Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2021, 04:19 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Sure.

The vaccines seem to be over 90% effective in preventing infection in the first place. We are about 53% fully vaccinated (this includes people too young to vaccinate) as a country, with about 74% of adults receiving at least one dose.

Using the 53% number, that means approximately 175M Americans are fully vaccinated, about 155M are not. Of those 155M, about 75M are children under 12.

So we have 175M fully vaccinated, and 80M partially or unvaccinated.

Lets say 20% of the unvaccinated group will not receive the vaccination because they believe the hype over alternative treatments. That is about 16M people.

Based on that, we can calculate death counts for each group.

Vaccinated people can expect a total of 315,00 deaths (worst case scenario, assumes only 90% efficacy and a 1.8% death rate), or 1 in every 555 people.

Unvaccinated people, using only the 16M who do not get vaccinated because they prefer unproven alternative treatments, can expect 288,000 deaths (remember this on a much smaller population), or one in every 55 people.

Even assuming 1/2 of alternative treatments are just as effective as the vaccine, that still means 1 in very 110 unvaccinated people die.

But it gets worse than that really. Remember that vaccinated people slow the spread of the virus. Because they get infected less often, they infect fewer people. Unvaccinated people do nothing to slow the spread.

Really, this is simple math. Vaccinations reduce the rate of infection, and of deaths. Not being vaccinated run a high risk of infection, alternative treatments have no proven efficacy, and have higher death rates.

Alternative treatments are like a death tax on the ignorant. But you do what you want.

You, as seemingly everyone trying to calculate, quote, or otherwise manipulate and fanagle these statistics does.....are leaving out an important group.

People who have had Covid, recovered and have natural immunity..

Wonder why it is that they always get left out?

Old 09-05-2021, 04:20 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I thought supplements and herbs were the domain of the left. Look at Whole Foods or Sprouts for example. I used to be in that industry and customer base is very left wing.
It has been that way for a very long time, right along with more classic farther left anti-vaxxers. I used to call them the Prevention Magazine people. It took me a good year to wean my wife off it.

The current batch of right sided anti-vaxxers is a much newer political/pandemic eruption. Medically misinformed useless idiots. To put it mildly, as their learning process is destructive and a big negative on our ability to counter the Pandemic.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:25 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I heard eating polar bear liver protects you from covid!
Ohh wait, it also is fatal. But let's not discuss that part. Let's just discuss this alternate source.

I'm all for homeopathic choices if effective long term.

Like Bella Donna ( a poison) and St John's wart ( a poison) actually do work in ways on certain ailments. As any apothecary will tell you, it's the dosage and purity that are hard to monitor on some of these 'alternate ' choices..

No thank you to invermectin. My body is not modeled after a horse or other livestock.. though I do know some folks who are bull headed or full of it.
And what is your feeling about other pharmaceuticals pushed by Big Pharma and Government Agencies? Such as the COVID vaccines that have been available for under a year with no long-term studies for any issues that may come up. The same vaccines where it is also becoming quite apparent that they do not have any sort of "long term" effectiveness.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:32 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You, as seemingly everyone trying to calculate, quote, or otherwise manipulate and fanagle these statistics does.....are leaving out an important group.

People who have had Covid, recovered and have natural immunity..

Wonder why it is that they always get left out?
I am not trying to manipulate the statistics. I was trying to give a snapshot of the situation as it stands. We do not know how long this natural immunity will last. It could be years, it could be months. But, it really doesn't matter too much. If people are naturally immune, some will also be vaccinated, some will not, and it should more or less come out in the wash.

Plus, I also left out the 648,000 people who have already died. That is a pretty sobering statistic, and should be enough to make any rational person get vaccinated.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:52 PM

30,175 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It has been that way for a very long time, right along with more classic farther left anti-vaxxers. I used to call them the Prevention Magazine people. It took me a good year to wean my wife off it.

The current batch of right sided anti-vaxxers is a much newer political/pandemic eruption. Medically misinformed useless idiots. To put it mildly, as their learning process is destructive and a big negative on our ability to counter the Pandemic.
I think they are anti vaxx because they perceive the left to be pro vaxx. Nothing but a knee jerk reaction. They are pro police when then think the left wants to defund them. Then flip and become anti police when the left defends the January 6th officers who were attacked.

There are groups of religious people like 7th day adventists or Jehovah Witnesses as well as some others that follow vitamins and natural foods closely. Years ago I ran a natural foods business whose clientele ranged white Rasta people with dreadlocks who were vegan and marxists to a large group of 7th day adventists who were big on vitamins and the canned meatless meats like Loma Linda because they did not eat meat. But the average person was just a left wing health food person. I was there during Y2K and it was the religious nuts who bought sacks and sacks of 50 pound grains since they were sure this was the end of civilization. The conspiracy people on the right have always been there. But they use to be the minority. Not any more.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:55 PM

1,094 posts, read 884,437 times
You must obey the Covidictor - even when he falls asleep.

Democrats love the ability to boss people around, so they don't want the pandemic to end.

People have questions because both the virus and the vaccines are not behaving like science say they are supposed to.

Democrats are automatically against anything Trump favored, even if he was right. This is unwarranted hate, not science.

My biggest question is: Why must there be only one treatment?

Old 09-05-2021, 05:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,323 times
Quote:
I am not trying to manipulate the statistics. I was trying to give a snapshot of the situation as it stands. We do not know how long this natural immunity will last. It could be years, it could be months. But, it really doesn't matter too much. If people are naturally immune, some will also be vaccinated, some will not, and it should more or less come out in the wash.

Plus, I also left out the 648,000 people who have already died. That is a pretty sobering statistic, and should be enough to make any rational person get vaccinated.
Here's a nice little number/stat for you; something 99.8 percent effective - in 24 HOURS - "A singe dose (of Ivermectin) reduced the viral load of SARS-CoV-2 in cells by 99.8% in 24 hours" according to a June 2020 study published in the journal Antiviral Research.
That's correct ---> over a YEAR AGO.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:06 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:

We don't know how long immunity from the vaccines lasts either.

If we've actually had 600,000+ deaths and it has an estimated less than 1% morbidity rate, then that's a HELL of a lot of people, who have had Covid with symptoms so mild that they didn't even know that they had it or thought it was a cold/flu or even knew it was Covid because they tested positive..

That's at least 60 million people walking around with at least some degree of natural immunity.

Then you have groups of people thought to have natural immunity by blood type or who knows why.

All these people add up to a significant number that never seems to be included or discussed when quoting statistics..

Old 09-05-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
People have questions because both the virus and the vaccines are not behaving like science say they are supposed to.
Then you do not understand science.

Things do not behave the way science says they should. Science describes the way things actually work.

So, we observe how the vaccine operates in the world, then we develop a hypothesis as to why it does that. The hypothesis is used to make predictions, which are again tested against the real world activities.

Eventually we have a good understanding of how things work, then we used that understanding to predict real world events.

This is a new virus. We are still largely in the observation stage. For you to say anything else merely shows your scientific ignorance, your political bias, or both.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
We don't know how long immunity from the vaccines lasts either.

If we've actually had 600,000+ deaths and it has an estimated less than 1% morbidity rate,
Actual morbidity rate has been observed to be closer to 1.8%

Quote:
then that's a HELL of a lot of people, who have had Covid with symptoms so mild that they didn't even know that they had it or thought it was a cold/flu or even knew it was Covid because they tested positive..

That's at least 60 million people walking around with at least some degree of natural immunity.
Closer to 40 million, because you have an error on your morbidity rate. But that is largely irrelevant to your point, because the fact remains that we have a significant portion of the population that has not been infected and has no immunity. This portion is avoiding vaccination, when the numbers clearly show that they are making a self-destructive decision.

Quote:
Then you have groups of people thought to have natural immunity by blood type or who knows why.
Insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Plus, how are you supposed to know if you are one of the very, very rare people who may have some sort of natural immunity. This is something we do not know the rate of (might very well be zero), we do not know how to test. So you want to gamble your health and life on a maybe? That makes no sense.

Quote:
All these people add up to a significant number that never seems to be included or discussed when quoting statistics..
No, you do not understand the statistics. We are talking about people with no immunity vs people with immunity. The fact that you are trying to make the groups muddy and indistinct does not mean that the medical profession has done the same silly thing.

People who get vaccinated are less likely to get infected, less likely to suffer severe symptoms, and less likely to die.

Therefore, people who choose to gamble with alternative medications are simply playing a game of biological Russian roulette.

Sorry if you do not understand the math, but the epidemiologists in every country in the world do. You should listen to the experts on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies