saying the US should've went in total lockdown that shut off access to everything, so if anyones thinking it, dont try it.

Lack of borders do play a role, but the biggest thing is that NZ is simply collectivist rather than induviudalist. In NZ they didnt feel like dealing with the virus for eternity or politicizing it, so they all came to quick agreement, locked down, masked up, and burnt it out.

In America, we are individualist. There is no help your neighbor mentality anymore, its all about me and whatever I believe. We politicized the virus and no one wanted and still doesn't want to work together, and thats why this is never ending.

That's all it really boils down to. So anyone who laughs at NZ is really just making themselves look stupid. NZ has done things right since the beginning. Americans are literally fighting - like fistfighting and shooting each other - over masks, and we want to call NZ a failing state!? Sure, Jan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies